When?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

michaelbaldur

RE: Proper Place?

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

warspite1

Sad..sad...sad...

So all you do is barrack from the safety of your keyboard, bitch like a stuck pig, winge and moan like a girl about the game and the graphics, slag Steve and the beta testers off and tell anyone that listens (no one btw) that this game will never happen AND YET - you are responsible for 40 hits per month (btw it was 15-20 you said last month). Have you really got nothing better to do with your life? Do you not understand how sad that makes you? I really think you need to get a life.

you crossed the line warspite.

personal attacks are really uncalled for.
warspite1

So you are happy for personal attacks against Steve but not against this timewaster? Yeah, whatever.... [8|]

we all want answers. and there is clearly no answers in the WHEN thread.

we are all frustrated with the progress on the game.

I just wondering, where is all the rest of the wif players. why are they not here demanding a change in pace.

I fear that we have lost many of them
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Tonqeen

Post by Tonqeen »

Im back, shoho!
I realy realy hope that this game will be computorized
wfzimmerman

Post by wfzimmerman »

As a long-time supporter and regular visitor here is how I see it.

Harry Rowland added me to the CWIF beta list for my 40th birthday in 2001.

We are far outside the parameters of rational software project management. We have a fixed (and enormous) scope that has overwhelmed the capacities of the software business model (which cannot support multiple programmers/an expensive team/rational modifications to scope/etc). But that is fine. We are in a different space, the one reserved for works of art. I have no doubt that Steve will finish the game or die trying, and that when released, it will be wonderful.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

My counts of hits (When thread + Monthly Report thread) shows a slight slackening off. It was highest during November - January last year: 8500 +- 1000. There were also a few months scattered over the past 5 years that were abnormally high (e.g., 16,354 in June of 2009), but those were probably because some topic generated a lot of responses in the When thread.

For the past 4 months the range is 6100 - 7800. I have more confidence in these statistics since February 1, 2012 when I began tracking the Monthly Report hits. You can calculate a simple monthly average for hits by dividing the number of months the thread has been around into the number of hits. For the Monthly Report thread that is roughly 35,000/39 =~ 900; but for each of the last 9 months it has been over 1000.

[Sorry - I'm a professional statistician.][:D]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
gridley

Post by gridley »

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

We are far outside the parameters of rational software project management. We have a fixed (and enormous) scope that has overwhelmed the capacities of the software business model (which cannot support multiple programmers/an expensive team/rational modifications to scope/etc).

I think 2 programmers were necessary for this project.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

So you are happy for personal attacks against Steve but not against this timewaster? Yeah, whatever.... [8|]

we all want answers. and there is clearly no answers in the WHEN thread.

I just wondering, where is all the rest of the wif players. why are they not here demanding a change in pace.

warspite1

Amen to that
we all want answers.

and
why are they not here demanding a change in pace.

We have the answers - the economic reality, the challenges of bringing a board game to the computer etc etc. What change of pace? Sure someone can demand a change of pace like some whiny 5-year old, but money talks and......(you know the rest). I recall the people on the forum demanding EiA came out yesterday. What happened? It was a total disaster imo. Released too early, tons of bugs and never properly fixed. What a waste of money...

After all the blood sweat and tears expended on this project, do you really want to see it go the same way?

I just wondering, where is all the rest of the wif players.

and

I asked that question a while back and if you recall, most of the old regulars responded. They are still here, but they are just not as active on the forum as they no doubt have better things to do pending the game coming out. They are not lost. They will return when the game is ready. Indeed most, if not all, of those saying they won't buy this game will do just that.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

Ah it's Warspite, and he's brought his curtains to peer out at me from behind!

Listen, we all know hits do not equal visitors. Perhaps we can use deductive reasoning to better estimate the number of visitors. I check in everyday at least once and in fact today I've logged three hits already. So let's say I'm responsible for 40 hits per month. Can you estimate how many hits you log? Steve, how many hits/month are you good for? Certainly a great deal, I imagine. Bo might log 1000+ hits by himself. But no, you're probably right... the tally of visitors must be in the thousands.
warspite1

Sad..sad...sad...

So all you do is barrack from the safety of your keyboard, bitch like a stuck pig, winge and moan like a girl about the game and the graphics, slag Steve and the beta testers off and tell anyone that listens (no one btw) that this game will never happen AND YET - you are responsible for 40 hits per month (btw it was 15-20 you said last month). Have you really got nothing better to do with your life? Do you not understand how sad that makes you? I really think you need to get a life.

But its ok for Cruss to trash anything and everything about this project? Right.

Like clockwork, the dude shows up every month after the report is put up with some "witty" response. It was old a long time ago. Like Warspite has mentioned, exactly why is Cruss posting again? Only one reason and that is trolling, so he deserves what he gets.

The project is what it is. Nothing anyone posts here is going to matter in terms of getting it done sooner or later.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Very True Klydon! Personally, my hopes are much higher seeing as there will not be an AI on the first release. Perhaps this Christmas?
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
ANTONIOr

Post by ANTONIOr »

hello everybody [:D]
registered time ago but followed the forums since 2009 [:D]
I played WiF few times but didn t find many opponents in my city (Rome!) ,so I started to face the possibility to play with vassal and ... with the pc game ...
I m confident that it s on the good way and I want to say that I m very impressed by the enormous work that [&o]Shannon [&o]and [&o]the beta testers[&o] are doing
not to mention the health issues of Shannon to whom I wish the best for his health and I say ,if needed,but I m sure that not,to keep up the good work [:)]
MWalker321

Post by MWalker321 »

Greetings. I have been lurking for several years myself, checking out the forum maybe 10 times a year or so. I just wanted to express my continued support for the game which I'm sure will be out at some point in the next couple of years. I think I can say with some confidence that my old WIF group consisting of myself and 3 others will purchase the game soon after it comes out. Keep up the fight!
Dangun

Post by Dangun »

I second and third the last two posters.

Having played WiF a lot at university in Australia, my friends - now scattered all over the planet, are looking forward to playing this version whenever it becomes available.

Hopefully this Christmas?
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Steven, you don't need to be creating more users to convince us that your threads are been read!!! [:D]

No, seriously, it's nice to see new "faces" around.
ANTONIOr

Post by ANTONIOr »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Steven, you don't need to be creating more users to convince us that your threads are been read!!! [:D]

eh eh Steve as a multi-account [:D]... he is too busy to embark on this task too[X(] , and simulating also the verbal clashes that sometimes arise on this forum [:@], a real challenge for him ...[:D] ,eh eh ,btw I think that the misunderstandings between forumers are for the stress for waiting ,and I hope just for that ...[:D]
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: ANTONIOr

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

eh eh Steve as a multi-account [:D]... he is too busy to embark on this task too[X(] , and simulating also the verbal clashes that sometimes arise on this forum [:@], a real challenge for him ...[:D] ,eh eh ,btw I think that the misunderstandings between forumers are for the stress for waiting ,and I hope just for that ...[:D]
I agree that the waiting is a major contributor to the irritability of forum members.
Steve

Dangun

Post by Dangun »

I have been fiddling with the search function for a while now, but it hasn't answered my question, although I am sure the answer is in this forum somewhere....

What is the intended scope of the game regarding the many expansions that came out for the physical WiF? Will they be included? And conversely, will you be compelled to use them? I am thinking here in terms of both geographic expansions e.g. Afrika in Flames, and counter expansion e.g. Planes in Flames.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Dangun

I have been fiddling with the search function for a while now, but it hasn't answered my question, although I am sure the answer is in this forum somewhere....

What is the intended scope of the game regarding the many expansions that came out for the physical WiF? Will they be included? And conversely, will you be compelled to use them? I am thinking here in terms of both geographic expansions e.g. Afrika in Flames, and counter expansion e.g. Planes in Flames.
Here is the text from the Players Manual (draft layout).

Attachments
PMOptionalRules.jpg
PMOptionalRules.jpg (367.62 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Steve

Dangun

Post by Dangun »

Thanks.
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

Hi Steve,

I hope your health is continuing to improve.

Something in your last monthly post got me wondering about a couple things related to future compatibility issues with MWiF. Please forgive me if this question is completely ignorant of how computer operating systems function these days. I'm a political scientist, rather than the computer kind (or a real scientist).

I currently run a Vista-based computer. I'm assuming MWiF started development under Windows XP. Microsoft has increased the development pace of their operating systems (presumably due to mobile and tablet competition more than servers or such.) If MWiF releases relatively soon (relative to its overall development time), Windows 9 will most likely be the new system shipping on computers at the time. I'm hoping my system (with two aging Geforce 295s) will last another year after Windows 9 comes out, meaning I'll probably be buying a new computer around the time Windows 10 comes out. Or maybe Windows 10.1 which will fix all the problems they had rushing Windows 10 out the door.

With the exception of the whole 32 to 64 bit thing I don't really understand, I'm presuming Microsoft is maintaining heavy backwards compatibility to run software designed to function on their earlier operating systems (well, not DoS anymore). I know you can't know for certain since you aren't in charge of Microsoft, but you know how operating systems and software work roughly 7 billion times better than I do.

So, in this context, the questions:

How likely will it be that software designed with Windows XP will run without game-ending bugs on Windows 10?

I'm assuming the graphics will be so basic that graphics hardware-based incompatibilities (meaning game freeze/crash rather than frame rate, obviously) won't be an issue, so my Geforce 8XX or whatever in this future computer won't cause any issues for me. Is this assumption correct?

Since Microsoft is driving their desktop OS to be the same as their tablet OS, will MWiF be able to be played using a touch-screen tablet automatically without you having to specifically make any changes to it? In other words, will it just "work" if I load the game on the Windows 10 tablet due to mouse-to-touch screen interface replacement within the OS? [MWiF running without crashes on a tablet could actually get me to buy a Windows tablet]

Thanks
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

Hi Steve,

I hope your health is continuing to improve.

Something in your last monthly post got me wondering about a couple things related to future compatibility issues with MWiF. Please forgive me if this question is completely ignorant of how computer operating systems function these days. I'm a political scientist, rather than the computer kind (or a real scientist).

I currently run a Vista-based computer. I'm assuming MWiF started development under Windows XP. Microsoft has increased the development pace of their operating systems (presumably due to mobile and tablet competition more than servers or such.) If MWiF releases relatively soon (relative to its overall development time), Windows 9 will most likely be the new system shipping on computers at the time. I'm hoping my system (with two aging Geforce 295s) will last another year after Windows 9 comes out, meaning I'll probably be buying a new computer around the time Windows 10 comes out. Or maybe Windows 10.1 which will fix all the problems they had rushing Windows 10 out the door.

With the exception of the whole 32 to 64 bit thing I don't really understand, I'm presuming Microsoft is maintaining heavy backwards compatibility to run software designed to function on their earlier operating systems (well, not DoS anymore). I know you can't know for certain since you aren't in charge of Microsoft, but you know how operating systems and software work roughly 7 billion times better than I do.

So, in this context, the questions:

How likely will it be that software designed with Windows XP will run without game-ending bugs on Windows 10?

I'm assuming the graphics will be so basic that graphics hardware-based incompatibilities (meaning game freeze/crash rather than frame rate, obviously) won't be an issue, so my Geforce 8XX or whatever in this future computer won't cause any issues for me. Is this assumption correct?

Since Microsoft is driving their desktop OS to be the same as their tablet OS, will MWiF be able to be played using a touch-screen tablet automatically without you having to specifically make any changes to it? In other words, will it just "work" if I load the game on the Windows 10 tablet due to mouse-to-touch screen interface replacement within the OS? [MWiF running without crashes on a tablet could actually get me to buy a Windows tablet]

Thanks
I doubt that Microsoft will abandon (there's a technical term which escapes my mind at the moment) Win XP because of all the applications that are based on it.

MWIF is running on Win XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8. I haven't been using Win XP for a couple of years, and I don't have a Win 8 computer. But the beta testers do and aside from some weirdness over the past month with NetPlay on a Win XP machine, there have been no issues. I've been working on the Win XP NetPlay problem the last couple of days.

MWIF doesn't use advanced graphics, such as employed in real time simulations. So the graphics card and its associated features are unimportant. That's where most of the recent changes in hardware have been occurring.

I'm also super-careful about not using "new and improved" software features. The old ways of doing things work just fine while the "feature of the month" might not be around a year from now. For example, I replaced all the Assembler code I inherited from CWIF because it might have differences between 32 bit versus 64 bit. Another place the Assembler code can become hardware specific is if the floating point processor changes.

But don't expect MWIF to run on a tablet. It requires at least a 1024 by 768 pixel screen. And the more screen real estate available the better the game is to play. Indeed, while debugging NetPlay I have been keeping the Sequence of Play form visible on both computers. That let's me track how the game advances through the sequence of play on both systems. In combination with the major power flags on the Main form, the SOP form tells the player who is doing what.

Unless I'm mistaken touch screen applications require special processing by the software application. MWIF uses the keyboard and mouse a lot, usually giving the player a choice of which he prefers to use to enter his decisions. The touchscreen would be just one more [separate?] input stream that would have to be processed.
Steve

wfzimmerman

Post by wfzimmerman »

Er ...

Windows XP end of lifecycle is April 2014.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... e&ie=UTF-8

I vividly remember a long delay caused by migration from one version of the Delphi ? software language to another.

Modern tablets have way more than 1024 x 768. I read a couple of days ago that the next gen Kindle Fire HD will be 2560 x 1800 (ish).

Return to “World in Flames”