[REL] Supplemental Systems List - 1000 + 2400 New Systems Names

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

historyis

[REL] Supplemental Systems List - 1000 + 2400 New Systems Names

Post by historyis »

I should start by saying that the list I've created is not designed to be a total replacement for the existing system.txt that comes with the game.

Rather, it is a list that has been designed as an augmentation, something which adds some additional flavor to both the systems.txt and/or Tampa_Gamer's 1500 unique/easy names mod. It is something which is adding more ingredients to the soup.

There is no naming overlap with Tampa_Gamer's system list nor with the systems.txt list that currently comes with the game natively.

This is a list of system names that were culled from both some usual and unusual sources. While there are a fair number of Greek, Roman and Norse-based names on this list, there are also a lot of entries from sources which lend themselves to names which are unique and alien sounding while still maintaining their accessibility for the majority of players.

I've used many of the same selection criteria as I believe Tampa_Gamer did when they produced their own list: no double names, no really long names and the vast majority have letter combinations which make pronunciation and taking notes quite easy for most players.

While it is possible for a player to use this list exclusively due to its length, I think that it works much better as an addition to an existing systems.txt list rather than by itself since both Codeforce and Tampa_gamer have covered so much ground already so I feel it would be better to copy the list I've created and append it to the end of whichever systems.txt file you are currently using in your customizations folder.

I am providing two versions of this file. One is a categorized list which has commented out section names so that individual users can go in and easily remove sets of names that they may feel are incompatible with the naming conventions they enjoy, and a second is an alphabetical list with no categories.

Hopefully, in designing this list to be used in this way, I have made it much more flexible for people to use with their current lists and it makes updating it with more names easier since I can release smaller lists with just the new names that players can add to their existing lists if they want to.

I've just added another list of 2400 additional names to this, and because I am replacing the single file with two files, I have made them a zip file containing both the original list of 1000 names and the new list with the 2400 new names as well (for a grand total of 3400 new system names between them).

If you already downloaded the first file of 1000 (now named suppsystems1*.txt in the zip), you do not need to add it to your existing systems file, you will only need the contents of the suppsystems2*.txt file from the zip.

The alphabetized lists are attached to this post and the categorized versions will be attached to the following post.
Attachments
suppsystemsalpha.zip
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 932 times
historyis

RE: Supplemental Systems List - 1000 New Systems Names

Post by historyis »

Categorized Lists are attached to this post as zip.
Attachments
suppsystemscateg.zip
(16.42 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

Interesting, I just noticed the name Nausicaa (from the Miyazaki movie) on the list. Curiously, Wikipedia says the meaning is "burner of ships".
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Thanks for this. I have TG's as a base then I added yours plus I added some double word names I liked from Baleur's.
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
historyis

Post by historyis »

I didn't even know about Baleur's. I should take a look at that.

AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

For fun here is my combo file.
Attachments
systems.txt
(30.86 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
historyis

Post by historyis »

I have a bigger second part coming down the pike. I am at over 900 more names at the moment and I keep thinking of new places to find them every day.
historyis

Post by historyis »

I am at over 1600, and when I reach somewhere over 2000, I will release the second part.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Glad to see you keeping at it. I'm using your first additions to TG's list in my games and enjoying them.

May I suggest that once you get to 2000 that you go back through the combined list and do some pruning? Set some criteria like names which are too alike, or too long, or just out of theme and get rid of them.

Just a thought. [:)]
historyis

Post by historyis »

Have you noticed anything weird that I should know about?
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

No, not in particular. [:)]

But then I look at the first page of the file and wonder if 'Adega' and 'Adiga' aren't going to get confused by me, for example. Or 'Aghia' and 'Aghra'.

One of the things I do not like about the original systems names file is that when you play large numbers of systems you end up with 'Yenkur', 'Yenkur Minor', 'Yenkur Major' and 'Yenkur Junction' and poor muddled head me, well, muddles them up.
historyis

Post by historyis »

Those are from Tampa_Gamer's file. But I will certainly keep that in mind. There may be a couple of things like that in my current file by itself, but I was hoping that with greater breadth that the likelihood that multiple names that are closely related like that popping up would become relatively rare even in a 1400 star system.

Because I know for a fact that I have a Hanbi and a Hampi in my released file so it may be an issue, so I do appreciate the feedback since I only really have one data point available to me at the moment so people telling me about potential issues is always a plus.
historyis

Post by historyis »

I have added another text file with additional 2400 names for both the alphabetized and categorized lists for a total of 3400+ system names.

I have made zip files with both the original and the new supplement (which are two separate lists).
historyis

Post by historyis »

Is the systems.txt file still a list separated by commas?
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Great lists [:)]

Is it ok to use them in a theme?

Couple of things,

You missed commas for the entries of Bulahdelah, Itzamnam and Pelleas in suppsystems2alpha.txt.

The entry for Qarah has a full stop not a comma

You have missed the space at the end of the comma for all entries in both files (referencing the vanilla file)

Darkspire
historyis

Post by historyis »

First, feel free to use my lists in any mods you want.

Secondly, thank you for telling me about these mistakes so I can fix them. I noticed in my last Shadows game that there was a character in one of the names that the game had trouble interpreting so it came up using the [] symbol.

I'll get right to fixing these mistakes. I appreciate you telling me. :)
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Okay, this is a glacial response because sometimes that is how quickly I move. [:D]

I went through the supplementalalpha1 list (just scanning down the list mind you, so really all I compared were names with the first couple of letters) and the names I found that I thought were too similar are:

Horsa
Hagan
Bolan
Coronis
Ica
Kannagi
Kubera
Macha
Maris
Octa
Peada
Rechila
Siva
Sunna

In most cases there was a conflict with one similar name (so I wanted Hagan or Hagar but not both - I decided not to leave Helga lonely...) but sometimes it was two or more in which case the name to be deleted was not so arbitrary.

Also I noticed that selene is not capitalised, and I'm guessing it should be.

After making these changes to the list it comes out at exactly 1000 names, again. For me this is enough to add to the 600 codeforce names to guarantee unique system names for max star maps (in fact I guessing only about 2/3 will be used in any one playthrough).

By the way as of Universe the name of the file controlling system names has been changed (although the old one is still present ...) to systemNames.txt but is otherwise unchanged in format and content as far as I can tell.

Return to “Design and Modding”