Research Components

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

donkuchi19

Research Components

Post by donkuchi19 »

I've looked in many places and could never find a list of the components and their stats. I've started to compile them. (I didn't include research that led to only ground installations) This is only a list of components that can be installed on ships and bases. If you find any errors, please let me know and I will fix them and re-upload them.

This only includes up to R.O.S. and Legends. I don't have Shadows purchased yet.
donkuchi19

RE: Research Components

Post by donkuchi19 »

Here is the Weapons List (in excel format)

Attachments
Weapons Re..eadsheet.zip
(18.83 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

Saved for Energy Research Sheet (Hopefully will be done by the weekend)
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

Saved for Construction Research (Hopefully will be done by the weekend)
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

Nice work! How did you obtain these numbers?

Oh by the way, I figured out how to calculate the damage per second in the spreadsheet. In O3, you can put =I3/N3 to divide damage by fire rate. After that, doing =03/G3 will divide the DPS by the size to figure out which weapon is most space efficient.

After that there are also range, energy and speed considerations but I think these are secondary. Efficient weapons are nice, but if your reactors are powerful enough it doesn't really matter too much IMHO.
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

The numbers are all in the research tree chart. They are just spread out where you have to click on each individual item. I like having them in one document which is why I made it.

I considered putting in DPS and other stuff, but the way I have it formatted right now, the extra numbers would be on a separate page. I wanted to keep the info on one page for each type of weapon. I figured if anyone wanted to add that on their own, all the numbers are there and would be easy to do.
unclean

Post by unclean »

Hey, I figured out weapon DPS in this thread. It has DPS per size and all that.

Anyways nice thread, this is good info to have.
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

Having all those numbers in one place did help a lot. I'm not sure I would have gotten to it if you hadn't made the spreadsheet. :)

I started out by crunching the numbers on DPS, but then I realized that wasn't enough and added in DPS per space used and accounted for damage falloff. Thought you might want to have a look (apologies in advance for messing up the layout of your spreadsheet).

Anyway there's some extra analysis on sheet 2 and 3. I only cover beam weapons up to 300, but there's not much surprise. Titan beams are probably the best weapon in the game. Wave weapons are a close second and impact assault + tractors probably the third.

Most of the missiles and torpedoes look pretty meh. The Shaktur Firestorm is okay, while the Plasma Thunderbolt is the best of them all at 200-300 if they don't miss. At least that's how it looks on paper. If you don't care about capturing stuff, railguns and tractor will probably destroy most things early to mid game.

Edit: Hmm, it looks like that other thread may not have taken range into account, but also I didn't include the effect of armor. I'm not sure how to calculate that, and I figure if you've gotten the AI's shields down, you've probably won half the battle since they will start loosing DPS quickly. Anyway AI designs aren't very strong in general. It would be much cooler if you had to face ship designs uploaded by other players instead. :)
Attachments
WeaponRes..DPS2.zip
(29.2 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

If you look primarily at short ranges, the Titan Beam looks very good indeed. Combat in the late game can happen at increasingly longer ranges though and there are many other weapons that are superior to the Titan Beam outside of short range. If you extend your analysis to range 1000, the optimal choice becomes less clear. It's also dependent on who you are fighting when it comes to some of the more specialized weapons. The intention is that any of the late game weapons should be competitive if used appropriately in a ship design that considers their strengths and weaknesses and also the opponents you are likely to fight.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Design and Modding”