Horn Island Defences

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dwg

Horn Island Defences

Post by dwg »

Interesting article on the defences of Horn Island in the Torres Strait http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/~/media/Docume ... seekee.pdf

AFAICS the historical defences listed in the article substantially exceed the ones shown in most WITP scenarios, with the eventual total being 2xBL 6" Mk II, 1xBL 4.7" Mk III, 2 or 3x60 pdr (the article is unclear, also the first time I've seen the 60 Pdr in the coast defence role), 2x 18 pdr, 2x155mm GPF (one of the 'Letter' Batteries), 8x3.7" AA, 12x40mm Bofors and a battery of 2 pdr AT guns, number of guns not given (8?). A peak number of personnel at 7,000 is also significantly larger than WITP suggests.

The Grand Campaign and Da Big Babes both rate the Horn Island Base Force as the RAAF Adv Base Force TOE (and as most other scenarios probably use one or the other of these as a base thats likely true of the majority of scenarios out there), but it really has both a larger RAAF element than this (53 revetments noted in the article, so facilities for at least 3 squadrons) and a significant coast defence element as well. Giving it an individual set-up rather than a standard TOE is probably the only way to capture its actual structure.
Buck Beach

RE: Horn Island Defences

Post by Buck Beach »

Good reading.

Buck
oldman45

RE: Horn Island Defences

Post by oldman45 »

Thats interesting, but I am not sure how to continually build up the base from 1941 to 1943. My guess would be to have it upgrade 3 times showing the increase in weapon systems.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”