micromanaging direct fire support weapons

Share your best strategy tips with other gamers here.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

davidx

micromanaging direct fire support weapons

Post by davidx »

hello,

when micromanaging direct fire support weapons, LOS and range seem critical.

The LOS is very sensitive to position, so in general how is unit LOS generally determine?. Is it by unit foot print or way-point position clicked or something else?

For range, between 0 and ambush range is hopefully pretty understood, but what causes the unit to more likely shoot between ambush and effective range, similar what causes a unit to more likely shoot between effective range and maximum range?
davidx
dazkaz15

RE: micromanaging direct fire support weapons

Post by dazkaz15 »

I would like to know more about this as well.

From my game experience I would say that LOS is calculated from the nearest invisible 100m grid square that the unit footprint occupies, but only that section of the footprint can fire calculated as a % of the total firepower in the unit.
You can see this happen when the large units are moving in road column formation, which at present is not modelled very well in the game, due to the tech that was available when the base game was developed I expect, that does not allow for footprints that flow with the roads and around terrain, but instead stays in a rigid line.
when a large formation that is in one of these rigid lines turns a sharp bend the tail of the footprint extends far enough to pick up LOS of a previously hidden enemy quite some distance away.
So LOS is obviously tied to the footprint in some way.
Next time I see this happen I will post a screenshot here.
davidx

Post by davidx »

Hello,

Alternatively,

On open flat terrain, assuming each can damage the other, I need to get the enemy unit inside this range of my unit while staying outside this range of the enemy unit. What is this range and how may I estimate it with respect to command ops. I cannot find this information directly in the manual or indirectly otherwise.

thanks
davidx
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: davidx

Hello,

Alternatively,

On open flat terrain, assuming each can damage the other, I need to get the enemy unit inside this range of my unit while staying outside this range of the enemy unit. What is this range and how may I estimate it with respect to command ops. I cannot find this information directly in the manual or indirectly otherwise.

thanks

Get familiar with the effective weapon range display (sixth button heading right for the map overlay selections). It breaks ranges for a unit's weapons into bombardment (minimum [black] and maximum [blue]), anti-tank [red], and anti personnel [green] ranges. It shows friendly unit capabilities and expected enemy unit capabilities.

Keep in mind that all ranges are not created equal. The damage calculation not only takes into account differences in equipment ranges, but also rate of fire / ammunition use, the quantity of the specific weapons capable of firing at the ranges (indirect fire minimum [black] and maximum [blue], anti-tank maximum [red], and anti-personnel maximum [green]), and reduced effective "hit" potential the greater the distance from firing unit to target within the maximum range (for both anti-tank and anti-personnel).
Take care,

jim
davidx

Post by davidx »

Hello,

what I am asking for is different from weapon effectiveness, but it is affected by weapon effectiveness. I am asking for when they shoot. The answer may be expressed as a function of weapon effectiveness range, for example at max aggressiveness they shoot at 100% max range (command-ops terminology based). Likewise at normal aggressiveness, they shoot at 100% effective range (command-ops terminology) and so forth.

In fact, that was the assumption i work with, since the manual is vague, but observation over several years of play suggests this is not a particular valid assumption. I would this consider this fundamental information.

regards,
davidx

Return to “The War Room”