Early game vs late game

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

WCG

Early game vs late game

Post by WCG »

This is my first game of Distant Worlds: Shadows, and I'm playing an empire which started pre-warp. It's been a lot of fun, with the pirates being so strong at first. But now, they're no threat, and nothing else is, either, and the game has really slowed down, given how much bigger my empire is now.

So I'm thinking of starting over. But I'm wondering if I should give it a little more time.

Note that I've never played any of the other Distant Worlds games. And in the options, when I started this one, all of the story elements of the previous games were checked. (I left them that way. Was that a good idea?)

But so far, I haven't seen anything... eventful. There is a location which dozens of ruins have pointed out, but that's clear on the other side of the map, and my exploration ships can't even get there yet.

I don't want spoilers. I'm just wondering if I should continue to play this game, when it's become pretty easy, or start a new one, given that I enjoyed the early game so much. Any advice?

I'd looked at Distant Worlds before, but the huge cost of buying all of the games, in order to play the latest, always put me off it. But fighting against pirates in the Age of Shadows was just too appealing, so I took advantage of the sale and bought it.

And that still seems the most appealing part of the game, to me. I tend to like the early parts of games anyway, where you start with virtually nothing, very weak and undeveloped. I like to build a civilization, but once I do, the minutiae of running it doesn't interest me much.

But I don't want to quit just before something interesting happens, either. So, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Starke

RE: Early game vs late game

Post by Starke »

I'm fairly new too and so far have played with the story off, but I know that the story events, once triggered, have a big effect on the game. IIRC there will be special ruins, a lot more wrecked ships, a special, powerful faction - the Ancient Guardians, have you encountered them? - and eventually... well, I won't spoil it. But 'Return of the Shakturi' pretty much spells out what what happens, and they're less interested in being friends than they are imitating the Yuuzhan Vong. >:)
The Distant Worlds sale made my purchase possible. Thank you!
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

In most strategy games, I play 1-4 practice games where I learn the interface and game system. After I've learned those things, then I get serious and play a 'real' game.

I would say: start again. Change whatever settings you want and move on.
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Just because you checked all the story line boxes in your setup doesn't mean that all events will occur in the current game. There are other triggers that need to happen(and sometimes they don't happen, anyway). It doesn't seem like you have played long enough or explored enough to quit at this time. You said that your explorer ships cannot reach distant parts of the galaxy.

I would play a little longer and at least try to complete the rest of the tech tree. You might need those advanced techs for some reason.[:D]
Old............but very fast
WCG

Post by WCG »

OK, thanks, guys. I'm kind of curious how a different galaxy will go, so I might save my current game and try a new one just to see which seems more fun. But I'm still thinking about it. Thanks for the advice!

Bill
hfl13

Post by hfl13 »

Hi Bill,

if you have checked all the event boxes than that includes the "Return of the Shakturi" Storyline.

The Shakturi Storyline has many events and is an absolute highlight for playing the first time. Playing on would definitely be worth your time because this was the action packed first expansion.

That storyline will either kill you or present the ultimate victory. After three games with "RotS" now I no longer check the box because I want to play longer.

Don´t search for "Shakturi" Threads because those are full of spoilers.
DW+RotS+Legends+Shadows 1.9.0.8
WCG

Post by WCG »

ORIGINAL: hfl13

The Shakturi Storyline has many events and is an absolute highlight for playing the first time. Playing on would definitely be worth your time because this was the action packed first expansion.

OK, thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. :)

I did start a new game, just briefly, to see if that would catch my attention. But, surprisingly, I found myself missing my old game, so I'll probably go back to that.

Really, I haven't had the time to play as much as I want, anyway, and that's probably why things seem to be moving so slowly right now.

Bill
paShadoWn

Post by paShadoWn »

I dont quite understand your problem. When galaxy isnt conquered, you conquer galaxy. When it is, you start new game. Sitting on empire just "running" it is pointless indeed. I think you missed the old Master of Orion 2. There a point of conquering the galaxy was more pronunciated. If you didnt it, you got wiped. In Distant Worlds you can just sit in peece but thats entirely up to you and how hamster you are.
Do not hesitate to flee.
Plant

Post by Plant »

I don't understand his problem either. For me the "minutiae of running" simply means I am not playing the game but staring at a screen not thinking nor doing anything. My games are full of exploration and discovery and planning and execution of the defence and attacks that make up the eventual conquering the galaxy.

Would be helpful if he actually describes what he means by this "minutiae of running" .
WCG

Post by WCG »

ORIGINAL: paShadoWn

I dont quite understand your problem. When galaxy isnt conquered, you conquer galaxy.

It's not exactly a problem. But I guess I'm more of an RPG fan than a strategy gamer (though I enjoy the strategy of both kinds of games). In this case, I was building up my empire, and expanding through the galaxy, but not "conquering" the galaxy. Generally speaking, if someone doesn't mess with me, I don't mess with them.

At the beginning, when I was weak, there were plenty of pirate factions willing to mess with me. Later, I was stronger than the other empires, and allied with my biggest rival, and pirates were no longer a threat. Sure, I could just pick someone to attack, but that wouldn't interest me. I'd rather be attacked.

At any rate, I haven't had much time to play, so it's kind of a moot point. I did start a new game, but I saved my old game. However, I haven't gone much further in either.

Plant

Post by Plant »

So...you have no aim in your game than to let pirates attack you.
No suprise that you'll get bored then.
WCG

Post by WCG »

ORIGINAL: Plant

So...you have no aim in your game than to let pirates attack you.
No suprise that you'll get bored then.

Oh, I have aims. My aim is to survive and prosper. But I'm not much of a wargamer.

The thing is, people have different tastes, different preferences. And that's OK. We don't all have to like the same things - not in games, not in books, not in movies, not in music.

I hear gamers sometimes who even argue against options in games, because everyone else just has to play a game the way they think it should be played. Funny, huh? I think that kind of authoritarian mindset is funny anyway, but in a game?

Games are subjective, and we only play them for fun. What's fun for me might not be fun for you, and vice versa. So what? I don't have to like country-western music just because you do. Tastes vary, and that's a good thing.

I tend to be a builder in games. I like creation more than destruction (though I need that destruction, too - Sim City doesn't do anything for me). But that shouldn't have anything to do with you. Why would you care what I enjoy from a game? That's never made any sense to me.

I'm enjoying this game, but I'm enjoying lots of other games at the same time, and I can't devote as much time as I'd wish to any of them. I was looking for suggestions, just because I don't have the time to do everything. And I got some good comments, too. They were helpful.

Bill
Plant

Post by Plant »

Um...yes? You can play whatever way you like.

What you can't do is whine about "the minutiae of running", and not expect a response, when there is nothing to do in a game that you have purposefully chosen to do so.

Do you understand?

You can play any way you like.
You chose to play in a way you find boring.
You complained about being bored.
WCG

Post by WCG »

ORIGINAL: Plant

You complained about being bored.

Where?

This is what I said:
But fighting against pirates in the Age of Shadows was just too appealing, so I took advantage of the sale and bought it.

And that still seems the most appealing part of the game, to me. I tend to like the early parts of games anyway, where you start with virtually nothing, very weak and undeveloped. I like to build a civilization, but once I do, the minutiae of running it doesn't interest me much.

This was my first game, so I wasn't sure what to expect from it later. Most of the people commenting were helpful. But not you.

So I tried to explain what I enjoy in games, how we might have different tastes, but you just wanted to bitch. How did you think that would be helpful? Apparently, that's not why you post here, huh?

If that's the way you want to be, fine. I'm done. I do thank the previous commenters who were interested in being useful.

Bill

Return to “The War Room”