Recalculating?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Schludde

Recalculating?

Post by Schludde »

I'am a bit ashamed to ask this as it feel a bit like cheating.
But still I am curios to know, wether saved games that are reloaded come up systematically with the same result of an event happening immediately after the reloading. It seems to me as it is that way, but maybe you got other experiences?

Two examples:
1. My most valuable Spy gets caught and killed. I happend to save the game just seconds before that. I reloaded a couple of times, but he always gets killed.

2. I tried (not knowing if it is even theoretically possible) to colonize a boscara indipendent planet with a Ikkuro-Colony-Ship. It always fails. I know it should usually fail, as it says "most unlikely". But most unlikely is not 0%. It's - I don't know, maybe 2%. So is it possible with reloading?

Starke

RE: Recalculating?

Post by Starke »

Don't be. I save often because I play on full manual, and I can't afford some goof where accidentally removing the energy collectors from my mining station design I altered two game years ago destroys my economy. Also, to catch that damn auto-refit bug. >.<

I know for a fact that some outcomes are totally mutable - for example once I had to reload a save and what was previously a successful espionage mission became a failure, and I've seen the reverse as well.

That said, it's possible that the outcome to that spy mission was actually decided an in-game few days/week ahead of when you actually were send the failure notice - e.g. before you saved, and therefore he will always die. It depends on how the event dice rolls and handled behind the curtain - we don't know exactly how it works.

And I have no idea on the colony ship. Ive never had to reload before a colony attempt with a chance of failure - mainly because I greet independent colonies with foot soldiers, not a colony ship.[:D]Try dropping some troops on their head instead, you get to save a valuable colony ship.
The Distant Worlds sale made my purchase possible. Thank you!
turtlefang

RE: Recalculating?

Post by turtlefang »

If you really want to save your intel agent, you can cancel the mission.

As far as the bosaka go, forget it. They are homicidal bugs that will just kill anything that lands there. Sometimes, if you have a good relations AND the receiving race is passive they will occasionally greet the ship and join you. (If it is the same race as you, most of the time they will). But the chance is really low even in that case. With the races that "have other plans for you" and routinely set up penal colonies, you might as well "Sent in the Mobile Infantry". And garrison for a while. A colony ship is either a free meal or free target practice - take your pick.

As far as when the success die roll is made for intel missions or colony landing, I have no idea. And I reload only when I made a mistake (like forgetting to put warp engines on my colony ships instead of war bubbles.)

But I have cancelled intel missions. especially when I get cold feet at some point.

So, I think those are your options. Cancel the intel mission, and reroute the colony ship to use somewhere else.

Return to “The War Room”