Sirian's Messages mod - Shadows expansion

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sirian

Sirian's Messages mod - Shadows expansion

Post by Sirian »

Hello again!

I changed most of the messages images in the game, but never got around to release the mod. The truth is, I simply forgot. With Shadows I added the one new image and thought, this time, I will share it. So here it is.

There are a few icons, namely those that represent money, that are somehow impossible to mod in a good way. This has to do with scaling issues in DW, where scaling is always done by a fixed number instead of computing the scaling factor needed (when the source file is now larger).

Installation: Extract contents into your Distant Worlds/images/ui/messages directory. The mod contains a directory named old with the old icons, but making a manual backup never hurts.

The mod is added to the post. Or you may follow the link in my sig.

Have fun!
Sirian
Attachments
Messagesv1.0.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 613 times
dostillevi

RE: Sirian's Messages mod - Shadows expansion

Post by dostillevi »

Nice. Added to the Shadows mod list.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Thx Sirian! These look owsome!

Which icons specificaly do you mean reg. the scaling factor issues etc.?
Joe
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

It was a "money.png". Either this one or the one in the /chrome directory, I can't remember anymore. But since I left this one and reverted the one in the /chrome dir, I suspect it the money.png image there.
TanC

Post by TanC »

Oh schweeeeeeeet!! Using them nao! [:D]
Ramrod851

Post by Ramrod851 »

Thank you very much for this + all your other mods !!

i actually watched a tutorial yesterday on how to create icons with transparency because i hate it when the Construction message with this ugly Hammer pops up, and today you're posting this mod. Awesome.

(will you expand your shipsets for Shadows ?)

ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Nice,again.
Buio

Post by Buio »

Looks great. Here are some shots of them in action.

Planetary Invasion Successful
http://abload.de/img/dws_001tguq2.png

Attack
http://abload.de/img/dws_002ksuvh.png

Construction Stalled
http://abload.de/img/dws_003bbu64.png
MizzouRah

Post by MizzouRah »

Thanks!
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Thanks for your replies!

And thanks for posting the pictures, Buio, it almost feels like home. :-)

@Ramrod851: Yes, I plan to do more shipsets for Shadows but I ran out of GSB shipsets. There is only one new shipset, the Outcasts, which were used for the World Destroyer. Someone pointed me to SPAZ, these ships look promising, but I "must" complete playing through SPAZ before thinking of doing anything else. And I fear, then I will have to program something similar to SPAZ...

Regards, Sirian.
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

I like the look of a lot of these but maybe something a bit more "sci-fi" for some of them like for the history, news and money, possibly the agents? Just my opinion, thanks for the work! [:)]
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

I can understand your desire for a more SciFi oriented icon set, AstroCat. When I made the icons, especially the "News" image gave me problems. I tried 3 or 4 different approaches (futuristic, modern, old) that all didn't quite convince me.

When designing my mods I thought about in which direction I want to go. There were two paths to chosse: One that was more "in character" where the icons were more scifi oriented, a path that I went with the components mod, and the other path that focused on "being easily recognizable". This path I went when doing the resources mod. In the end, I would always trade recognizability for scifi in-characterabilty.

So that why I went with an old school newspaper icon in the end. Because we are old school humans on earth where newspapers are made from paper and spies somewhat look like "Mr. Ano Nym from the Merkur supermarket" (where I borrowed the icon) So we do not have to *think* when we see an icon, we instictivly *know*.

Regards, Sirian
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

I get yeah, makes sense. I think for the messages I'm going to work up a few more sci-fi flavored ones but for the resources, at least the strategic ones I agree. It's all just what kind of flavor vs. function you want in your game. That's once of the reasons modding a game like this is fun. [:)]
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV

Return to “Design and Modding”