Hi All!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

buckaroo13

Hi All!

Post by buckaroo13 »

Hi guys,

It's been a Loong time since I've been in this part of the internet. I finally ponied up for a the Admiral Edition and am slowly dipping my toes into it's very deep waters. I was a long time ago WiTP player and actually finishing a full campaign, that took over a year, was (and probably still is) one of my greatest gaming achievements.

So what's the community opinion on the game? Are there any needed patches beyond the Automatic updater needed?

Is there any listing of all the differences between WiTP and the Admiral Edition?

Thanks all!
HexHead

RE: Hi All!

Post by HexHead »

May I have the privilege of extending a 'Welcome!'

The latest official 'stock' version is dated 21 Jan 2012.

There is a very popular, well maintained mod known simply as 'the Beta.' It is an improvement in small but helpful ways & some bigger 'backend' stuff, like better Allied flak, I think. The poster called michaelm is the big cheese - it's easy to find.

Never played the original, sorry.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

hi buckaroo13 & welcome back.

the latest official version of the game is v1.01.08r9.

the latest beta is v1.7.11.23k, available here:
tm.asp?m=3185062
many players prefer the beta, or ride 1 or 2 versions behind the latest beta.
note that the beta installs to a separate subdir, & uses a separate desktop shortcut - if you install it, your 'purchased' version is unaffected. betas are not available through the auto-updater, they are manually installed, quite easily. post#2 on the above-linked thread details the changes that have been made.

'community opinion' on AE is generally in the 'outrageously positive' category, you'll discover many improvements in the UI, especially for moving pilots around.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Hiya buckaroo13! Like the others said, extremely good game. Great forum community too, so welcome back.

Difference of opinion regarding the 'official' versus 'beta' patches here. I stick only to the official patches. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Wade into some of the scenarios and then try out a PBEM. AE is a welcome improvement on WiTP. You'll like it. In fact, I bet you try to fend off 'addiction-level' gameplay. Your success may vary. [;)]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

[:D]Welcome to HE**!!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: HexHead

The latest official 'stock' version is dated 21 Jan 2012.

There is a very popular, well maintained mod known simply as 'the Beta.' It is an improvement in small but helpful ways & some bigger 'backend' stuff, like better Allied flak, I think. The poster called michaelm is the big cheese - it's easy to find.

Not a mod, MichaelM is one of the last of the active dev team. Eventually the public beta will become an official update. Andy Mac is still active with AI updates as well, also yet in beta format. Expect those will also be part of the next official patch. The rest of the dev team drops in time to time. Some of them have formed a mod team: DBB. Some of those efforts have also gotten into official patches and I expect that there will be more contributions from that team to the next official patch as well.
Pax
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

Cool - thx for the lowdown.
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

Thanks for the welcome and info on the patches. I'll have to check out "The Beta".

I've already played the Coral Sea scenario. Winning handily as the US versus Japanese AI.
Got lucky in the Carrier engagement and sank both Zui and Sho while crippling the Yorktown.

Then in my hubris got Lex too close to Rabaul Bettys and took a couple of Torpedoes for my trouble.

I started the Grand Campaign against Japanese AI to see what is there. Seems like the map is bigger then before (Or my memory is off). I like the fact that I can switch from 1 day to 3 day turns on the fly.

I see everyone is still using the WiTP banners. I'll have to dig out my old one, I've got it here somewhere.
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

It's an excellent game, almost entirely unique.[:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Hey John, which circle of HE** are you in? I want to make sure to be on the lookout for you if I end up there.

Seriously, who's going to do the work of describing each circle of WitP-AE HE** and consigning the more well known forumites? I'm half Welsh and the other half is English (whatever that is), so I can't do it. Anyone out there with Italian heritage? It goes without saying that I am at least somewhat familiar with the Cocytus of WitP-AE.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

There is also a whole series of DeBabes alterations that will change the system a bit and give you a lot more toys (albeit small ones). There is also a map alteration which changes a few things (called an extension if I'm not mistaken) that changes a few features for the better. This is a great system once you get the hang of the full stock game.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Welcome back!
Seems like the map is bigger then before (Or my memory is off).

40nm/hex instead of 60. Still a bit large much better than WitP.
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I think I'll head over to the Opponent forum and see if I can find a Japanese player for a smaller Scenario. Would like to try something like Guadalcanal in pbem while I come to grips with the full game against the AI.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

buckaroo13- why don't you drop a line to AW1Steve? He likes these opportunities to work with newcomers on the smaller scenarios. He's a good opponent.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”