Changing the Natural Race Affinities for Each Other

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Admiral Moe Lester

Changing the Natural Race Affinities for Each Other

Post by Admiral Moe Lester »

As the title says, how would one go about changing the natural dispositions between the races ("we naturally like/dislike you" bonuses)?.

EDIT: I just noticed "biases.txt." I wonder what that does? [:D]

2nd EDIT: I confess I know little about scripting and modding but I am wondering how difficult it would be to have the affinities be semi random. I have only a vague feeling that this is incredibly hard or still impossible but I would like to hear from the experts what could be done about this. Also I would like to know what it would take to get it to work if it won't out of curiosity and the vain hope that Eric or Elliot read this as they plan the next modding focused expansion.
Shark7

RE: Changing the Natural Race Affinities for Each Other

Post by Shark7 »

biases.txt is what you use to make them like or dislike each other more.

The range is from -50 to +50. Unless you want races instantly going to war with you or giving immediate MDPs, you really do need to keep the values in the more moderate ranges.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Admiral Moe Lester

RE: Changing the Natural Race Affinities for Each Other

Post by Admiral Moe Lester »

Thanks but I already found that. What I am wondering is if someone could hack together some work around so the affinities would be somewhat variable. The idea is that each race could spawn multiple "personalities" like a human faction seeking to become something like the Federation or one that believes it is the sole inheritor of the fallen human empire and thus tries to subjugate all other humans.

The only thing my humble mind can come up with is to create duplicate races with the altered "backgrounds" but that would involve creating many races that I am pretty sure DW can't handle. Also I would be a little put off fighting the Boskara C so I think it would be great if someone could come up with a more elegant solution.

Return to “Design and Modding”