Entrench card question

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

elmo3

Entrench card question

Post by elmo3 »

I'm not understanding the entrench card. Played it on an infantry division and it said they gained 37 points of entrenchment but the entrench value did not change. The value was 100 before and after, and I know units can go to at least 150. Is it bugged or am I missing something? Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Bonners

RE: Entrench card question

Post by Bonners »

The entrenchment value won't rise above the maximum entrenchment value for that type of unit in that hex. So if the units are already at maximum entrenchment then it won't have any affect.

Where it is useful is when you are moving units directly into the frontline where you think the enemy is going to attack - it will help your units get up to full entrenchment before the enemy attack, especially useful if the enemy is using aircraft and artillery to reduce entrenchment.

The other instance it is really useful is when you attack enemy forces and then want to dig back in before an expected attack.

I only use it on infantry as depending on the type of mmotorized unit their maximum entrenchment is normally quite low, down to zero if the unit is only tanks.
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Clear terrain doesn't go above 80 or 100 depending on weather by the way.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK thanks. Is the max. entrench value for terrain listed anywhere? I did not see it in the manual but may have missed it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

OK thanks. Is the max. entrench value for terrain listed anywhere? I did not see it in the manual but may have missed it.
Tbh I'm not sure. Full values for infantry are roughly as follows:

Clear 80/100
Urban 200
Light urban 150
Low mountains 150
Fortifications 200
Fortifications on light urban 250(iirc)
They're the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK thanks. Wish the values were spelled out in the manual, or when mousing over terrain, so we did not waste playing cards on units that can't entrench further.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Isokron

Post by Isokron »

Fortification is base value +100 for all terrain types I think, and Im not sure I have ever seen the max for clear being 80, perhaps you looked after one turn when it hadn't yet reached the maximum value ?
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

ORIGINAL: Isokron

Fortification is base value +100 for all terrain types I think, and Im not sure I have ever seen the max for clear being 80, perhaps you looked after one turn when it hadn't yet reached the maximum value ?
I've been playing mud and snow turns for so long I couldn't quite remember. Thought the entrenchment value was lower in clear turns guess I remembered wrong.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

do the values show in the info at the top, you have the center " this is this hex" in the middle and if you mouse over it it shows lots of interesting details on he hex, Im just not sure if the MAX value is listed???
"Tanks forward"
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK, my bad. If you look at page 50 in the E-book version of the manual you will see the max entrench values for each hex type.

WitE alpha/beta tester
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Also in game in. The upper tooltip over the picture at top of screen, shows max
"Tanks forward"

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”