Why build when you can take?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Lucian

Why build when you can take?

Post by Lucian »

In my previous game as a pirate (age of shadows) I built and paid for all my smuggling freighters. In my current game, money is a bit tighter and I have taken to assembling my smuggler fleet by simply boarding and capturing whichever unfortunate independents happen to cross my path, even the ones that visit my own ports.

I'm wondering if there is a downside to this. Will the independent freighter captains get upset and refuse to visit my ports in the future? If so I haven't seen any indication of this yet. If there is no downside then why would you ever wish to build your own freighters as a pirate when its so much easier and cheaper to steal?
Erik Rutins

RE: Why build when you can take?

Post by Erik Rutins »

No downside - capturing and stealing is part of being a pirate. You can take whichever path you want.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Thanks for the clarification Eric.

I understand that capturing and stealing is part of being a pirate, it was also part of being a pirate historically, but back then if you made too big a nuisance of yourself, there were ramifications in the form of privateers and naval units out to get you. The more active you were as a pirate, the more everyone hated you and the more you were pursued.

Now this seems to work fine for empires, if I attack their ships, they hate me and will tend to attack, that seems fine. But the same does not seem to apply to independents, there are NO ramifications for attacking independents. That seems too easy in a strategy game. There should be some thought and weighing up of consequences when you decide to assemble your freighter fleet out of independents since you can save a lot of money by doing so, it shouldn't be a no brainer. Just my opinion.

The solution might be that if you make too big a nuisance of yourself, the independents begin to fund an increasing series of Attack missions against your holdings.

Awesome game by the way :)
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: Lucian

Thanks for the clarification Eric.

I understand that capturing and stealing is part of being a pirate, it was also part of being a pirate historically, but back then if you made too big a nuisance of yourself, there were ramifications in the form of privateers and naval units out to get you. The more active you were as a pirate, the more everyone hated you and the more you were pursued.

Now this seems to work fine for empires, if I attack their ships, they hate me and will tend to attack, that seems fine. But the same does not seem to apply to independents, there are NO ramifications for attacking independents. That seems too easy in a strategy game. There should be some thought and weighing up of consequences when you decide to assemble your freighter fleet out of independents since you can save a lot of money by doing so, it shouldn't be a no brainer. Just my opinion.

The solution might be that if you make too big a nuisance of yourself, the independents begin to fund an increasing series of Attack missions against your holdings.

Awesome game by the way :)

There should be ramifications. If not funding an attack as you suggest, at least find that independents stop visit you ports.
Bloodly

Post by Bloodly »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

No downside - capturing and stealing is part of being a pirate. You can take whichever path you want.
Provided you can stop the ships from randomly blowing up.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

I like the independently funded attack missions. All it would require would be an an anger meter and hooking into the mission system.

I'm wondering, do the independent freighters use race-file designs? Hmmmm....
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

Can destroying lots of independent freighters for loot as a pirate cause problems down the line. I wonder if destroying all the independent freighters in an area would slow the development of independent colonies.

I like the idea that there might be long term costs for the short term loot gain, but it seems like indie freighters respawn quick enough that it's not an issue.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”