OT: Building a better Mouse Idea.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DHRedge

OT: Building a better Mouse Idea.

Post by DHRedge »

Since I am getting a new laptop, I was looking at some of the gaming mice.

It always makes me wonder why people don't think about the actual issues when using something like an input device.

A mouse has a requirement of thumb and right side of hand to 'move the mouse' because those two objects pinch the mouse in a holding situation to have control.

Yet all the companies add thumb buttons, and that removes the left side restraint to hold the mouse, when thumb moves to push a button.

How to make a mouse, assuming a person uses a mouse all the time in some game.

The Mouse Glove.

Add a strap or two that holds the mouse to the hand, then thumb and ring finger actions would not hinder control of mouse movement. Currently when you push a button with thumb or ring finger, you are pushing the mouse also, and have to adjust grip slightly to compensate.

The best mouse system would be one where the hand movement is the mouse movement, and none of the fingers are used to keep the mouse attached to the hand. A simple strap or two, or a fingerless glove comming off the top of the mouse, would add control, and free up more usage of fingers without that usage having to also hold the mouse.

If someone decides to manufacture this idea, send the profits to.

Bob Eastwood

[:)]

It would also add for some hilarity when you reach for your Mountain Dew with your gloved mouse hand.
"Best laid plans" and all that.

JuanG

RE: OT: Building a better Mouse Idea.

Post by JuanG »

Personally I can't help but think a strap of some kind would be more of a hinderance than help. I routinely take my hand off my mouse both while gaming and just in regular office use (either to use both hands to type, or to use other peripherals).

For gaming use I have a Logitech G700, which does have a quad of thumb buttons, but they are placed 'above' the thumbrest so to speak, which means moving it around is not a problem.

They're also stiff enough that you can rest your thumb on the buttons and still move the mouse with no issues; granted, I think most of the motion comes from the palm/heel and not the fingers, as I can happily scroll most mice with all the fingers floating away from the mouse.
DHRedge

RE: OT: Building a better Mouse Idea.

Post by DHRedge »

ORIGINAL: JuanG

Personally I can't help but think a strap of some kind would be more of a hinderance than help. I routinely take my hand off my mouse both while gaming and just in regular office use (either to use both hands to type, or to use other peripherals).

For gaming use I have a Logitech G700, which does have a quad of thumb buttons, but they are placed 'above' the thumbrest so to speak, which means moving it around is not a problem.

They're also stiff enough that you can rest your thumb on the buttons and still move the mouse with no issues; granted, I think most of the motion comes from the palm/heel and not the fingers, as I can happily scroll most mice with all the fingers floating away from the mouse.

Maybe so, I do remember an MIT hand controller that was hand held, full keyboard in 5 or 6 keys, and Wii uses a hand held with a strap, so it is not a new idea.

They also in expensive units have 'added grams of weight' that can be added, most likely to have more 'feel' with the movement.

So maybe it would work, I know thumb buttons for me never worked because it would move the targeting in 3d games.

Although for a 'work mouse' yea that would be different.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”