A gift to Hollywood

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

A gift to Hollywood

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yes, I am feeling generous, and I have decided to explain how the Hold Card for ATG A New Dawn works.

Hollywoods mission seems to be to get all these cards explained, and this could well be a chance to get at least one of the explained.

To find out how it works, I first go into Cards, and see what events it triggers. It triggers two events. The first one is the PreSelect Event. (73). The second event it triggers is the effect of the Card .... (79).

So, I now look at the Event screen, and scroll down to 73.

It is a simple event that lets you target any friendly unit within headquarter range, of the HQ.

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

RE: A gift to Hollywood

Post by ernieschwitz »

Then I turn my attention to event 79, the one that describes what the event does.

The first lines define a few variables. And then calls a function called FunctionRisk (event 76 btw).

Lets write up the variables it defines (event 79), and then look at event 76.

Firstly it sets TempVar1 = CheckTurn, which basically means that it sets the Variable to the current turn number, or regimenumber, this is an old trick.

Then it sets the unit that plays the card to be TempVar4.. you can find this out by checking event 73, where tempvar 4 is defined.

Then it sets some vars, that i am sure are going to be passed on to the Risk Function (76). These are

TempVars 901, 902, 911, 912.

Lets go check what it uses them for.... we now look at event 76.

The first line in the code says it all. It is a note to the programmer.

Here it says that TempVar 900, is the officer in question, TempVar 901 is the wound chance, TempVar 902 is the death chance, and TempVar 911 is what kind of wound we are dealing with, and 912, is the type of death we are dealing with. (Ok I Simplified alittle, 911, and 912 are tables of what kind they are).

The function then returns the value for the result of the risk as TempVar 950. If it is 1 then wounded, if it is 2 then death, if it is 0 then nothing happens to your officer.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Leaving the details of how it is determined what wound and how wounded etc. for others to delve into here are the numbers for the Vars in function 79.

10% chance of being wounded.
3 % chance of death.

If the function (the one we described in the previous post) gives no wounds or death occuring, then the following happens. (what the card does).

First the level is checked (by the function get level, not described in this).

Then a random function kicks in. It is set to TempVar 6. The number will be between 0 and 99.

This number is divided by 3. giving a number between 0 and 33. Then 10 is added. The number is now between 10 and 43.

TempVar 999 is then timed by four which is the level of the officer (TempVar 999 defined in the getlevel function).

TempVar 6, our number between 10 and 43, is now added with the officers level, times 4.

The commander, is then given an amount of XP (not described by this). And a message to this effect is given to the player.

Ok so far so good...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Now comes the real effect of the card, what we've all been waiting for:

A defensive bonus equal to our number from before (the 10 to 43 plus whatever)... is added to infantry units in the formation.

A defensive bonus equal to our number from before divided by 2 (...) ... is added to artillery units in the formation.

And lastly but not least...

A defensive bonus equal to our number form before diveded by 4 (...) ... is added to any armor units in the formation.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

So what it all boils down to is the following.

A random number between 10-43 + level * 4 is used as a baseline for the effectiveness of the card.

this Baseline is then used for the Infantry formations in the Unit you chose. It is half of that for the Artillery units in the Unit you chose, and one quarter for the tank units.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

Great gift Ernie! Thanks.

I appreciate the time in breaking down the formula on the % bonus and officer injury/death %. All good stuff for those wondering about the inner workings of ATG.

You didn't happen to dig up anything related to injuries / return to work formulation did you? I haven't had an officer return from injury yet, so injury = death. Don't feel "obligated" to track this down. Just thinking this is a tweak which should be handled for a future release as I'm sure it wasn't intended to take an officer off the board permanently when injured.

Thanks again!
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Hollywood

I appreciate the time in breaking down the formula on the % bonus and officer injury/death %. All good stuff for those wondering about the inner workings of ATG.

You didn't happen to dig up anything related to injuries / return to work formulation did you? I haven't had an officer return from injury yet, so injury = death. Don't feel "obligated" to track this down. Just thinking this is a tweak which should be handled for a future release as I'm sure it wasn't intended to take an officer off the board permanently when injured.

Thanks again!

What! Certainly not. That this Officer has a great time in Paris and therefor a bit late for duty...who can blame him? In all seriousness I *never* had an officer *not* return to his duty, sure somtimes it can take a whole year or so. But they do always come back.
Heck I had Officers sick for a year...and then after the second card played * poof* off again into sickleave lol.
Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Thanks again!

What! Certainly not. That this Officer has a great time in Paris and therefor a bit late for duty...who can blame him? In all seriousness I *never* had an officer *not* return to his duty, sure somtimes it can take a whole year or so. But they do always come back.
Heck I had Officers sick for a year...and then after the second card played * poof* off again into sickleave lol.

Well, yes, rehab and all that = pretty nurses, wine and cigars while the rest of us are sleeping in cold foxholes/trenches. Functionally, he's dead though in regard to the troops. Obviously I just haven't played a game long enough to have one of my guys recover. I like the fact that there are three potential outcomes to leading your troops: a) death, b) injury and c) nothing, I just am not fan of the fact that it's just one more factor in taking one of the "funner" elements (an officer) off the game board/battlefield.

Wonder if we can code in a way to replace the downed officer with a lesser light officer while he's away or permanently while dead. If your officer was a +25% guy, then next guy in line is a +15%er. Maybe you get charged 5-10 PP for such a replacement rather than the full officer PP fee.

How about a message indicating estimated date of return give or take a month? "He broke is leg in the attack and is expected back in June of 41".

No I don't want to write a new officer mod to implement my ideas. :)
Josh

Post by Josh »

Well, yes, rehab and all that = pretty nurses, wine and cigars while the rest of us are sleeping in cold foxholes/trenches. Functionally, he's dead though in regard to the troops. Obviously I just haven't played a game long enough to have one of my guys recover. I like the fact that there are three potential outcomes to leading your troops: a) death, b) injury and c) nothing, I just am not fan of the fact that it's just one more factor in taking one of the "funner" elements (an officer) off the game board/battlefield.

Wonder if we can code in a way to replace the downed officer with a lesser light officer while he's away or permanently while dead. If your officer was a +25% guy, then next guy in line is a +15%er. Maybe you get charged 5-10 PP for such a replacement rather than the full officer PP fee.

How about a message indicating estimated date of return give or take a month? "He broke is leg in the attack and is expected back in June of 41".

Well that is the way it already works .. sort of. Your Officer gets wounded and his Uber-elite-skillz are replaced by a new Officer straight from West Point with a lot less Officer bonus..it's in the Officers info box. Not only can he manage less troops but also gives them a lot less bonus.... unless you want to transfer a well experienced Officer from another front... usually the answer to that is no.

I just am not fan of the fact that it's just one more factor in taking one of the "funner" elements (an officer) off the game board/battlefield.
Yeah I can agree with you on that, maybe Vic shouldn't remove it but make the chances of injury a lot less common. I've had quite a few games where I had only a few Officers... they were hit much too often by accidens. [:(]

Hollywood7

Post by Hollywood7 »

Josh - you know what would be interesting: if the degree of injury/death were directly tied to the result of the actions which take place via the card. If you play the HOLD card and your guys still get smoked in the ensuing combat, then your guy is more likely to get killed/injured whereas if the result is very positive for your unit then the resulting chances of him getting sent to the hospital/graves registration is much less likely.

Let's face it, if you play a Blitz card and you get repulsed, the result that your officer got killed in the action is much more understandable then if you play the Hold card and he breaks his leg despite never getting assaulted.

That might be a bit tough to code tho. We can dream...

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”