Mercantile Guild Rivalries

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

laughinglab_MatrixForum

Mercantile Guild Rivalries

Post by laughinglab_MatrixForum »

Being one of my favorite government types, I thought I would share some thoughts on Mercantile Guilds. I feel they should have a relations malus with each other to reflect that they are in essence competing for the galaxy's trade and resources.

I've been playing a lot of Crusader Kings 2 lately and the conflict between Merchant Republics got me thinking about similar mechanics for Distant Worlds.

One more thing, was troop recruitment speed for MC's reduced? According to the empire policy screen it is, but when starting a new game, it's not. I have read the modding guide, but haven't figured out how to mod the governments.

I appreciate your consideration. I am a longtime lurker of these boards and this is the 4X space game I keep coming back to. Shadows made it even better.
MarQan

RE: Mercantile Guild Rivalries

Post by MarQan »

If two Mercantile Guilds are close enough to hurt eachother's business (IF they do at all), they make a much bigger profit on eachother, than with any other empire.

I could imagine massive amounts of money going towards pirates to cut in the other Mercantile Guild's private sector. But an all-out war, or even a diplomatic relation change... I don't think so. At least not with the current mechanics.
iz aculi gubi
Fenrisfil

RE: Mercantile Guild Rivalries

Post by Fenrisfil »

I would suggest making sure both races have a high priority for controlling rare resources, use pirate attack missions whenever a good target presents itself and has win conditions that force direct competition (control the most resources, etc). That way it could push those races into a more interesting rivalry. You could also try and encourage sabotage missions by limiting many of the other types in the empires policies.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”