Share Your TACTIC !!!

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
deVada

Share Your TACTIC !!!

Post by deVada »

[PHP]Don't be shy ![/PHP]

Share Your favourite and most successful strategies to win a war.
Describe Your greatest battles.
Maybe it would revolutionize the PacWargaming and bring more fun to our PBEM games.
At least it would give us all some new reference points.

Attached file contains photo taken by a Japanese soldier from Imperial Guard Division while marching through Juneau ...

Remember - those guys spent the first period of war on Java watching beautiful girls eating coco nuts ...
:p
the more You play - the less You understand ... :p
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

My favorite tactic, whether Allies or Japanese, is good old-fashioned naval bombardment. It racks up victory points, small amounts of victory points, true, but at essentially no cost.

There is a disadvantage: if there is enemy LBA in the area you can lose some major ships. This is not much of a problem for the Japanese until later in the game, because the Allied bombers don't have the experience or range to do anything serious. However, when playing the Allies, I look for relatively isolated bases. Using the faster battleships (25 knots or better) and lots of cruisers, you can usually start pounding the base before it can launch an air strike. The planes on the base itself will be largely immobilized, and if you've chosen well, the other bases will be too far away to help.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
chrisman1

Post by chrisman1 »

I started with the Guadalcanal Campaign and managed to get Japanese surrender in August '43. I accomplished this by focusing all assets (naval, air, men) in this area. Thrusting up the Solomons, captured Truk, Saipan and Wake very easily. By attacking so early in campaign defense must not have been firmly established. Started B-29 bombing raids on Japan and kept CV task forces around Saipan. CV Task forces chewed up Japanese shipping.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Using those empty islands/atolls to train my carrier pilots by hammering them with air attacks.

Using B-29s from Aleutian islands to pound Northern Japan.

Cheers,

M.S.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

As japanese choose a very small island or atoll held by the allied (for sure with no resources or oil) to train land based fighters and bombers + some carrier aircraft(CVL + new CV) to gain experience by constantly bombarding the base.
Should be in range of some of your bases but out of range of allied planes

Hide/Do not use the CS converting to CVL later in the game ( Chiyoda and the two others)

Use bases in south china to train bomber crews by constantly attacking china to gain experience - good for B5/B6/B7 and D3/D4 naval bombers to use them with higher experience as sub patrols in the Phillipines/Formosa/South China region
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
deVada

Post by deVada »

Hi Folks. Good advices.
Here are some other :

As Japanese leader :

Always - I am always sending second raid to Oahu in 14.12.1941. AI is never removing damaged BB's from the port, the same do many (I suppose) human players.

I usually take first Oahu, or when it is too complicated I am dominating the south pacific, then with first occasion my divisions swim to northern pole and offensive against alaska is conducted.
Philipines, Java and eventually India can be taken without much forces.

As an Allied leader :

Always - removing the BB's from Pearl in the beginning, and direct all ships settled around the map to Calcutta and i.e. Cooktown, then I am using to rest and relax, keeping all ships far away from the theatre, strenghtening only Fiji, Palmyra, Oahu, Attu, Dutch and Juneau, eventually Ceylon.
In late 42 or in the beginning of 43 I am usually starting to push via Marianas or Paramushiro.
If enemy takes all the rest, he'll have helluva problems supplying all those bases ...

Remember also that AI never puts any seriosus LBU in Tokyo until 44 so sometimes a quick attack would destroy factories forever and the war is won ...

A nice strategy for Japs is also to send small Transport TFs with single SBF embarked to capture south pacific atolls, most of them are undefended ...

Have a nice sinking !
Capt. Harlock

To Japanese Would-Be Conquerors

Post by Capt. Harlock »

In version 3.1, India has been made much more difficult to overrun--in fact, against a competent human player, I would say impossible. There are lots more bases, more troops to defend them, and even a new HQ. Also, the aircraft factories have been moved from Calcutta to a nearly inaccessible base ("To Middle East"), so that capturing Calcutta doesn't give you the advantage it used to.

When playing 3.1, I recommend securing Ceylon, which will prevent some of the British reinforcements from arriving. You will still want to take Rangoon, but advancing much beyond there isn't worth losing too many troops, because the closure of the Burma Road no longer matters. Instead, seize a coastal base fairly close to Calcutta, like Dacca or the new base of Aykab. From there, your land-based air can inflict lots of losses on the merchant shipping based at Calcutta. This tactic works much better in Ver. 3.1, because Calcutta no longer has the factories which used to divert the attention of the LBA.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Japan :
Group divisions when attacking Malaysia and Phil.
Take as much as possible islands, garrison them.
I take Midway, Johnston, Christmas/and or Canton.
Shy about PH.

Ceylon.
i don't go in AUstralai nomore except for raids. Australia has too many troops.

Us : i used to blow my way in 1941 through Wake, Marcus, Bonin but in 3.1 lack of transport made of Wake and Maloelap 2 Verduns.
Marcus due to a bug is no more a port...

my biggest problem is what to do with the troops i evacuate from Malaysia and Phil : hold Indonesia ?
Ben

Verzage ni
Klondike

Post by Klondike »

As a Japanese Commander I leave Panay in the Phillipines alone and base fighters and bombers on the airbases surrounding it...That way I get combat missions every turn and my planes get good exp.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Originally posted by Klondike
As a Japanese Commander I leave Panay in the Phillipines alone and base fighters and bombers on the airbases surrounding it...That way I get combat missions every turn and my planes get good exp.

TIP :
Use old planes to boost experinence to 70 and then change to newer planes and train again
Good to use old A5M or Ki27 to avoid too much losses of newer and better planes (A6M2 or Ki43) while in training
Especially good for new planes groups with low experience
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Evacuate the PI. Get the 4th Marine rgt, the Phillippine Infantry Division and anything else you can gab out of there. Endeavor to do the same for the 8th Aus in Malaya.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Originally posted by mdiehl
Evacuate the PI. Get the 4th Marine rgt, the Phillippine Infantry Division and anything else you can gab out of there. Endeavor to do the same for the 8th Aus in Malaya.

Getting troops out of malaya is no prob.
Jsut what to with them is a pro b : reinforce Indonesia but you'll have to evacuate against Human, agaisnt IA you may hold.
As for the PI, i can manage to get Phil div out, but not much else...
Ben

Verzage ni
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Finding a use for the evacuated troops is no problem. They can really shut down any drive on New Guinea or Australia, because the Japanese player will have a very difficult time to isolate them from supply.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
deVada

Capturing Oahu possible

Post by deVada »

I've proceeded with IJN Campaign from '41 to '44 against AI Allied.
In may 42 I've captured Pearl and Maui.
It is not very complicated.
Just take Midway (no big problem), then Kauai, upgrade the airfield there, keep Pearl shelled by JN BB's and pounded by CV's aircraft that it would became isolated and then, after getting some better divisions take the Pearl.
Then Palmyra and Southern Pacific and Nassau ...
ALL enemy bases in Australia, South Pacific, Java, Philipines, Solomons were completelly and constantly isolated.

It is good to leave Johnston Island in AI's hands. In my case he kept trying to send ships there, which contributed themselves to "great artificial reef". My betties sunk hundreds of AKA's, AO's, DD's and other surface combatants, and my Battleships were always welcome to bombard 7 full size allied divisions. My fast surface combat TFs reacted for many times sinking also other ships.

In 1944 the result was :
1 CVL, 1 BB, 13 DD, some AKA sunk on Japan side, for6 BB, 9 CV, and hundreds of other ships lost on the allied side.
In late 43 excessive looses forced the Allies to negotiation table.

Java, Philipines and other minorly defended areas fell anyway.
Try this strategy. If the actions were organized well that tactic should work even against an human player.

Enjoy the PacWar
:cool:
Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Hi deVada,

Kauai and Maui are most likely easy to take against the AI because it probably doesn't bother to reinforce them with LCUs. Johnston Island is an example of the often-foolish nature of the AI - in that it sets its mind on defending a base, no matter how many losses it incurs.

In all my games against the Jap AI, it has never focused on the Hawaiian Islands (apart from 1st turn). My PBEM game against Henhute6 has really brought this region to light. I managed to repulse a determined landing at PH in Feb '42 by approx. 6-7 Jap divisions, and this was with no carrier and little surface backup. Speaking of foolish, I managed to loose 3 CVs the second turn, Henhute6 can provide the gory details...;)
Now in March '42 Henhute6 has just experienced some minor problems in taking Java, due to the presence of allied air groups and the fact that the majority of his CVs and BB TFs are harassing Pearl Harbour. :D

deVada, I highly recommend trying a PBEM game, it will really open the game up. :p
deVada

PBEM

Post by deVada »

deVada, I highly recommend trying a PBEM game, it will really open the game up.

Yes I know. AI is stupid. Kicking a lying idiot brings not much fun.
but :
I am currently waging a war against my friend from Australia. It is now 08-1943 and as allied player I admire him for taking Australia (sic!), India and all the rest except Pacific Bases. I've tried to oppose sometimes but You know that good and cautious human player wearing Yamamoto's shoes is unbeatable in 42.

Right now we're just after the Yamamoto's greatest obsession - the decisive battle. Our complete navies clashed around Saipan twice (the nicest was the 12BB vs 12BB surface action), leaving JN 3 BB's (incl. BBH Yamato) on the bottom, and USS Washington also, and over 10 CVs and CVLs on both sides almost crippled plus many smaller ships. Unfortunately my LCU soldiers refused to attack this island so the landing failed but right now I've attacked Truk (from Eniwetok I.) and I am wondering what would be the result.

I have an strategical initiative from X.42 (after the battles of Paramushiro japs stopped to attack anything else), and I still have +10 BBs in line and 5 CVs + few CVLs&CVEs which are now in Truk waters.
Until Kamikaze and Okha attacks would be possible I am pushing.

I've tried to take Tokyo by Paramushiro but in late 42 I was too weak to wipe the whole Japanese Navy which arrived quite soon to the northern theatre. Now, all the bases north of Alaska and Tokyo are at maximum sizes so althrough I have more of 2000 points in LCUs around, the attack there must wait until my CVEs would be able to protect my ships.
I do not fear any Japanese actions in north, central and southern pacific - my bases are well defended and the JN needs at least 3 months to "make some minor paintworking" as my opponent says.
Changing the camouflage colours or something.
;)
I got a free hand and many ships in route from shipyards.
(and some in a way to shipyards too!)

If You'll find some time to share Your story about Your campaign I'll be glad to read it. A new data is always welcome.
Have a nice ... eee ... evening !
Hate the time zones ...
:mad:

Enjoy !
Peter
henhute6

Post by henhute6 »

Aussie, you propably want to forget our little carrier battle, but for some reason I'm very eager to tell about it. I guess, my girl friend also doesn't want to hear that tale anymore. :D

Well it's january 1942 and Aussie has decided that his carrier pilots need some training. So he picks a lightly defended target like Kwajalien island as a target.
At the same time I'm concentrating power for operation Midway and concentration area happens to be Kwajalien.
So I'm pretty surprised as Admiral Fitch charges in with 3 carriers. Reisens and Chukous make a strike, no damage. Fitch begins to get recon reports which show horribly strong Japanese carrier and surface forces. Fitch launches attack! 99 american planes (wildcats, buffalos, dauntlesses, devastators) are shot down at a cost of 3 Zeros. Japanese 6-pack launches counter strike. Over 300 planes swarm over Admiral Fitchs unlucky fleet and Enterprise, Saratoga and Lexington are sunk by torbedo hits.
Week after that incident submarine picks off Yorktown.

Without opposing carriers I was encouraged to try occupation of Pearl Harbour. I had only 4 divisions and 2 brigades, because Pearl Harbour was not part of my original strategy. With 3 more divisions from Philippines results would have been different. Still PH was worth trying, 4 US battleships were sunk in surface battles.

Java can really put up a good fight with 3 size 4 airfields full of planes. Even Betty bombers can shoot down those Blenheim IFs, but I lost Shoho to a Hudson bomber last turn. Two landings have been repelled so far, but when I get troops ashore Java will fall. That's only matter of time (I hope).

Cheers
Henry

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”