What does this mean? (No Khyberbill)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

RE: What does this mean? (No Khyberbill)

Post by geofflambert »

It took a while to figure out which side you're on, but the hexside you have your green arrow pointing to is red/green, meaning either side can cross, but if you cross from the southwest to the northeast, you are definitely subject to a shock attack roll. You can "own" every hexside except the one your opponent crosses, forcing him (if he must retreat) to reverse through it. He would also be pinned, unable to cross any other hexside before ejecting you from that hex. In this particular case the Japanese own the hexside immediately east of Akyab, as well as the one between the hex NE of Akyab and the hex SE of that hex. The allied player owns only the hexside at 1:30 o'clock (NE) of the hex you have your arrow pointed at.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Looking at this again, you have a unit or units moving directly east from Akyab. That hexside is indeed yours. As far as I know you should not be forced into a shock attack. I cannot account for why the river hexside is described as the enemy's. There must be some additional condition I'm unaware of.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

You will trigger a shock attack, no matter what the troop ratio, if your units cross the river while in "move" mode. So, even when you have the right ratio to avoid a shock attack, your units have to cross in combat mode.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Quixote

Icedawg,
Note that there is no "owning" a hex, like there is "owning" a base. You control (or don't control) hexsides, but you don't control non-base hexes. That said, the normal rules for river crossings will apply. If you didn't have enough AV cross that specific hexside the first time (or if this is the first crossing) you should see a shock attack. If you met the AV conditions on a previous crossing, then you shouldn't.

I have to disagree with you. Otherwise, what's the point of the A's and J's and when you hit the "W" hot key?

I was in the hex first having moved a Rgt from Akyab (that's why there's a J in the hex and the hexside bordering Akyab is red). Then he moved in from the NE. I was in the process of moving the 21st Div from Akyab to reinforce and noticed the red word "enemy" next to the blue word "river" in the LCU window. This last bit is what caused my angst.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Looking at this again, you have a unit or units moving directly east from Akyab. That hexside is indeed yours. As far as I know you should not be forced into a shock attack. I cannot account for why the river hexside is described as the enemy's. There must be some additional condition I'm unaware of.

I'm of the same mind as you on this one. If I control the hexside I'm crossing over, why should I trigger a shock attack? My boys are in control of the crossing routes (bridges, fords etc), so why would I have to attack across the river?
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You will trigger a shock attack, no matter what the troop ratio, if your units cross the river while in "move" mode. So, even when you have the right ratio to avoid a shock attack, your units have to cross in combat mode.

Yeah, you are correct. I stayed in Move mode for one more turn knowing that it would not yet take me into the hex. I have now switched over to Combat mode for the last couple of miles (which I should cover this turn).
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Waiting on the turn from my opponent right now. Once I get it and run it I'll let you guys know whether a shock attack is triggered in this situation.

I hate being a guinea pig. [:)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I recently crossed a hexside in move mode (by accident) without triggering one (whew!) and the enemy force outnumbered my force that crossed. I did however have other troops in the hex that had gotten there via a different hexside. Could there be some other factor involved and/or a die roll?

Frozencanid, I think the "A"s and "J"s just designate whose forces were first in a hex. This pins any opposing forces that enter the hex to only be able to leave thru the same hexside they came in.

Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I recently crossed a hexside in move mode (by accident) without triggering one (whew!) and the enemy force outnumbered my force that crossed. I did however have other troops in the hex that had gotten there via a different hexside. Could there be some other factor involved and/or a die roll?

Frozencanid, I think the "A"s and "J"s just designate whose forces were first in a hex. This pins any opposing forces that enter the hex to only be able to leave thru the same hexside they came in.

Thanks for the clarification. So the idealistic Spaniard was correct. My apologies Quixote, I should not have doubted you.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Gorn, is this what you think I look like?

Attachments
frozendog.jpg
frozendog.jpg (8.77 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

Thanks for the clarification. So the idealistic Spaniard was correct. My apologies Quixote, I should not have doubted you.

Be careful. Info is being tossed around in this thread which is not 100% correct. I just searched on "hex control" and got many thread hits (Alfred, Treespider in particular have a handle) which have excellent descriptions of the situation in AE, which is to be sure VERY different than that found in WITP or most wargames using ZOCs.

Take a look yourself. It'll help.
The Moose
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Gorn, is this what you think I look like?

Just when you wake up on Monday morning.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I don't know how to forward these things, so I took a screenshot.

Attachments
alfredhexcontrol.jpg
alfredhexcontrol.jpg (463.62 KiB) Viewed 60 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here's the post Alfred was responding to:

Attachments
alfredhex..viberpol.jpg
alfredhex..viberpol.jpg (317.21 KiB) Viewed 60 times

kmitahj

Post by kmitahj »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
[...]
situation in AE, which is to be sure VERY different than that found in WITP or most wargames using ZOCs.
[...]
VERY different indeed because is - to my knowleadge - the only wargame where nobody really knows the rules according to which the game is played. At least no mortals are allowed to know The Rules - supposedly there is one semi-mythical Creature called "Alfred" which alone knows all the ins & outs of AE Rulebook. It is this Creature mere wargamers are calling in vain when they found themself in situation as desperate as in that thread. [:D]

Never so many played a game knowing so little about the rules the game is to be played.[:)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I am no mere mortal, I make up my own rules up as I go along, in case you hadn't noticed. I depend not on "knowleadge" but rather on magic. I happen to have some at my disposal. Did you see my earlier post (in another thread) about my hyena farm? Well...

Attachments
unigornfinal.jpg
unigornfinal.jpg (339.39 KiB) Viewed 60 times

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: kmitahj

VERY different indeed because is - to my knowleadge - the only wargame where nobody really knows the rules according to which the game is played. At least no mortals are allowed to know The Rules - supposedly there is one semi-mythical Creature called "Alfred" which alone knows all the ins & outs of AE Rulebook. It is this Creature mere wargamers are calling in vain when they found themself in situation as desperate as in that thread. [:D]

Never so many played a game knowing so little about the rules the game is to be played.[:)]

I can attest that Alfred is not semi-mythical. [:)]
The Moose
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Okay, the suspense is over - no shock attack was triggered. The 21st Division arrived without any fireworks. Apparently, since I owned the hexside, the 1/3 AV requirement didn't matter.

So, as long as you control the hexside, you can cross a river without worry.

Now, what I want to know is why the word "enemy" was shown in red next to the word "river". When I see something in red, whistles and bells go off telling me something really bad is about to happen. In this case, I guess red just happened to be someone's favorite color.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

When I see something in red, whistles and bells go off telling me something really bad is about to happen.

[:)]
DON'T PANIC!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

When I see something in red, whistles and bells go off telling me something really bad is about to happen.

[:)]
DON'T PANIC!
Did you bring a towel.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”