Can we assign every pilot to the dayly mission?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

blubasso

Can we assign every pilot to the dayly mission?

Post by blubasso »

Hello, second question:

i wish to know if i could assign the pilots i want, for a given mission. I read the manual but it says anything about it. At least i didn't found it in the manual...

I mean: is there some button or whatever to say to my pilots: "You today fly, you instead stay to play cards in pilot's barracks"?
More precisely: if in a squadron i have 10 pilots, 4 very experienced and 6 Rookies, and i need to fly a realtively safe mission (i.e. bombard an enemy Base with only base engeneers into it) can i adjust the "today" mission just for the 6 Rookies? And the day after i need to bombard Rabaul (in the first months on '42) and i NEED experienced ones so a part of the Rookies stay ground because they cannot really safely perform that mission?

Amoral

RE: Can we assign every pilot to the dayly mission?

Post by Amoral »

It is a lot of clicking, but in the airgroup panel there is a button at the bottom for pilots. If you really don't want a pilot to fly that day you can put him into group reserve. That's an extreme level of micro management though, considering you likely have 2-3000 pilots to check.

I only monitor fatigue at the squadron level.
blubasso

Post by blubasso »

Well, not every pilot in every squadron ever in the Pacific... Just the second lines rookie pilots (50 EXP or similar, not the 30: they are too airnew and they need just to safely train in Homeland with experienced pilotes) which need to have a pump up "safely" war experience. And nor the experienced ones (75 up EXP), i need them more on real "evil" combat than i.e. bombard a empty enemy base

So i can, even if it's a lot of click. Well: i don't worry myself about clicking a lot.

Thanx for the answer. Have a good game (and life in general) [:)]
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

In fact it is as simple as setting a mission percentage.

Pilots are chosen for a mission depending on their experience and fatigure levels. This means, the higher the exp the higher the chance for the pilot to fly a mission. The lower the fatigue the higher the chance for a pilot to fly a mission.

So, in case fatigue is low, simply set the rest percentage to the percentage of low exp pilots and you would expect only a very low number of them to participate on the mission.

But in general a pilot too low skilled or without enough exp has no place in a combat area. Better relocate such pilots to a backwater base and train em up.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

while placing the lower-skilled pilots in Group Reserve will preserve them from flying combat, it has some bad effects.

- the active pilots will fly more often & gain fatigue faster.

- when active pilots are killed, the game will automatically transfer pilots from Group Reserve to fill out the Active roster, up to the # of aircraft in the group. A group may contain 133% pilots of its max aircraft strength (a group that can have 12 airplanes may have 16 pilots). Only if the # of pilots > # of aircraft, will the excess pilots be kept in reserve.

I've found only 1 good use for Group Reserve - to place a leader-pilot behind a desk while his boys do the flying. Say I've got a leader-pilot (he'll be in Red in the pilot list) w/ decent leadership skills but really bad air skill in his group's mission. Rather than pay Political Points to change the leader, he goes to Group Reserve.

A much better use of your click-time is a wholesale transfer of pilots between airgroups by transfering them to/from General Reserve. Each group shoud contain pilots w/ similar Experience & Mission skills - say a variance of 3 or 4 across the whole group. Pilots w/ high Exp are for active ops, low-experience men are in groups that Train at 100%, range=0.

This is a particularly daunting task, given the total # of pilots in the game. So, make a monthly schedule - the 1st day work on USArmy Fighters, 2nd day is USArmy Bombers, 3rd day might be British Fighters, u.s.w.

I've found that airgroups train the mission skills more uniformly, when all pilots in the group have a similar Exp rating.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Amoral

It is a lot of clicking, but in the airgroup panel there is a button at the bottom for pilots. If you really don't want a pilot to fly that day you can put him into group reserve. That's an extreme level of micro management though, considering you likely have 2-3000 pilots to check.

I only monitor fatigue at the squadron level.

I tried to do this and it works to some extent.

I had a restricted Betty unit stationed in Formosa and was using it on ground attack against Chinese LCUs. I was trying to build up experience in newly trained pilots. I would take the more experienced pilots and put them into group reserve since it was the rookies I wanted flying. Unfortunately, each turn the computer would take about 25% of those pilots and return them to active duty on its own. I don't know if this is a bug, or just a "feature".
blubasso

Post by blubasso »

Well, my first idea was to alternate the days in wich a group of pilotes will fly.

Exemple:
Day 1: Easy starfing mission, just the Rookies will fly, the others (experienced) stay on ground to have a little chat, sleep and so on.
Day 2: Medium/Hard Mission, all the experienced pilots will fly. The Rookies rest.
And so on...

I know i can let some airplane in reserve so i could place them off duty, to avoid that the game will take pilots on group reserve.
And you can say to the game that a percentage of airplanes will rest, in the percentage mission screen. Do you know? That buttons you click and you will tell to the game: 60% will fly; 10% train and 30% rest, for exemple. With a simple calculation you can count your active airplane, tell the game that a given pergentage of them will not fly and the rest will be the planes wich will fly...

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

That isn't micro-management that is nano-management.

Bring up at least moderately well trained pilots (use "request veteran") and send the rookies back to the pool. Then let the AI rotate out fatigued pilots.

Train up the rookies stateside or in rear areas and then feed them into reserves.

jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: blubasso

Well, my first idea was to alternate the days in wich a group of pilotes will fly.

Exemple:
Day 1: Easy starfing mission, just the Rookies will fly, the others (experienced) stay on ground to have a little chat, sleep and so on.
Day 2: Medium/Hard Mission, all the experienced pilots will fly. The Rookies rest.
And so on...
Low-skill pilots die fast, even on a 'milk-run'. Low-altitude strafing missions are v. vulnerable to the defender's CAP and Flak. Expect lots of aircraft losses, 'cos a low-Exp pilot will wipe out his damaged plane on landing, while a high-Exp pilot is more likely to survive the landing & bring a repairable plane back to base.
I know i can let some airplane in reserve so i could place them off duty, to avoid that the game will take pilots on group reserve.
And you can say to the game that a percentage of airplanes will rest, in the percentage mission screen. Do you know? That buttons you click and you will tell to the game: 60% will fly; 10% train and 30% rest, for exemple. With a simple calculation you can count your active airplane, tell the game that a given pergentage of them will not fly and the rest will be the planes wich will fly...
Take a tip from the experienced guys here who've answered you post - put your low-skill pilots in rear-area groups for training, & move high-skill pilots into the airgroups that are conducting combat missions.

FYI: Combat pilots w/ Exp & relevant mission skills should have #s in the 70s, pilots in the 50s should be training in the rear. Semi-trained pilots in the 60s could go either way, depending on your needs.
blubasso

Post by blubasso »

Ok, it seem to me that my "clever idea" was not so clever...
If almost all the experienced players who answered me said that this isn't a good idea, well: it will be so...

[:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”