The Speed of the game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Speedy2511

The Speed of the game

Post by Speedy2511 »

Hi all,

i have a question: is it normal, that it takes a long time until the empires (me and the AI) get their first colony? I'm playing the age of shadow as a normal empire and are 25 years in the game and have contact with five other empires, but we all have only one colony. Is this normal? How is the AI doing its job here? What are your opinions?

greetings from germany
nico
FerretStyle

RE: The Speed of the game

Post by FerretStyle »

Colony tech takes ages to research, so yeah I would say that's normal.

Best bet if you want to colonize early is to try to find abandoned colony ships for colonizing independent worlds (or any of your native planet types) or training troops transports to invade them.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Speedy2511

Hi all,

i have a question: is it normal, that it takes a long time until the empires (me and the AI) get their first colony? I'm playing the age of shadow as a normal empire and are 25 years in the game and have contact with five other empires, but we all have only one colony. Is this normal? How is the AI doing its job here? What are your opinions?

greetings from germany
nico

Or download my mod, where I made colonisation research extremely cheap.[;)]
TrooperCooper

Post by TrooperCooper »

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Can you tell me how you did that? I cant find a tech file or something like that. I'd love to have a setup where empires regularly colonize their own system completly first prior to going inter-stellar.

I'm sure your mod is great, but tbh, I am not a Mass Effect fan myself.[;)] Appreaciate your work though. :)
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: TrooperCooper

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Can you tell me how you did that? I cant find a tech file or something like that. I'd love to have a setup where empires regularly colonize their own system completly first prior to going inter-stellar.

I'm sure your mod is great, but tbh, I am not a Mass Effect fan myself.[;)] Appreaciate your work though. :)

My mod isn't particularity mass effect, as there are no humans or any other present mass effect race there[;)]

No there is no way to make prewarp colosation technology to be cheaper only ones which come after that (like desert or continental planet colonisation)
To make cheap after prewarp colonisation research, go to race folder, pick race file, find there ColonyConstructionSpeedFactor and replace it with 0.2
TrooperCooper

Post by TrooperCooper »

Meow, to bad. [:(] Thanks for the info though...
Plant

Post by Plant »

From my games as a pirate, it takes 10-15 years for their first colony. Certainly, the 20th year is a boom period for pirates as colonies are springing up like daisies, most with at least 4 colonies.

One colony from 25 years is very strange, did you change the tech settings?
Have you exchanged their galactic maps from them to make sure?
Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 »

Yes, i'm playing at the slowest research speed, maybe that is it, and it takes more time.

No, i don't exchanged the maps, because you see the number of colonies in the diplomacy screen

greetings from germany
nico
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

You could also skip colonization tech early (steal it later) and just go for troop transports. Find an independent colony, land some troops and instant colony.

It's not a friendly way to expand, but it does allow you to research something else early game like enhanced research or Open Trade Network.
Plant

Post by Plant »

well obviously, if you set tech speeds to their lowest, it should come as no suprise that it takes a long time for you and the AI to research colonisation tech. You ask if it is normal to take a long time, without telling others that you aren't playing at a normal tech level, so you have to wade through 5 uninformative posts.

For the slowest research speed, I would estimate that it would take 40-50 years to gain the first colony.
Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 »

Yeah, sorry for that.

Now there are 30 years in the game, and the one or the other race has two or three colonies, so everything is fine here i guess.

greetings from germany
nico
Azuran

Post by Azuran »

You can buy empire contact information from most pirate factions.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”