Post up your favorite templates

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Falokis

Post up your favorite templates

Post by Falokis »

I would recommend using this for an "evil" race. It works best if you set the policy to:

ResearchDesignOverallFocus ;raw power
ResearchDesignTechFocus1 ;construction
ResearchDesignTechFocus2 ;beams
ResearchDesignTechFocus3 ;missiles
ResearchDesignTechFocus4 ;shields
ResearchDesignTechFocus5 ;damage control
ResearchDesignTechFocus6 ;bombard weapons

WarAttacksAllowColonyBombardment: (0) At every opportunity or (1)Against empires we intensely dislike
WarAttacksAllowPlanetDestroying: same as above

NewColonyPopulationPolicyYourRaceFamily 2=Resettle
NewColonyPopulationPolicyAllRaces 4=Exterminate

Attachments
terran.zip
(57.42 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
paShadoWn

RE: Post up your favorite templates

Post by paShadoWn »

Well your designs have some flaws.
- collectors on combat ships? have you ever seen them being still?
- 15 engines? i use 8 on my 'fast' ships, because in practice enemies fly to you with their imba number of engines and then you blow them up
- medical center? seriously? even on transports you dont need it cuz troops wont heal fast enough between constant drops
-2 vectoring engines? second adds about 20% to turn rate
- troop compartments on anything but transports? your combat ships would be weak cuz tcomps are huge and some troops will be uselessly stuck in task forces
- ion defence is useless it never works
- you need more than one ion cannon for it to take any effect, or none at all
- 10 armor? railguns say hello
- bombardment? it will stick nukes to it, nukes are junk cuz you can have hvy rails instead
- hyperdeny is worthless cuz its huge and proper design should blow up anything before it charges hyper or scare it away and proceed to cap planets
- 10 shields? it wont fit on early sizes, and 6-8 are usually enough - you can set to retreat when attacked if it isnt
Do not hesitate to flee.
Falokis

Post by Falokis »

ORIGINAL: paShadoWn

Well your designs have some flaws.
- collectors on combat ships? have you ever seen them being still?
- 15 engines? i use 8 on my 'fast' ships, because in practice enemies fly to you with their imba number of engines and then you blow them up
- medical center? seriously? even on transports you dont need it cuz troops wont heal fast enough between constant drops
-2 vectoring engines? second adds about 20% to turn rate
- troop compartments on anything but transports? your combat ships would be weak cuz tcomps are huge and some troops will be uselessly stuck in task forces
- ion defence is useless it never works
- you need more than one ion cannon for it to take any effect, or none at all
- 10 armor? railguns say hello
- bombardment? it will stick nukes to it, nukes are junk cuz you can have hvy rails instead
- hyperdeny is worthless cuz its huge and proper design should blow up anything before it charges hyper or scare it away and proceed to cap planets
- 10 shields? it wont fit on early sizes, and 6-8 are usually enough - you can set to retreat when attacked if it isnt
-fleets sit still all the time
-15 engines are so I can set my smaller ships with lots of missiles to "standoff" and they will never take a hit from slow ships or at the very least can move away at will.
-I think any ship that carries troops can handle the 4 units needed for a med center and the benefit
-Troop transport on mid to high end ships is a good thing because you always have 100k+ troops in any fleet ready to invade.
-10 armor hurts at the start. after repair robots come into play, railguns are worthless
-hyperdeny works great for smaller ship that stand at max range firing missiles, it allows smaller faster ships to chop down larger, slower ones

Feel free to post up something. I'm interested.
paShadoWn

Post by paShadoWn »

- fleets sit still all the time? Yeeeah i get it youre one of those peese-loving hippies or what. Man, if your fleets are not blowing something up (they are, noticeably, moving when doing so) you built them for sole purpose: to burn maintenance.

- 15 engines for standoff? Useless because large ships are slow because of mass and if you have 'really' lots of missiles they will rest in pieces before they catch up to 8 engines. Usually they go down from alpha.

- man i repeat troop pods make ships weak because they waste space and give neither tank nor dmg. You have 'one' fleet made from unarmed transports 'only' and you manually drop on planets. Scripts for planetary assaults are shit, they will suicide your troops on homeworld REPEATEDLY or drop then THEN bombard them. Or simply go for some unimportant backward holes first. No troops on auto fleets is a rule.

-10 armor hurts at the start you mean they eat steel? i do not even start building fleets before 4-5 steel mines close to shipyards, after that i have no deficit of it. Repairbots are very far in tech tree if youre not Ikkuro, and if you play 500k tech like i do it is long time before you get them; and they 'help' vs railguns not 'negate' them. All railguns alpha no recharge (filled to reactor power cap) bullshits still one-shoot everything even with repairbots on it. And monsters love munching on low armor ships.

- hyperdeny is useful with what you said? wont argue, but i do not use this tactic, i prefer to alpha everything instead of wasting time on slow whittling; and if their large ships got missile too your small are screwed regardless of hyperdeny; from what ive seen in shadows ai loves missles.

You think you can freely waste 4 space on early ships? Thats what will get you screwed. 4 space is an extra gun, or whopping 4 armor.

Have you played Wargame:Airland Battle? There them US have big launchers on unarmored jeeps yes they are fast but this is secondary because rockets one-shoot a tank. If you have enough alpha rest doesnt matters, go read on suicide ganking fits in hi-sec.
Do not hesitate to flee.
MarQan

Post by MarQan »

How do I load your designs in-game?
iz aculi gubi
Falokis

Post by Falokis »

ORIGINAL: MarQan

How do I load your designs in-game?
C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\designTemplates\<race you are trying to edit>

Just drop these over the default race template you want to use them. You may want to save a copy of the original. After that, I suggest starting the game and using the in game policy editor to make the adjustments suggested above. Then just play that race to see what you think or play against them.
paShadoWn

Post by paShadoWn »

I loaded 300 size autodesign when starting new game. When i threw out all junk from it, i fitted there eight more guns and 2 shields.
Do not hesitate to flee.
Astax

Post by Astax »

I want to make my own autodesigns, but I do not want to mess up a ny of the other races... so I think I will make my own race from scratch :)
MarQan

Post by MarQan »

Wow, a new race?
How can I do that? :)
iz aculi gubi

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”