Win XP, Win2000... Pacific War works!!! Read how!!!

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
88mmsurprize

RE: Game shuts down

Post by 88mmsurprize »

double post.
mark h

I have the "all numbers garbled" problem down

Post by mark h »

i too have the problem,
IBM lap top 512 mB RAM
MEM/C gives 598mB  (584mB) not sure what the one in (  )  is

I have the downloaded austoexec and config files in Win sys 32 as *.GAM
I have edited the Program tab/advanced to *.GAM
I have set compatability at Windows 98 and 95
I still have the problem

I have set 256 colours
I still have the problem

so, maybe it's beacuse *Gam is a cyber board file?
I changed the auotoexec and confog to *.pac and then changed the Prpgram/advanded tab to the same

nope!

tried tun off advanced test

nope!

I tried the compatability wizard, usless

mark h

RE: I have the "all numbers garbled" problem down

Post by mark h »

i used the DOS box and D FEND and it works a treat,

see links in WIR
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

Does anyone know the minimum system requirements for the updated PacWar? Same as the old one?

ETA: I just tried it on my ancient 386DX40, and it works like a charm. As a DOS machine, the 386 is also easy to tweak into running PW without the Out of Memory error.
Frank N

Post by Frank N »

There is a free DOS emulator DOSBox. I use it with WIN XP and have no problem playing PACWAR.

JonnyA

Post by JonnyA »

Frank N, or anyone else out there... I have tried running the game on DOSBox, but feel pretty stupid as I don't know which file to run to start the game - pac.pif gets an error message and there is no .exe, just the 'application' file. Can anyone help?
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

ORIGINAL: JonnyA

Frank N, or anyone else out there... I have tried running the game on DOSBox, but feel pretty stupid as I don't know which file to run to start the game - pac.pif gets an error message and there is no .exe, just the 'application' file. Can anyone help?

There needs to be a file named "pac.exe". If you don't have it, you don't have the game. If it's truly missing, try downloading again from the Matrix download site and then use WinZip or some other compress/decompress program to extract that file only.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
JonnyA

Post by JonnyA »

The game will run outside DOSBox - I think there is a pac.exe file but Windows Explorer just calls an 'application' file and doesn't show the file extension. I have the problem with corrupted text in PacWar, so I downloaded DOSBox and I can mount the correct drive, but if I type 'pac.exe' in DOSBox, it returns an error.

Sorry, I am not used to DOS - if I type 'pac.exe', it should run that file, shouldn't it? I am probably missing something stupid, but I don't know what.
MI2AZ

Post by MI2AZ »

I can't help you with anything else, but for Windows Explorer, to see the file extensions, click on Tools, Folder Options, View, then make sure Hide Extensions for Known File Types is not selected.

Grognard2008

Post by Grognard2008 »

Has anyone tried to get this working under Vista in compatability mode ? If so I'm interested in the details. I used to love this game as well as Carriers at War and get tired of all the glitzy new games that don't seem to have the historical depth that games like these did.

Anyone tried this program DOS Box and D Fend under Vista ?

Thanks,

Grognard
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Grognard2008

Has anyone tried to get this working under Vista in compatability mode ? If so I'm interested in the details. I used to love this game as well as Carriers at War and get tired of all the glitzy new games that don't seem to have the historical depth that games like these did.

Anyone tried this program DOS Box and D Fend under Vista ?

Thanks,

Grognard

Won't work directly under Vista, complains of the full screen problem. Does work in DOSBox 0.12. Two pionts to remember under DOS, files name limited to 8 characters and no spaces.

I installed both the DOSBOX and the game directly under the Root e.t. C:\dosbox and C:\pacwar. You might have to fiddle with the DOSBOX setting but the main setting I used are as follows:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

Feinbergpf

RE: Win XP, Win2000... Pacific War works!!! Read how!!!

Post by Feinbergpf »

I've downloaded both D-Fend Reloaded and DosBox and have the same problem. I have windows vista and I can't get full screen for the game, only a small rectangle. Any suggestions?

Phil
Phil Feinberg
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: Feinbergpf

I've downloaded both D-Fend Reloaded and DosBox and have the same problem. I have windows vista and I can't get full screen for the game, only a small rectangle. Any suggestions?

Phil

Hope I'm not too late to answer your question.
In DosBox, you press ALT+ENTER to get to full screen.
Mosby

Post by Mosby »

SOOOooooooo happy to say that the fix works for my xp lappy, and I'm now trying my hardest to figure out how to really play the game.

I suppose I've got a lot of reading to do.

How well does this compare to WitP? Can I use this as a demo of sorts to see if I want to lay down all that money for it?
Ogamiito

Post by Ogamiito »

Anyone know how to make this thing work with windows 7?[&:]
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: Mosby

SOOOooooooo happy to say that the fix works for my xp lappy, and I'm now trying my hardest to figure out how to really play the game.

I suppose I've got a lot of reading to do.

How well does this compare to WitP? Can I use this as a demo of sorts to see if I want to lay down all that money for it?

PacWar and WITP are very different in depth. Less details to worry about in PacWar but the scope, strategies and decisions are generally similar.
PacWar has no tactical options. You let your ground commanders, air commanders and admirals do the figting. In WITP you can set the ground combat stance, the air missions, etc. Supply and production is simplified but it works.

In short, if you end up liking PacWar there's no guarantee that you'll like WitP.
Anyone know how to make this thing work with windows 7?

Use Dosbox.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

PacWar and WITP are very different in depth. Less details to worry about in PacWar but the scope, strategies and decisions are generally similar.
PacWar has no tactical options.

Also be aware that PacWar has no mines, no Coast Defense guns, and troops are not transportable by air. (Not even from friendly base to friendly base.)

There are a very few tactical options. Surface TF's can be set to Surface Combat or Bombardment, depending on your worries about nearby warships. Land and Carrier air units can be given priority targets, such as ground troops, airfields, or enemy ships. And both Surface Combat and Air combat TF's can be set to a "reaction move", which is (hopefully) triggered when an enemy TF approaches within a distance set by the player.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Ranger-75

RE: No errors but numbers garbled

Post by Ranger-75 »

I simply cannot get PW to run on my XP equipped ThinkPads. Quite exasperating, especially since Capt Harlock mentioned that reaction moves seem to not work when using DOSbox.....

I can get 630KB at the command line verified by MEM /C largest single block. I can actually get this to 634,000 bytes, and the program runs with no low or out of memory errors, but the screen is still garbled on all numbers displays. The key is to get rid of DOSX, and the unneeded MSCDEX, using the custom AUTOEXEC.PW and CONFIG.PW. I actually changed the main ones to verify at a normal command prompt, and got over 634,000 bytes as the largest single block.

I read back and noticed Capt Harlock mention of inadequate EGA support, but I'm not sure that is the case, since I can get the even older SSI game Sword of Aragon. to run just fine, and that is an EGA game. I also got the ancient QQP game Conquered Kingdoms to run with sound, etc. But both of these did not have the conventional memory requirement of PacWar.

Capt - any further word on Reaction moves when using DOSbox? That's a big part of PacWar. DOSbox is my next alternative. Otherwise I'll have to continue to keep my old ThinkPad T22s around just for PacWar. Of course I don't have one out here in the desert.

I wonder if running it in a window will work, or maybe setting windows to 640x480 and then running it will help. I don't want to mess up the computer for everything else, so I'll hack at it a little bit more but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Regards, Mike.
Still playing PacWar (but no so much anymore)...
Rich Dionne

RE: No errors but numbers garbled

Post by Rich Dionne »

ORIGINAL: Ranger-75

I simply cannot get PW to run on my XP equipped ThinkPads. Quite exasperating, especially since Capt Harlock mentioned that reaction moves seem to not work when using DOSbox.....

I can get 630KB at the command line verified by MEM /C largest single block. I can actually get this to 634,000 bytes, and the program runs with no low or out of memory errors, but the screen is still garbled on all numbers displays. The key is to get rid of DOSX, and the unneeded MSCDEX, using the custom AUTOEXEC.PW and CONFIG.PW. I actually changed the main ones to verify at a normal command prompt, and got over 634,000 bytes as the largest single block.

I read back and noticed Capt Harlock mention of inadequate EGA support, but I'm not sure that is the case, since I can get the even older SSI game Sword of Aragon. to run just fine, and that is an EGA game. I also got the ancient QQP game Conquered Kingdoms to run with sound, etc. But both of these did not have the conventional memory requirement of PacWar.

Capt - any further word on Reaction moves when using DOSbox? That's a big part of PacWar. DOSbox is my next alternative. Otherwise I'll have to continue to keep my old ThinkPad T22s around just for PacWar. Of course I don't have one out here in the desert.

I wonder if running it in a window will work, or maybe setting windows to 640x480 and then running it will help. I don't want to mess up the computer for everything else, so I'll hack at it a little bit more but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Regards, Mike.

Ranger,

Not sure what the trouble is, but I have been able to get reaction moves using Dosbox. I'm using version 7.4. Here's an example (The reaction moves start at 1:15):

http://youtu.be/j2prVJQ0beQ

Regards,

Rich

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”