What to do with Soviets early

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Justus2

What to do with Soviets early

Post by Justus2 »

I've noticed some posts talking about building Soviet bases, or training forces. When I play (Allies vs AI) I have just ignored the Soviets, I figured I would deal with them when they activate (have never made it that far). Should I be setting up their air training, building bases, etc? How do most of you handle them?
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
MineSweeper

RE: What to do with Soviets early

Post by MineSweeper »

I usually play the Japanese empire and others might have more knowledge about the allies. ck

Here goes

Train pilots (max out your groups) - get good group commander leaders
Enlarge your airfields
Upgrade your land units when applicable
Put together a plan of attack and move units where needed
Check your land unit leaders and replace bad ones

The Kwatung army could be weak - usually the Japanese player will transfer armor units to China (non AI game - maybe)

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

I usually play the Japanese empire and others might have more knowledge about the allies. ck

Here goes

Train pilots (max out your groups) - get good group commander leaders
Enlarge your airfields
Upgrade your land units when applicable
Put together a plan of attack and move units where needed
Check your land unit leaders and replace bad ones

The Kwatung army could be weak - usually the Japanese player will transfer armor units to China (non AI game - maybe)

All that but you cannot move land units until active but you can still plan.
You get no naval units until active
You can upgrade air units
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

There isn't much you can do, since you can't move units. And more than likely, it doesn't matter much.

I wouldn't bother until mid-1945, then you still have a few months to train or prep

But by August 1945, war is over anyway more than likely, and no matter what, the Kwantung Army isn't going to stop the Soviets. Look at the OOB of one of the Guards Mech Corps, and think about 300 Stalin Tanks vs. the IJA 37mm standard issue AT gun.....
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Very few games get to Soviet activation so don't fret too much. About every six months in game time I clean out the pilots and put new pilots in to train. That is about all you can do. Build up your reserve pilot pools.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Lomri

Post by Lomri »

Some of the remote basis that don't have a supply line should have all construction turned off and maybe even no training flights. You can't resupply them and by 1943 they will run out of supply.

(but if you forget it also is probably not a big deal ;)
czert2

Post by czert2 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

There isn't much you can do, since you can't move units. And more than likely, it doesn't matter much.

I wouldn't bother until mid-1945, then you still have a few months to train or prep

But by August 1945, war is over anyway more than likely, and no matter what, the Kwantung Army isn't going to stop the Soviets. Look at the OOB of one of the Guards Mech Corps, and think about 300 Stalin Tanks vs. the IJA 37mm standard issue AT gun.....
One can only think why is no sucide land idiots, er i mean special anti tank individuals implemented for land combat.
czert2

Post by czert2 »

i think expanding all main bases from which you will operate is smart - you will notice difference if operating fron 5 or 8 base (mainly overstacked ones) and traing of good reserve pilots when acual fight start is good idea too.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

I spend time once every six months of game time in the Soviet area...

- First pass (by EOM Dec 41/Jan 42) - add pilots, round out a few short Sqdns w/repl AC, set all to training. Start build up at the larger bases (ports, airfields)
- next few passes... some AC upgrades, maybe replace a few commanders
- by mid 43. Make a "napkin sketch" of likely attack vectors, set LCU objectives IAW with objectives...keep napkin in case needed...because if your like me you'll never remember who was supposed to go where two years later in game time. LCUs are nicely positioned for a number of rolling wave attacks. So this will be the longest of your pre-turns for Soviets.
- mid 43/ early 44. Sweep through and reset pilots in training to build up reserve pool. (two passes is likely a waste of time, once should give you more than enough reserve pilots) Update AC. Watch supply levels, build smaller bases (if/as needed or supportable).

Only about 5-8 "touches" before potential activation but should be more then enough so that you're ready if/when needed without spending too much time. I usually use Xmas and 4th of July as my to reminders to go touch the Soviets...but then again I'm a heathen christian born of colonial terrorists from 1776...any two dates will do [8D]

Kevin
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

the Soviet Rifle Sqd 43 starts producing in Jan 41, so by about March 43 there's a decent amount in the pool. Then & once every following quarter, go thru your Soviet Rifle & Motor Div/Bgds to upgrade their 41 Sqds, I found it convenient to do this by HQ formation (1st Banner Army, 17th Army, etc.), leaving the Region Fortress CD units for last. The Rifle Sqd 43 has 3 times the anti-armor & better than twice the anti-soft firepower than the 41 Rifle Sqd, so it's a 'must have'. The Motor Sqd 43 gets the 3X anti-armor improvement, but degrades a bit in anti-soft - it's the Motor Sqd 44 that you want.

Other than the infantry upgrades, there's not much to be done 'til the T-34/85 starts building in 5/44, but I'm stockpiling these for future use as replacements.

The really heavy death-star LCUs don't start arriving 'til May 45 (in my DBB_B game).
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Max the port at Vladivostok and max the airfields anywhere near the border including on Sakhalin. If you're playing the Allies from the point of view of the US or UK, which is hard not to do, you actually don't want the Soviets to take too much territory in Manchukuo and especially Korea, so you should prepare to try to prevent that by getting there first. But you must also play it fairly and prepare the Soviets to make a maximal effort. That being said, the Soviet airforce is not designed for this theatre, and it poses little threat to the home islands. Vladivostok should be maxed so you have the option of accepting US units and supplies there in large quantities to finish the job against the Japanese. You need to play it with two minds though, always what is the best interest of the Soviets and what is the best interest of the western allies. Don't cheat. Try and be realistic. In any case Vladivostok needs to be maxed, and the Soviet airfields near Manchukuo are totally inadequate.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”