So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what?

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

KEYSTONE07950

RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what?

Post by KEYSTONE07950 »

I used to have hope that Tiller would release Panzer Battles (a new series at the same scale as the Campaign Series). Since that seems like vapor ware - I'm glad we have JTCS. Looking forward to the new patch.[:)]
I support the right to arm bears!
LoneWulf63

Post by LoneWulf63 »

ORIGINAL: Deputy

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

On a patch no, on an upgrade yes (CM Battle for Normandy v2.0). Newb? Shows me your level of intelligence. I probably started playing wargames when you were still in diapers. BTW, what have you contributed to JTCS?

So you say, but you continue to make newb comments.
Screw this. You don't know crap from Crisco. And again, if this gets me banned from the forums, so be it. But someone needs to tell you exactly what they think of you are. Someone that takes but does nothing in return to help a situation. When they don't get what they want when they want it, they start whining about it. People like you don't try to help this situation, just complain about it. Stick that in your hat Deputy Dawg.
In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

I may soon run out of popcorn.

Not yet though.

Hey Battle Kat. Gonna try out your Forgotten Battles mod. Looks pretty cool!

Lots of people involved in making of it. The idea is it would be the one mod to contain all the EF mods. So far so good! [:)]

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
LoneWulf63

Post by LoneWulf63 »

Not yet though.

Nah, I am not going to waste my time on this individual any longer. I have more important things to do, like make some new units for you guys and my conversion scenarios.
In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Not yet though.

Hey Battle Kat. Gonna try out your Forgotten Battles mod. Looks pretty cool!

Lots of people involved in making of it. The idea is it would be the one mod to contain all the EF mods. So far so good! [:)]

Drat! I can use it in the 1.04 version of the game I have installed, but when I put it in the 1.02 version, it changes it to 1.04. Oh well...still a nice mod. [:)]
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

So you say, but you continue to make newb comments.

The wind might have changed direction but the stench is the same. [:'(]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
&#8213; Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Drat! I can use it in the 1.04 version of the game I have installed, but when I put it in the 1.02 version, it changes it to 1.04. Oh well...still a nice mod. [:)]

That's right, it is a 1.04 mod.
---
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Yeah man, Forgotten Battles rocks!! Try out some of the Bulgarian stuff, you ever play them, Deputy? Good pretty small battle is the one, Forward the Armored Brigade, I still get a kick out of it!!

Got lots of other Minor stuff in the works, oh, also there is Battle of Szack, involves Polish/Russian fare, play it as the Poles!!;-)
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Yeah man, Forgotten Battles rocks!! Try out some of the Bulgarian stuff, you ever play them, Deputy? Good pretty small battle is the one, Forward the Armored Brigade, I still get a kick out of it!!

Got lots of other Minor stuff in the works, oh, also there is Battle of Szack, involves Polish/Russian fare, play it as the Poles!!;-)

Looks good but no info on how to install scenarios. Do you install them with JSGME or what?[&:]
Squad Battles
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Just drop them to East Front folder. Each scenario description should have a line EF:FB is required. I had them first as part of the download, but it was neigh impossible to keep them in sync, with new scenarios coming along.
---
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Ack...I dropped the scenario in and can't find it. Too dang many scenarios. Hey, is this mod strictly for scenarios or does it do anything with/for campaign games?
Squad Battles
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

That's right it lots of scenarios in the folder. I always sort by date to find what I am looking for.

No extra work done with campaigns, sorry...
---
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Deputy, you a big DCG fan? I've played the hell out of them over the years, always a blast and tinkered, (of course) with the files pretty extensively. Have you played around with the DCG files, orgs, anything like that, or no? Just wondering, because you can add other country's in to help, change the maps, pretty much anything you want, I like to alter the amount of arty and stuff. AI is always heavy in that.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

In regards to the above, if anything was to be done with campaigns, what would you like to see with this mod? Some specific area, battle, country's involved?!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

On a patch no, on an upgrade yes (CM Battle for Normandy v2.0). Newb? Shows me your level of intelligence. I probably started playing wargames when you were still in diapers. BTW, what have you contributed to JTCS?

Actually we are all about the same age around here.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Wolfie1

Post by Wolfie1 »

You mean around 50 ish?

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

More ish than that. Around 60.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Hey speak for yourself... [:D]
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

It is rather sad. An individual who's majority of posts are negative, complaining, and combative. He plays with a back level JTCS patch (1.02 released in 2007)and complains about the current and future patches. He only plays the AI and constantly complains about it. AI shortcomings / limitations have been documented for years - that's why majority of JTCS players are involved in PBeM. He "threatens" to leave these forums. But sadly does not leave. He heads over to the GameSquad forums, where he immediately starts complaining about Squad Battles. Essentially, he accuses a lead developer of Red Victory of being a racist and manages to get a thread closed because of his belligerent and combative behavior. http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread. ... ght=Deputy

And to what end? How has his actions advanced or contributed to any forum?

Why would an individual, who constantly is negative, complaining, and combative about either JTCS or Squad Battles, or any other PC game, continue to play these games? Why not give it up and move on to something else? Life is short. Why not enjoy your time instead of constantly complaining about a game system?

To me, it does not make much sense. [&:]

As a gamer, I understand and accept the short comings of various game systems. JTCS AI is sub-par (I'm being nice!) and frankly way too easy to beat. IMO, any JTCS player, who wants to have a "fun" and "exciting" experience with this game, really needs to embrace PBeM. Human versus human play is the only viable way to go with this game system given the poor AI. Is it fair? Nope. Am I dictating how others should approach and play JTCS? Nope. I'm simply stating that given the current state of the game system, and the historical development of various patches, and support, PBeM is a superior playing method for JTCS. I learned many years ago, to abandon solitaire play versus the AI, and move forward with PBeM. And you know what? I'm much happier for it! Not only do I get to enjoy JTCS in its current state, but I'm content and patient waiting for future patches and support. I'm enjoying the JTCS game system NOW and making many acquaintances and friends along the way!

Seems like a much better route to follow than constantly coming on these forums to complain?
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
berto

Post by berto »

Speaking for myself -- only and always -- and addressing just the PBEM vs. solo play issue:

[*]I have many good reasons to prefer solo play, and many good reasons to avoid PBEM. 'Nuf said.
[*]I play RS (and soon VN) mostly, where one side (e.g., the Japanese) are typically in fixed defensive positions, so a subpar AI (we all agree) is not so bad for the games and scenarios I play.
[*]Many players -- probably a majority, but in any case a sizable number -- prefer solo play against the AI, for whatever reason. We cannot ignore that market segment, and we will not.
[*]Given the above, given that other members of the dev team are PBEMers, and in my role as CS Lead Programmer, my preferring solo play is a feature, not a bug. I personally am highly motivated to fix the game's AI, as much as possible. I accept the challenge. Time will tell if I am able to meet it.

As for the rest of the "discussion", no comment. Actions speak louder than words. [8|]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”