changing planet and moon names

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

elanaagain

changing planet and moon names

Post by elanaagain »

I've just started digging into modding DW-shadows. Any suggestions from you experienced modders on how I might go about modding the names of planets and moons in Shadows. Mostly I am very frustrated with the expansion planner scattering the moons from the planet/system in which they exist. When sorting by name, I want the moons to show 'with'the system they are in. advice appreciated,
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
Osito

RE: changing planet and moon names

Post by Osito »

If I understand you correctly, the simplest way to do this would be to make sure the planets have the generic star system names, like:

Algol 1
Algol 2
Algol 3
Algol 4

etc., then name the moons in line with the same type of notation. For example, if Algol 3 had two moons, you would call them:

Algol 3 Moon 1
Algol 3 Moon 2

etc.

It's inelegant, but it will work.

Of course, if I've misunderstood what you mean, then this will be no help at all :-)

I should also add that as far as I'm aware, the only way to mod the non-standard planet and moon names (i.e. the ones that aren't just Starname 1, Starname 2, etc.) is to do it via the game editor after you have started a game. If there's a way to mod them outside the game editor, then I'd be interested to learn what it is.

Osito
Osito
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

Thanks Ostco, I did understand the nomenclature necessary to implement this re-naming. The request is in the wish thread. What i am asking is HOW do I go about adding this info to the game? The stars txt file names stars, not planets and moons. How do I access the name of planets/moons in the DW game without using the game editor, (which would only work for that game, and reveal the systems to me?)? I cannot fined them in any folder, etc., Sorry I wasn't clearer in my question. Anyone?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: elanaagain

Thanks Ostco, I did understand the nomenclature necessary to implement this re-naming. The request is in the wish thread. What i am asking is HOW do I go about adding this info to the game? The stars txt file names stars, not planets and moons. How do I access the name of planets/moons in the DW game without using the game editor, (which would only work for that game, and reveal the systems to me?)? I cannot fined them in any folder, etc., Sorry I wasn't clearer in my question. Anyone?

Ok, as far as I know that's not possible. I did go as far as searching the game folders to see whether I could find any of the pre-assigned moon and planet names, and, like you, I couldn't find them, so I don't believe they're in straight text files. Anything else is beyond my limited computing skills.
Osito
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

Thx for confirming that i did not miss a file somewhere. I hope the company makes that list accessible in the future.
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

ORIGINAL: OsitoOk, as far as I know that's not possible. I did go as far as searching the game folders to see whether I could find any of the pre-assigned moon and planet names, and, like you, I couldn't find them, so I don't believe they're in straight text files. Anything else is beyond my limited computing skills.

The designers' logic never ceases to amaze me.
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
zonks

Post by zonks »

Something I have discovered after naming each planet I colonize is that the game records the names you use, and uses them when generating a new galaxy, basically building up a database.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

Nice to know

Return to “Design and Modding”