So Is This Game Dead?

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Stwa

RE: So Is This Game Dead?

Post by Stwa »

Ya, I saw that thread a while back.

In today's world, dissemenating information is getting harder and harder to do. Birthers, 911 Truthers, the Kennedy assassination, fake moon landings, Mars rodents. It just is all getting too much to cope with. [:D]

But when I read the quote from Frank, in the thread that you linked, I thought to myself, "what a strange response". And so, I concluded that the post was basically fake. [:D]

It was the part about Matrix playtesting his "turned in" WW2 game prior to its release, that hung me up. [:D]

But, you never know, and hopefully I am just wrong.

So, I gotta ask, maybe you could send another e-mail to Frank. One per year is not too many is it? [:D]

Maybe I will set up a scenario file (and setup file) with WW2 type data, and try it with the current GOA game. [;)]
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

He had a WW2 game mentioned in the play-test message that was at the top of each forum until recently.

Not sure if I still have his email - I'll check - nope - lost it in a crash/upgrade over Xmas :(
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

So, is there a play-test message at the top of the Guns of August forum?

If this e-mail address for Frank still works, you can give it a try ... fhunter@telus.net

Maybe Frank will clue you in on the status of the WW2 game, and you can pass that info on to the rest of the forumites.

[:D]
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

There was a message for a while - it went about 2 weeks ago I think - that is the address I have tried, and yes, I'll pass anything on.

But it's not like we're regular buddies! :)
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work
But it's not like we're regular buddies! :)

Thank GOD. [:D]

So, I suppose there was no reply eh? Maybe the game is in BEEG SECRET mode right now. [:D]

And, no need for additional play testers? BTW, is the WW2 game, going to be ARMY/CORP level like GoA?

Anyway, I got a nice 1.31 version going. I think this was the last one I had working when I stopped playing sometime late 2009 or 2010.

Then, I got 1.34 going. I am checking out the Editor and the scen and setup files, to see if everything is ok or not.

SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

IIRC the WW2 game is a lower level than corps/army, but I dot' recall exactly. and no - no reply yet, so the address might not work any more :/
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

OK,

Thanks so much for trying. Perhaps you will hear from him soon.

But you know, even this game (GoA) doesn't have to present to the User an ARMY/CORP level game. It could present smaller echelons. Then the time scale or movment scale (area on map), would be changed to follow suit.

Also, it would be better, if he (Frank), could at least re-compile (re-create), the current GoA game. If for no other reason, there might come a time when a small update would be beneficial, without having to change out the UI.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I like the high level of GOA - I prefer commanding an army at a strategic level and planning the economy/resources/production of the war at least as much - even more so - as carrying out "manouvres" :)
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Hi,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Ya, I agree with you. But any game with this much stacking is gonna be mind boggling. I have played to completion several Schlieffen plans, and each game has turned out to be remarkably different than the one before it.

It is amazing how the "beeg" battles turn out to be different locations. The readiness factor can just be excruciating. Even if your attacks succeed, you are always vulnerable to counterattacks. The AI, is pretty nifty at encirlment too, which is the best part of the East front. (i.e. encirciling the largest part of the Russian Army that you can).

Frank Hunter need to make more that 2 games a decade. This system alone might be able to be used for some other periods. It's a shame it may not happen.

But, I have to admit, WWI is a great subject. Having so many participating countries at once is a real blast.

And this is one game where the economic stuff, is a lot of fun, based on how Frank set it up. Having to constantly prop-up Austria every strategic phase is a blast. [:)]
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Mods are fine - but I think the only things that can actually be modded are the graphics - you couldn't change the game mechanics to reflect 1939 political boundaries for example, or add in a new tech tree, etc.

Hey, I have been messin with this game all summer. Its been alot of fun. But I thought to myself, one way to deal with the borders, is to just not have them. To do that you would just paint the border graphics as totally transparent. The game would display the border graphics as is does now, but the borders would not be visible to the gamers.

That being said, I like the borders, but Frank (or whoever set them up), gomered them. They don't really line up with the dashed hexes very well. Especially the NE corner of each hex.

Also, I messed around with the 1.3X versions again. I must have done a certain amount of this in 2009. IMHO, the 1.3X versions attempt to make some signigicant changes to the game, and these changes weren't tested thouroughly, and I keep thinking that the best version for moi is 1.23, which still has a few bugs (like the Italian fort ratings). But since I always play solitaire, this version seems the best. I put together a script, which I can run which will modify the saved game file and correct the Italian forts. But even without this, this is hardly a beeg time issue.

I would like to find version 1.24, but I just can't seem to find it on-line anywhere, because it was a beta (not an official) patch.
Panama Red

Post by Panama Red »

It is a shame that Hunter has let this game just fade away without additional patches as he mentioned a while back.
siddious

Post by siddious »

Been lurking for a while now ,just waiting for the nod (the patch) but will not commit till i here of a move from Hunter.Its fustrating that what could be the best ww1 game being stuck in limbo like this ,I dont wait alone.
Symple

Post by Symple »

Still, it is a fun game.
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Yup, you are right, it is a fun game.

I finally got around to v 1.34, and my latest game was a Schlieffen plan.

It is late in the game, but I noticed that the Russian's do not attack anymore. And when I recon their stacks (what's left of them), there are no HQ units.

Also, note the minimap. There are several British units in Greece that just do not appear on the map. One Romanian unit that ended up in Hungary doesn't appear as well.

The game has been fun, but no Russian revolution so far, and it's September 1917.

I have manage to persuade Italy to stay out of the war, but America and Romania joined the Entente.

For some reason, I couldn't buy HQs for Bulgaria, so I trained down a few German Corps with a HQ. We captured the Romanian capital which stopped all their units from trying to move into Hungary.

You can buy artillery barages for Bulgaria, the only problem is, they don't have any artillery, and you can't build artillery either.

Attachments
Strategic..ber1917.jpg
Strategic..ber1917.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 670 times
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Yes it's some of those little things like the minors being able to waste scarce points on arty they can never buy that need tidying up.

IIRC there are no extra leaders for Romania & Bulgaria in the counter mix so they don't get to buy any - just the ones they start with
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Hi,

The Russian revolution came early 1918, and the game ended with a decisive victory. I can see some minor fixes making this game very tight.

But Frank hasn't shown up, so I guess this is it forever. [&:]

I would play this game before the one that doesn't allow stacking, and for Ageod, well, me thinks region games aren't always that great, and I have read you have alot of organizing to do like the first Ageod Civil War game?

I would critisize Frank or any other developer of games of this magnitude in the following way. Please do not embed graphics within the EXE file, where modders cannot make changes to them. And also, please put data into delimitted text files where users can make simple changes to them. Letting modders perfrom simple edits to the game might increase its longevity, and might create additional sales for the title.
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Yes it's some of those little things like the minors being able to waste scarce points on arty they can never buy that need tidying up.

IIRC there are no extra leaders for Romania & Bulgaria in the counter mix so they don't get to buy any - just the ones they start with

Yes, but me thinks as it relates to Bulgaria (and perhaps some of the other minors), Frank just didn't finish of the logic behind the National Status form. Thats all. For instance you can buy barrages and HQs, which is not necessary. And everything related to status and production is not displayed at all.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

perhaps you should send frank a pm - he does respond to those on occasion
fabfreri

Post by fabfreri »

HI!

Anyone can explain me how works the "disband" command?

I guess the unit disappears, but what about the men?
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Men go back to the pool - but I think only 1/2 the equipment does.

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”