On Sale. Should I jump?

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Nimrod 9th

On Sale. Should I jump?

Post by Nimrod 9th »

For the next couple days this game is on sale. I've thought about buying it. Forum is dead. No new posts in almost 2 years. Not a good sign. Plus the last few posts weren't very encouraging. Another bad sign.

I play Forge of Freedom a lot. Got a good handle on it. Is this game's engine similiar? More complex? Less?

Guess I'm simply looking for some more up to date feedback on the game. I've never played an e-mail game. So I'll be playing against the AI.
RJinVA_slith

RE: On Sale. Should I jump?

Post by RJinVA_slith »

Hello Nimrod 9th,

If you liked Forge of Freedom, then by all means get Crown of Glory:EE, especially at this price. I have both, and I find Crown of Glory:EE to be a game I keep coming back to, despite its age. I think it's more developed than Forge of Freedom, though it appears to be based on the same engine mechanic. Plus, you will get hex-based naval battles, a very nice addition.

Crown of Glory:EE is very, very deep at the advanced levels and feels much deeper than Forge of Freedom. Developing a national strategy for resources will take you some time, by itself (I'm currently developing a strategy for Russia in 1796, and I can tell you it's work!) The manual is very good, as manuals go, with relatively few errors.

The interface shows its age, but has the redeeming characteristic of being entirely readable. The interface doesn't fall for the modern trend of tiny fonts on large screens, and you'll have no eyestrain problems (it has the same default resolution setting as Forge of Freedom). I still like the map. It was well done.

As you get into the details, you will probably be impressed by how historical the strategies begin to feel and play. Try to develop France as a naval power, for example, and you immediately pay a price in land warfare...something you might decide you can't afford, as happened in real life. Force levels are very credible for the scenarios as well. The developers paid attention to historical research by Nafzinger and others, and have adapted it quite well to their game structure. I believe it does history quite well, and that's one of the reasons I keep coming back to it.

If you play with detailed combat, at the brigade level, be prepared for Looooong battles, up to two hours a pop. (As in Forge of Freedom, you can instantly resolve these battles at any time, but you'll probably want to fight them out.) Since an average campaign will have 20-30 such battles, thats quite a lot of time, just for combat resolution.

I've played it for some time now, and I still don't feel like I'm an expert at it. But it has very good depth and staying power, and it's hard to ask for more than that from any game.

The game is pretty much as is; it has some minor flaws, I don't think the developers can afford any more investment in it, but there is always hope they will work on it. But I haven't found any show stoppers. It's fully playable.

Hope this helps!

RJinVA
Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

Yes, it helps. Thanks for taking the time to type out such a long detailed review. I'm still riding the fence. Your second paragraph has me nervous. I like mid-level complex games. Forge of Freedom's complex level suits me fine when I turn off advanced supply and advanced buildings (most of the other stuff is on).

I've got another day or two to decide so if anyone else would like to jump in and keep the conversation going, I'm sure I'm not the only one being helped.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

As to the forum being dead, that is so, but I am currently in TWO 7 player pbems, so there is some activity with this game still :)
You can (just as in FoF) meddle with details and complexity, but I find that the complex economy is not that hard to understand, and it brings a little extra to the table (especially in pbem). The tactical battles will be something you will find very similar to FoF, although there are some small  changes, but that is quickly learned. If you like FoF, and enjoy the Napoleonic era, AND want a game where you can chose from several nations to play, this is a very good buy imo.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
montesaurus

Post by montesaurus »

Hi Guys,

I concur with Terje! Plus, if you anyone is looking to play via email let me know. I'm always trying to get new blood for this great game!

Monte
montesaurus
French Player in Going Again II 1792
Edorf

Post by Edorf »

As the op I`m tempted to buy the game too. Not intending to play any PBEM.

Quoting this from another poster:

"AI players don't seem to recognize surrender terms (e.g., territories don't get ceded), you can't liberate territories by treaty, treaties and alliances conflict and don't work and you end up with great relations with a country you're in a total war with."

To me this looks like a bit more than just minor flaws. So it works as a PBEM game only I guess.
RJinVA_slith

Post by RJinVA_slith »

Hi Kermit 74,

I play exclusively against the AI (so far anyway), and haven't seen these issues, but I will keep my eye open for them. Perhaps my games simply didn't invoke them, so I'll defer to others who may have direct experience with them. (Maybe Gil from WestCiv can tell us more?)

The biggest bug I've found was in Historic Events (I've posted a bug report on it). There are a few others, but this game has so many features that I've found that even losing a few to bugs, like historical events, doesn't stop it (at least, not for me). For example, detailed combat (both land and sea combat) are entire games within themselves and you will be tempted to study how Napoleon deployed artillery in real life to see if it applies to the game. It has more diplomacy than most in the genre (even if the bug report is true, its diplomacy module is still a big improvement over other games focusing on the time period), it has a full economics/trade module (another game in itself) and military science development, and it's all integrated. You will feel the consequences of all your decisions in these various areas.

So I greatly enjoy the game, as is, even though I'm only marginally skilled in all the above modules.

But everyone is different, and what works for me may not work for someone else. In the end, the choice is yours. [;)]

Regards,

RJinVA

terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Kermit74

As the op I`m tempted to buy the game too. Not intending to play any PBEM.

Quoting this from another poster:

"1. AI players don't seem to recognize surrender terms (e.g., territories don't get ceded), 2. you can't liberate territories by treaty, treaties and 3. alliances conflict and don't work and you end up with great relations with a country you're in a total war with."

To me this looks like a bit more than just minor flaws. So it works as a PBEM game only I guess.

1. Never had issues with this vs the AI
2. Might be true, never tried. If I fight a war, it is to expand MY realm after all [:D]
3. I think that might be the "Your attitude towards nation XXX" screen. Granted, that does nothing for you, as those are just numbers, and it is you after all that run the nation. I will however claim that alliances does indeed work, been the target of several in my games.

I still play vs the AI, and I never reach my goal of an all blue Europe [:@]

Terje

sth1119

Post by sth1119 »

I guess I am a sucker for these sales. Last weeks wrestled with the thought of buying UV. Thankful the advise I got from the forum convinced me to hold off. Now crown of glory goes on sale. Another one of those games I've had my eye on.

I am glad to see the discussion, it shows there are still people playing this title out there. Let me us know if you jump in.
Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

It wasn't an easy decision but I'm going to jump. I took a look at the other Napoleonic larger scale games and nothing spoke to me. You may find my reasons stupid. That's fine. I'm not trying to influence your decision making process. Tried the Napoleon's Campaigns Demo. Don't like the Napoleon's Campaign figure head icons. Found it hard to understand what was in each stack or what was in a fort or not in a fort. I simply found myself situational unaware and confused. Commander - Napoleon at War, don't like icons where all you see is a number between 1 and 10 (I've not considered many a game because of this). Again, I find it hard to understand the situation. Read someplace that Empire in Arms is very complex and takes a long time to grasp. I understand Forge of Freedom and enjoy it and it seems this is similar but a little more complex. Should be easy for me to make the step up. No games are perfect when you play the AI. According to what I'm reading, the problems here are minor and easy to overlook. So, long story short, I'm jumping because it's half price.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

It's not a game that appeals to all and certainly has its share of haters (as does FoF) but here's another opinion: Crown of Glory:EE is superb and if you like deep and nuanced games, the Napoleonic period and tactical hex-war battles on land and sea then you may be pleasantly surprised by the game.

I paid full price back when it was new and with 20/20 hindsight, would do so again in a heartbeat and it still sees more use than several newer and shinier offerings purchased since.

Enjoy and good luck.

-C
sth1119

Post by sth1119 »

Nimrod9th, I see nothing wrong with your logic and preferences.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

It's not a game that appeals to all and certainly has its share of haters (as does FoF) but here's another opinion: Crown of Glory:EE is superb and if you like deep and nuanced games, the Napoleonic period and tactical hex-war battles on land and sea then you may be pleasantly surprised by the game.

I paid full price back when it was new and with 20/20 hindsight, would do so again in a heartbeat and it still sees more use than several newer and shinier offerings purchased since.

Enjoy and good luck.

-C

Agreed!

Terje

Floyd

Post by Floyd »

These links might be helpful for new players:

advanced economic guide: [&o]
tm.asp?m=2169151
Rename files from '.txt. to '.zip' after download.

some guides from the first COG:
tm.asp?m=891362
tm.asp?m=890493

Please remember to set the timespan for shown postings at
the top right of the (sub-)forum. I think 365 days is the default
and that setting might be too short to see all relevant postings.

Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

It's a fantastic game, I doubt you will regret buying. I also play the AI and have NEVER had ANY of the issues mentioned earlier.
A Sharif
drakk0r

Post by drakk0r »

I went ahead and jumped on this as well. I've been eyeing it for almost a year now, but the price and fixed low resolution turned me off. With the sale, the fixed resolution and lack of windowed mode is still a downer, but it seems pretty good so far.
sth1119

Post by sth1119 »

Evil- how are you liking the game? I did not jump in but i continue to be interested. Is this implimentation of the game engine an improvement on FoF?
Just wondering.

ORIGINAL: Evil Koala

I went ahead and jumped on this as well. I've been eyeing it for almost a year now, but the price and fixed low resolution turned me off. With the sale, the fixed resolution and lack of windowed mode is still a downer, but it seems pretty good so far.
drakk0r

Post by drakk0r »

I never played FoF so I can't comment on that. I'm enjoying the game though. It's fairly rough around the edges, but the gameplay is solid after learning how things work.

ORIGINAL: sth0009

Evil- how are you liking the game? I did not jump in but i continue to be interested. Is this implimentation of the game engine an improvement on FoF?
Just wondering.

ORIGINAL: Evil Koala

Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Thanks for the links.

The first set works, but the Raleigh guides are all dead links. :/

If anyone has them saved somewhere, please let me know if you can upload them to a new source

Thanks!
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I would like those too if possible.

It's a pity even the developers don't stop by occasionally.

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”