Training IJN pilots

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sieppo

Training IJN pilots

Post by Sieppo »

I have about 250 obsolete Nates training pilots and seem to be succeeding well.. Just that I noticed that they train only army pilots, not navy. Can I somehow train also navy pilots with them? Can they be transferred to navy somehow? Or do I need to construct my IJN training academy from scratch with some navy plane?
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Terminus

RE: Training IJN pilots

Post by Terminus »

IJA planes can't transfer to IJN squadrons or vice versa. No way, no how.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Ok I'll have to use Claudes for the same thing..
> A diamond?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

BTW are the most experienced pilots always used first in action?
> A diamond?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

No.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Ok thanks. Is it random?
> A diamond?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

No. I'm not totally up on the rules, but there's got to be dice rolls against one or more of the many stats that pilots have. The only thing you can be sure of is that the best guys don't always go first, and it's not random.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Ok but probably it is not good to have fighting groups filled up with a couple of aces and 30 recruits in hopes of training them on the side - they might be doing ALL the fighting :D..
> A diamond?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

That's the route the Japs went IRL. Didn't work well for them, and you can be assured it won't work well here either.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

I guess they were forced to do it at some point..
> A diamond?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Yes, but that's because they had no proper aircrew replacement training program in place before the war.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Ok but probably it is not good to have fighting groups filled up with a couple of aces and 30 recruits in hopes of training them on the side - they might be doing ALL the fighting :D..
Train 'em before they get into combat or they'll be butchered, just like IRL. An effective replacement program can train up a unit of fighter jocks in 2-3 months. Rinse, lather and repeat.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Correct, bad idea. But I have found that it seems to help to have a couple high experience pilots in your training squadrons. Perhaps they're helping the squadron leader guide the recruits.

I haven't done any formal tests, but I do have a few training squadrons with a couple 80+ experience pilots thrown in, and those squadrons seem to be training up a bit quicker (and yes, all of the compared squadrons have leaders with similar attributes). Like I said, I haven't done any formal testing, but I am leaning toward there being some slight difference.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

Correct, bad idea. But I have found that it seems to help to have a couple high experience pilots in your training squadrons. Perhaps they're helping the squadron leader guide the recruits.

I haven't done any formal tests, but I do have a few training squadrons with a couple 80+ experience pilots thrown in, and those squadrons seem to be training up a bit quicker (and yes, all of the compared squadrons have leaders with similar attributes). Like I said, I haven't done any formal testing, but I am leaning toward there being some slight difference.

I also faintly remember reading in some thread about this. And if i remember now correctly, leader skill "leadership" also helps (im not on my comp)!
> A diamond?
sanch

Post by sanch »

A related item I figured out ...

Ideally you would want your training groups to have most pilots at a similar level (excepting the trained ace item mentioned above).

If your training group's pilots are all in the same experience range, they will all train up more or less equally.

But, if you have a training group with pilots of significantly different experience levels, most of the training will go to the lesser experienced, and the more experienced pilots will just sit there and be bored.

A RL example (at least game RL ...)

Suppose you have a 20-pilot training group with all the pilots at, say 48-50 experience. You suck off the top 10 to the reserve pool (for reassignment to front line squadrons), and replace with 10 pilots at 30 experience from the replacement pool.

Now you will have 10 pilots at 46-48 and 10 pilots at 30.

Most of the training advances will go to the 30-level pilots, and the 46-48 pilots gain almost nothing. While good for the 30-experience pilots, it's a waste for the 46-48 experience pilots, as they will gain very little.

Now, suppose you dropped the 10 30-experience pilots from this group, and replaced with 10 pilots at 46-48 level. Now you would have all 20 pilots at similar experience, so they would all be training up, more or less equally.

One caveat - good luck finding spare 46-48 experience bomber pilots if you are the allies in 42!

BigBadWolf

Post by BigBadWolf »

There was a very thorough test done on the subject few years back proving that having aces in training squadrons has no effect on training. If anything, it slows it down, on account dice roles being wasted on high level pilots.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Ok thank you both!
> A diamond?
czert2

Post by czert2 »

ORIGINAL: sanch

Ideally you would want your training groups to have most pilots at a similar level (excepting the trained ace item mentioned above).

If your training group's pilots are all in the same experience range, they will all train up more or less equally.

But, if you have a training group with pilots of significantly different experience levels, most of the training will go to the lesser experienced, and the more experienced pilots will just sit there and be bored.

Suppose you have a 20-pilot training group with all the pilots at, say 48-50 experience. You suck off the top 10 to the reserve pool (for reassignment to front line squadrons), and replace with 10 pilots at 30 experience from the replacement pool.

Most of the training advances will go to the 30-level pilots, and the 46-48 pilots gain almost nothing. While good for the 30-experience pilots, it's a waste for the 46-48 experience pilots, as they will gain very little.

Now, suppose you dropped the 10 30-experience pilots from this group, and replaced with 10 pilots at 46-48 level. Now you would have all 20 pilots at similar experience, so they would all be training up, more or less equally.

One caveat - good luck finding spare 46-48 experience bomber pilots if you are the allies in 42!

How it exactly work ?
say normály pilot gain 20 points per month and you create 30/60xp skill group.
It will 30 sklil pilots gain same 20 points or "accelerated" 30 points while 60xp pilots get 10 (or even less) points ?
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

There was a very thorough test done on the subject few years back proving that having aces in training squadrons has no effect on training. If anything, it slows it down, on account dice roles being wasted on high level pilots.

Thanks. Good to know. I guess I should take them out and not trust my casual observations.

(Although it's going to be tough to ignore all those green numbers that show up nearly every turn in these squadrons.)
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: czert2

ORIGINAL: sanch

How it exactly work ?
say normály pilot gain 20 points per month and you create 30/60xp skill group.
It will 30 sklil pilots gain same 20 points or "accelerated" 30 points while 60xp pilots get 10 (or even less) points ?

A typical Japanese pilot will start with 30~35 exp and less than 30 in any skill
after few months of training (assuming 100% training) he will quickly move to 45%~50% exp 65%~70% skill
after this is achieved, you should change the skill to something else (bombers come to mind) or move it to combat reserve if it is a fighter.
if you keep him training (bomber example) then exp will keep growing slowly from 50% to 60% (after 60, growth will stop or become increasingly slower); but if you change the skill, the new one will increase dramatically at first, and then slowly.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”