Percentage of Axis killed vs total casualties

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Commanderski

Percentage of Axis killed vs total casualties

Post by Commanderski »

I am playing the GC with normal settings for the Axis (everything at 100%) and 110% across the board for the Soviets. With my first try at that, I played through December 41 (turn 25) just to see the difference it makes. The Soviets put up quite a fight and will start making some decent counter attacks as early as turn 4 but my casualties were excessive. I thought that it may be due to trying to do too many hasty attacks on this setting. As of turn 25 I had 787,291 Axis losses with 305,821 KIA and the Soviets have only 302,161 KIA out of 1,873,422 losses.

So I started a new game with the same settings and am being more careful and deliberate in my attacks. I am just a few moves into turn 1 on my new game with the same settings and out of 957 Axis casualties 904 are KIA.

What's causing such a high KIA rate?
Gabriel B.

RE: Percentage of Axis killed vs total casualties

Post by Gabriel B. »

I am certainly not an expert on game mechanics, but the overal casualties by december in your game were below historical levels .

the german army, had by 10th december :

Wounded : 18,200 officers and 561,575 Nco + enlisted .
Killed : 6,827 officers and 155,972 Nco + enlisted .
Missing : 562 officers and 31,922 Nco + enlisted .

The siege of Odessa alone cost the romanians 92,545 (17,729 dead, 63,345 wounded and 11,471 missing).

The axis losses in my wiew are your last concern , you should be worrying about inflicting 4 milions losses on the soviets before the blizzard.

Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Historical loses were 5 to 1, if you throw out 1941 and 1945.

42-44 the lose ratio was static 5 to 1
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

FYI, not all casualties are counted in the total losses count you see in the game. Many men that would be counted as a casualty in real life are handled in the game by having a ground element get damaged and then repaired without any loss at all being recorded. Also, since some of the "disabled" are being returned to duty each turn, that total number is always lower than the actual number of men that were ever counted as disabled.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”