The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by JohnDillworth »

We keep a bottle of the chili garlic sauce in the fridge. Not sure that we've ever tried the other type in the picture, but we have plenty other types. We're not spicy food aficionados, so we don't eat as much as you're talking about. My wife can generally take things much spicier than I can, but I've noticed it depends on the spice. At our local Thai restaurant we order the green curry, she gets it at #4 (out of 5), and I have #5. And I eat it without the rice (low carb!).
Try the other one. It should be in your supermarket, perhaps in the ethnic food section. It is quite hot, but adds quite a bit of flavor. A little bit goes a long way.
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

the great P-40K - doesn't do nearly as well as I had hoped
If they are fighting KB pilots that are probably at a significant experience disadvantage. You Navy boys may do better. When the storm passes you have to figure a way to get the RAF into the mix. Their pilot pools have more experience at this point in the war. Talking baout the fighters, the bombers not so much
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

My army fighter pilots are now uber experienced after waging the violent and successfull air war in Burma that lasted from June through October. The problem seems to be that while I intended to transfer two P-40K squadrons to Langsa, I actually transfered one of them and one P-40E.  Oops.

I know what you mean about drawing on the RAF, but I've got to keep some fighters in Burma theater.  Since the RAF fighters have short legs, they get that duty (they can't make the hop from Ceylon or Ramree to Sabang, but the Warhawks and Lightnings can.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The pilots of the 39th FS are typical of my Army fighter squadrons at Sabang. These guys had 25 P-40K to face hundreds of enemy fighters while on LRCAP over Medan yesterday. They lost eight planes, but few if any pilots. They're fatigued now, so I'll pull them back to Sabang.

Attachments
39thFight..120142.jpg
39thFight..120142.jpg (97.75 KiB) Viewed 488 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Judging by the numbers, the Allies have done very well in the air war to date. Japan has taken many more losses. The Allied fighter pools are now drained, however, so going forward it's going to be very difficult to wage war. If the Japanese pools are likewise strained to the breaking point, okay. But if the Japanese have plenty of fighters, isn't there something wrong? I mean, if the Allies can wage war effectively but end up in worse position than Japan? I think this is a common questions, but here are the numbers that paint the picture well, I think. What do you guys think?

As of 12/1/42

Japanes Planes Downed: 7,122
Allied Planes Downed: 4,673

The Allies have lost almost exactly two-thirds the number of aircraft that Japan has lost. So, if anybody should be straining for aircraft now it should be Japan, right?

Here are the top 15 model losses in the game (12 of these are Japanese, three are Allied)

982 Tojo
800 Betty
778 A6M2 Zero
764 P-40E
576 B5N2 Kate
428 Ic Oscar
421 Jake
403 G3M2 Nell
381 Lily
323 IIa Sally
322 Ic Sally
316 P-39D
314 Ia Helen
268 D3A1 Val
261 A6M3b Zero
248 Hurricane IIb

American Fighter Pools

10 P-39D (a few squadrons still on map with less than half strength)
0 P-40E (a half dozen squadrons still on map, most at half strength or less)
7 P-400 (no sqadrons on map)
0 P-38E (one squadron on map with 7 planes, plus several restricted on West Coast)
0 P-38F (no squadrons on map)
4 P-38G (one squadron on map with 9 planes)
14 P-40K (five squadrons on map, mainly full strength)

RAF Fighter Pools - nothing, except a couple of Hurricanes

American Bomber Pools

0 B-17E (a few understrength squadrons on map)
12 B-17F (a few understrength squadrons on map)
4 B-24D (a handful of understrenght squadrons on map)
16 B-25B (one squadron on map)
3 B-25 C (a half dozen squadrons on map in decent shape)
11 A20A (one squadron on map)
0 B-26B (three squadrons on map with zero or one plane)

RAF Bomber Pools - nothing, except two or three Wellingtons

Are these numbers skewed or is this the intent of AE (or Reluctant Admiral)? Is Japan really supposed to be the major industrial power while the Allies lag badly?

If the Allies wage a mainly defensive air war, successfully judging by the numbers, but still run out of aircraft, is the intent to reign in the Allies and keep them fighting largely defensively in '42 (and probably well into '43)?

Or do I have a skewed mod or am I misreading things?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

AFAIK that's the way AE is. Mods could change that by upping Allied production or perhaps by straining the Japanese economy more. Those who have played with PDF=Off say that makes a huge difference too.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

So Japan is the industrial power.  The Allies (when it comes to air power) are second rate.  Yikes!
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I don't know this mod well but I think resources are a bit lower for Japan than in some other other mods. More carriers, more zeros, more cruisers and some BC's and destroyers too but I don't think unlimited resources so he might not be able to produce billions of planes. you are going to be hamstrung until you start to get P-47's but more importantly Hellcats. Late 43 you can play the numbers game a bit more. Just drag as much AAA as you can to your big airfields. Might help even the score a bit but you can't win a numbers game in the air
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

What's with the ironclad hamster?  [:)]
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

I am pretty sure you are already doing this but have you swapped out all training planes with older models of fighters to free up any newer aircraft at CONUS or other training areas?
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Judging by the numbers, the Allies have done very well in the air war to date. Japan has taken many more losses. The Allied fighter pools are now drained, however, so going forward it's going to be very difficult to wage war. If the Japanese pools are likewise strained to the breaking point, okay. But if the Japanese have plenty of fighters, isn't there something wrong? I mean, if the Allies can wage war effectively but end up in worse position than Japan? I think this is a common questions, but here are the numbers that paint the picture well, I think. What do you guys think?

As of 12/1/42

Japanes Planes Downed: 7,122
Allied Planes Downed: 4,673

The Allies have lost almost exactly two-thirds the number of aircraft that Japan has lost. So, if anybody should be straining for aircraft now it should be Japan, right?

Here are the top 15 model losses in the game (12 of these are Japanese, three are Allied)

982 Tojo
800 Betty
778 A6M2 Zero
764 P-40E
576 B5N2 Kate
428 Ic Oscar
421 Jake
403 G3M2 Nell
381 Lily
323 IIa Sally
322 Ic Sally
316 P-39D
314 Ia Helen
268 D3A1 Val
261 A6M3b Zero
248 Hurricane IIb

American Fighter Pools

0 P-38E (one squadron on map with 7 planes, plus several restricted on West Coast)

American Bomber Pools

Are these numbers skewed or is this the intent of AE (or Reluctant Admiral)? Is Japan really supposed to be the major industrial power while the Allies lag badly?

If the Allies wage a mainly defensive air war, successfully judging by the numbers, but still run out of aircraft, is the intent to reign in the Allies and keep them fighting largely defensively in '42 (and probably well into '43)?

I don't think you're misreading anything. With Japan being able to control production, this will always be an issue. You are stuck with historical AC numbers regardless of how well you're doing in the game. Also, I don't know what John has tweeked for RA. I would like to think he hasn't made it a Jap wet dream that only benefits him... I just don't know.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

I am pretty sure you are already doing this but have you swapped out all training planes with older models of fighters to free up any newer aircraft at CONUS or other training areas?

You can't do that with the majority of them. You can swap good fighters for good fighters really...if he was producing 100 Lancers a month, then yes, that would be great..but you mainly swap out AC for Warhawks which he needs right now. Besides, his pools are so low to swap out ac anyways...to "upgrade/downgrade" you have to have the full amount of AC to fill out the squadron to begin with. Usually 25 planes in the early stages of the game.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

American Fighter Pools

American Bomber Pools

This has been our experience up to April 43 in AE scenario 2. The best you can do is convert some P-40E or P-39 squadrons to P-40K (when available), thus freeing up spare P-40E's or P-39's to fill up the remaining understrength squadrons. Also, if you have rear area P-39 squadrons, back-convert to P-400 or P-43 or P-36 and free up the P-39's for the front lines.

You will not have enough P-38's. Try not to get them killed. (there are very few P-38 squadrons that can be down-converted...this is 100% true for the resitrcted P-38 squadrosn in CONUS). When you start getting USMC Corsairs, things will get a bit better.
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

When I play against the AI one of the first things I do is get USMC F4U squadrons to Aden so I can dispense them to that area of the war. I know this is a-historic but I play the game like I am the boss, not trying to strictly emulate history. Once I can get some F4Us and P47s in the air over Burma the situation changes quickly. I must say that I am really enjoying this AAR, and many of these idea will be used in my next game.
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Another trick is to cannibalize airframes from a squadron fragment into another squadron of the same plane type at the same base. Use the "disband" button. As the donor squadron main element is at another base, the donor squadron remains in the game but with fewer pilots and planes.

In this fashion, you can create a nearly full squadron while drawing down but not disbanding the donor squadron. Then you send the donor squadron to a rear area to build up slowly with replacement aircraft.
Ol_Dog

Post by Ol_Dog »

We believe you because you are a long way from Washington
Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.
princep01

Post by princep01 »

Has anyone tried disbanding one of those P-38E squadrons in the US that is otherwise stuck there?  If you have, do any of the planes end up in the replacement pool or do they just disappear altogether?  I have been tempted to try this, but the squadrons are otherwise useful for training and do come in very handy should the ambitious imperials try invading the US.

Cap't Mandrake, the change out routine you describe is useful and I encourage Canoe to do it if and when he can.

In my current game the air combat has not been intense (late September 42 and both sides have lost only about 2200 planes).  So, my pools are better than those shown by Canoe, but they still aren't what I would call "healthy".  I just think it is primarily a function of the game.  Even though the US only committed something like 30% of its AC production to the Pacific (if I recall correctly), it still seems like the US is getting the short straw when the imperials get PDU on option.

Canoe, I think you have already learned this, but upgrades can be done "pierside" rather than in the shipyard.  There is no penalty for using pierside that I have detected.  However, looking at the list of ships in Colombo, you might want to consider losing a bit of time in exchange for safety and send some of these to Capetown to repair.  If the imperials try a lightning port strike on Colombo, it might be very damaging for you.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I figured you guys might appreciate an update that will help bring closure to the OpSec question.  John and I have exchanged lengthy but not exhaustive emails (that might take several emails).  The person who originally notified me of his own OpSec concerns also wrote John a lengthy and particularly well written email.  So John is fully aware of what happened, he's aware that I'm not taking night-bombing precautions until further notice, and we've briefly discussed night bombing (he didn't come right out and say it, but I think he intends to keep it at the historical nuisance level, which suits me fine and which I will reciprocate).  This all came together very nicely.  I don't think the slightest questions exist with regard to anybody involved in either AAR.  And that concludes the matter, as far as I'm concerned.
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

What's with the ironclad hamster?  [:)]
http://jezebel.com/you-know-you-want-th ... -513970283

ETA; The winning bid for the hamster chainmail was $24300 ... [:'(]
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Hmm, I'm playing at pretty much the same date as you in a Scenario 1 game vs Damian and I've lost 5200 planes but have more than enough P40Es, P40Ks and P39s to fill all my frontline squadrons.

Are you wasting a load of them on rear area training or rear area CAP or something? I have mine at the spearpoint pretty much. I'd be happy to send you a save game if you want to compare losses and numbers on map.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

Return to “After Action Reports”