ship designs do not load in shadows

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jt77

ship designs do not load in shadows

Post by jt77 »

In legends, I was able to load my ship designs. Since upgrading to shadows, this feature does not work. I encourage the developers to try it and verify what I am saying. I have attempted this on two different PCs. Start a new game of shadows and create your own ship designs. Save the designs and exit back to main menu. Start a new game of shadows and try to load your designs that you previously created from within shadows. It won't work. This is very frustrating and is ruining my enjoyment of an otherwise great game because I have to spend about an hour at the beginning of every new game re-created the ship designs and names that I want. Please fix this in the next update.
Darkspire

RE: ship designs do not load in shadows

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: jt77

In legends, I was able to load my ship designs. Since upgrading to shadows, this feature does not work. I encourage the developers to try it and verify what I am saying. I have attempted this on two different PCs. Start a new game of shadows and create your own ship designs. Save the designs and exit back to main menu. Start a new game of shadows and try to load your designs that you previously created from within shadows. It won't work. This is very frustrating and is ruining my enjoyment of an otherwise great game because I have to spend about an hour at the beginning of every new game re-created the ship designs and names that I want. Please fix this in the next update.

You can not get designs to load from the theme folder anymore but they do load from a game. I have been loading and saving them for months, I made a default set of prewarp designs in Shadows, saved them and when I start a new game load them, state ships(7), state bases(8) and private bases(2). Could you be more specific as regards the problem you are having?

Darkspire
Fenrisfil

RE: ship designs do not load in shadows

Post by Fenrisfil »

Actually designs will load from the theme folder fine providing there is a viable custom design at the start of the game (for each ship type for which you wish to use custom designs). What that means is that if your starting in pre-warp you have to have enough designs to cover that ship type at all tech levels all the way down to tech level zero. Yes that means making tiny tech level zero capital ships and stuff. Secondly if you don't make sure that the auto-design is off for those ship types, all the loaded designs will randomly disappear when the AI decides to upgrade (as it now tries to auto-upgrade custom designs).

However, if you do create the extra designs and make sure the AI isn't going to try and auto-design those ships it all works fine. It also seems to work fine for AI races, though I've noticed they can be slow in upgrading to new designs when one is available. You don't have to worry too much about how much sense the tiny capital ships make as I'm yet to see the AI try and use tech level 0 caps yet. I've currently been testing this in a game with 7 races with custom designs on nearly all military ships so can verify the designs load in practice.

Loading them in game should work as well and I did this a fair bit too when figuring out the above so I don't know why it wouldn't work.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.

Return to “Tech Support”