[Mass Effect 4 mod] - Development stalled, released 80% finished mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

anarchysince88

RE: [PCM] - Prothean Cycle Mod - (30/03/2013)

Post by anarchysince88 »

Hi, I'm new to Distant Worlds, just got it a few days ago, must say the Mods available for the game made me buy it more than anything :). Love this Mod.

Wanted to say thanks for all your hard work, going to kill a lot of time playing this!
Demiurge13

Post by Demiurge13 »

Awesome mod dude! Definitely worth the wait. One question though, I don't have any of the new planets I remember seeing in your previews. I don't mean the battle maps when troops fight, those work. I mean the actual planets. is my download corrupted or are they intentionally missing and held off for a later patch?
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Demiurge13

Awesome mod dude! Definitely worth the wait. One question though, I don't have any of the new planets I remember seeing in your previews. I don't mean the battle maps when troops fight, those work. I mean the actual planets. is my download corrupted or are they intentionally missing and held off for a later patch?

Thank you!
I have already uploaded 1.2 Patch which contains planets, but still need to wait for a while until 'moddb' makes all checks of this patch. I'm sure it will be available today.[8D]
Shuul

Post by Shuul »

Found a bug in your mod:

construction sounds (all 5) are more then 1 minute long, when you zoom in were construction is ongoing sounds start to overlap (every 2 seconds new sound is played, because original sound is 2 sec long) so quite soon sound start to clutter and it is unbearable. I just replaced them with original sounds
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Shuul

Found a bug in your mod:

construction sounds (all 5) are more then 1 minute long, when you zoom in were construction is ongoing sounds start to overlap (every 2 seconds new sound is played, because original sound is 2 sec long) so quite soon sound start to clutter and it is unbearable. I just replaced them with original sounds

Thank you for the info, i will remove them from main download.[;)]
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

So how has the AI been changed? I'd really like to see a smarter AI in some areas!
RICO7878

Post by RICO7878 »

First off, awesome mod, really enjoying it so far and the awesome effects and new ships. Great job! Just wanted to ask about the preview images on page 2 of this thread for the Ditakur and Minor sets, they look very different in the final release or I couldn't find them in the sip images folder. Did these change over time? If you still have the shipsets for the ones in the preview pictures I think those are a lot cooler/better looking in my opinion. Any chance you can upload those? Thanks.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: invaderzim

So how has the AI been changed? I'd really like to see a smarter AI in some areas!

It was changed in Legends, but as Shadows came out with a lot of new features it will take some time for me to release AI improvements. Also, need to wait until matrix releases modding guide with info regarding race policies characteristics. But it is on my list![;)]

Please note that there is no way for me to make "Smart" AI because it's hard-coded, but i can make "Tough" AI.
ORIGINAL: RICO7878

First off, awesome mod, really enjoying it so far and the awesome effects and new ships. Great job! Just wanted to ask about the preview images on page 2 of this thread for the Ditakur and Minor sets, they look very different in the final release or I couldn't find them in the sip images folder. Did these change over time? If you still have the shipsets for the ones in the preview pictures I think those are a lot cooler/better looking in my opinion. Any chance you can upload those? Thanks.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! If you mean bluish ships which were intended to be for Ditakur and some minor ships, then i was forced to remove them because of copyright issues.
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

Hey, I really like some of the new graphics and sound in this mod. I am wondering though if it is possible to put all the files together into C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\[PCM] v1.2\ to make it easier to switch between mods.

Do mods to C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Sounds and C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Images only work if you overwrite the original game files?

Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

Hey, I really like some of the new graphics and sound in this mod. I am wondering though if it is possible to put all the files together into C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\[PCM] v1.2\ to make it easier to switch between mods.

Do mods to C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Sounds and C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Images only work if you overwrite the original game files?

Yeah, i would like myself to have such option. Overwriting seems to work better from by experience, as all sounds and some effects seem to not work if are in Customization folder.
Hope they will fix it.[;)]
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

Hmm, maybe that is because the modded sounds and images conflict with the original sounds. If you move the conflicting images and sounds from C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds into C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\Distant Worlds Original\ maybe then the entire mod could run from C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\[PCM] v1.2\
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

Hmm, removing files from the original images and sounds directly can make the game refuse to start, so maybe that's not a good idea.

I noticed some there are some images in C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\[PCM] v1.2\images\environment\planets\ that seem to work from the Customization folder, so that's progress.

Edit: Also, I looked at how Distant Worlds Extended is laid out. It looks like you can put alien race portraits into
C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\[PCM] v1.2\raceImages instead of C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\images\units\races

So it looks like you have to overwrite C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\images\units\ships\other to get it to work properly. However, all the ship families will work fine wif you put them in C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\[PCM] v1.2\shipImages\
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Ok! So I'm starting to take a look in detail at the game files you've put together. Firstly, very impressive artwork! I'd love if you could provide the overlay graphic and process you use to create the "hologram" effect so I could add it to race images I use.

Next I see that you have some very powerful races, with many having much higher stats than the races included in the base game. I would imagine this may fit with Prothean Cycle lore, but it gives me pause as to how the gameplay is balanced. Perhaps you've balanced them in a way I missed? In any case, I'd suggest taking a look at the stats other races use and base your racial stats off of those.

After that, it appears that a number of new races have been set as humanoid. Perhaps changing some to reptilian or amphibian would balance out the power bloc you're adding to the game. I also see the Reapers are set to be insectoid. I don't know much about Prothean lore, but I would imagine they should be machine.

Looking good otherwise, and I'll let you know if I find anything else interesting! Are you planning to create ground troops that fit with the Shadows imagery?

Edit: It appears the rachni are assigned to shipset 20, but you don't have a shipset 20 in the mod. Likewise the Vandomar are assigned shipset 18 and there isn't one. I'm not sure which shipsets you intended for these two races.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

Ok! So I'm starting to take a look in detail at the game files you've put together. Firstly, very impressive artwork! I'd love if you could provide the overlay graphic and process you use to create the "hologram" effect so I could add it to race images I use.

Next I see that you have some very powerful races, with many having much higher stats than the races included in the base game. I would imagine this may fit with Prothean Cycle lore, but it gives me pause as to how the gameplay is balanced. Perhaps you've balanced them in a way I missed? In any case, I'd suggest taking a look at the stats other races use and base your racial stats off of those.

After that, it appears that a number of new races have been set as humanoid. Perhaps changing some to reptilian or amphibian would balance out the power bloc you're adding to the game. I also see the Reapers are set to be insectoid. I don't know much about Prothean lore, but I would imagine they should be machine.

Looking good otherwise, and I'll let you know if I find anything else interesting! Are you planning to create ground troops that fit with the Shadows imagery?

Edit: It appears the rachni are assigned to shipset 20, but you don't have a shipset 20 in the mod. Likewise the Vandomar are assigned shipset 18 and there isn't one. I'm not sure which shipsets you intended for these two races.

Thank you for your constructive response and finding the problem relating to the race files.

I haven't yet balanced enough race policies(as i said need to wait until Shadows modding manual released); I'm not sure what do you mean about race stats; Humanoid=Organic, i have done that because: 1)Zha'til and Reapers are very tough 2)Because pop.policy implements not per race, but per race family, as Zha'til should be exterminated when organic species control the planet and vice versa(Zha'til are like a Geth in Mass Effect series) 3)By lore there is a wall between organics and synthetics, i represent it by making organic races humanoid and synthetic races machine; Yes, i'm planning to create ground troops; Rachni have no shipset for now,

BTW: I have uploaded race file fix. I will provide you overlays later, just remind me in couple of weeks, just bit busy in real life(summer you know).[:D]
Matys

Post by Matys »

This mod is amazing.[&o] I love the ships and the planets.

However, the nebulas seem to be invisible to me. Is that normal? What should they look like?
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

ORIGINAL: Tyrador
ORIGINAL: dostillevi

Thank you for your constructive response and finding the problem relating to the race files.

I haven't yet balanced enough race policies(as i said need to wait until Shadows modding manual released); I'm not sure what do you mean about race stats; Humanoid=Organic, i have done that because: 1)Zha'til and Reapers are very tough 2)Because pop.policy implements not per race, but per race family, as Zha'til should be exterminated when organic species control the planet and vice versa(Zha'til are like a Geth in Mass Effect series) 3)By lore there is a wall between organics and synthetics, i represent it by making organic races humanoid and synthetic races machine; Yes, i'm planning to create ground troops; Rachni have no shipset for now,

BTW: I have uploaded race file fix. I will provide you overlays later, just remind me in couple of weeks, just bit busy in real life(summer you know).[:D]

Ah I see what you're getting at. More or less you're making the non-Prothean Cycle races minor races and turning the game into humanoids vs machines! To clarify each point though:

-The race stats I was referring to are things like intelligence, aggressiveness, caution, etc. You have these mostly set to 150 for several races, which is significantly more than the default races have. My understanding is that high values will make these races much more powerful.

-Hopefully someday the game will allow race specific attitudes instead of just racial group profiling. I see now why you're doing this though.

I know how summer is! I've been super busy too. Good luck with everything!
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

By the way, I really like the ship models in your mod. How did you go about creating them? I'd like to try do make a new shipset or two for DW but I'm not sure how to get started.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

By the way, I really like the ship models in your mod. How did you go about creating them? I'd like to try do make a new shipset or two for DW but I'm not sure how to get started.
Some of them are made by me from scratch, others are copies and combinations of ships from various independent artists and different games. I suggest you to ask Kalthaniell, (Mass effect mod) he have done a lot of really awesome ships.
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

It'd be real nice to have a short tutorial. I looked online for one but didn't find much useful. I have the general concept, but the hull texturing and 3d shadowing still escape me. I can do a passable job, but its not nearly as good as what you have here or what Kalthaniell does.
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

I've taken a few of the races you made and turned them into "spoilers" to make game play interesting. I pulled these races from your mod and added them to my own personal mod with 49 races...

The Zha'til are a capable but enigmatic machine race that inhabits ice worlds. They are ruthless and able to carry on war without penalty, but they have little reason to engage in war and won't usually be the aggressor in a conflict.

The Vandomar are an amphibious powerhouse, focusing on income and wealth. They tend to be friendly with other races. The close resemblance to the Asari suggests some shared heritage, but unfortunately many Vandomar do not see this in a positive light and so they are not fond of the Asari. The Asari have no such negative feelings towards the Vandomar.

The Ditakur give the Ursidians a purpose, as they are capable and also a bit xenophobic. Ursidians now have very strong affinity for each other and a slightly smaller affinity for the rodent races, for whom they should act as protectors.

The Rachni are an insect spoiler in that they dislike the more conniving insect races and are neutral towards or only slightly like the others. I've made them more intelligent than you had them, and the less xenophobic and more intelligent races will see that the rachni are more misunderstood than bad.

Lastly, the Endorumi are highly militaristic and xenophobic amphibian race. They like and are well liked by other amphibious races, and they respect power among other races. They detest humans and have low regard for other humanoids due to what they perceive as a meddling attitude.. Amphibians shouldn't have to stand next to humanoids as the chief galactic powers.

As you can probably imagine, I don't know much about what these races are supposed to be like in the ME universe!

Return to “Design and Modding”