SeaBee Leaders

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Panjack

SeaBee Leaders

Post by Panjack »

Does the leader of a SeaBee unit affect the speed of construction? If so, does one want high ratings for "admin" and, perhaps, "inspiration"? Ability to work a slide rule quickly might also help.

I checked the topic "How to Choose Leaders" for info but didn't find anything.
tm.asp?m=2350193

Thanks.
Quixote

RE: SeaBee Leaders

Post by Quixote »

An engineer is an engineer for construction purposes, regardless of leadership. I've only run one small test on this, but there was no difference at all between engineers led by the best of the best, and engineers given the worst leaders in the game. You can save your PPs for something else on this one.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

The only thing I can think of where the leader would matter is when recovering from combat, like being bombed for example. And I suppose since non-combat squads contribute a small amount of AV, the Land skill might contribute but definitely not enough to be worth it. PPs are far too precious.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, this is one unit you do not want to be wasting PPs on. I pretty much only change HQ and larger combat units.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

Thanks for the feedback.

I ran a quick and dirty test using the 1000-mile scenario using the SeaBee unit that appears in Dutch Harbor to build up the air field from 4(3). I used two different leaders: the one with the lowest admin rating (35) and the one with the highest admin rating (59). Admin seems like it should be relevant to organizing construction projects. The leader with the highest admin rating also had better ratings across the board than the leader with the lowest admin rating.

I gave each leader two shots at building up the air field and 16 days to do it. After 16 turns the percent increase (toward the next size base) was:

Lowest rated: 25% and 25% (for the two attempts)
Highest rated: 20% and 23%.

In this not-very-well-designed test, the lower-rated leader accomplished more in 16 days than the higher-rated one. Little can be said about this test, given its shoddy nature, except that this test fails to provide evidence that putting a better leader in charge of a SeaBee unit gives better results...that is, what Quixote said.

But Lokasenna's suggestion that recovery from bombing might be faster for some leaders is interesting, but I'm pretty sure testing this, in any non-anecdotal way, would require lots of effort.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

likewise, target prep (Set Future Objective) seems to make no difference to engr's construction capability. The only advantage it gives is for Amph Assault into an enemy-owned base, where 100% prep will minimize losses & disruption.

But construction LCUs will only rarely be included in an initial assault.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Panjack

But Lokasenna's suggestion that recovery from bombing might be faster for some leaders is interesting, but I'm pretty sure testing this, in any non-anecdotal way, would require lots of effort.

When threads on leader stats come up, I've seen it said that the Admin skill affects recovery from fatigue and disruption (in addition to the other factors, like having enough Support in the hex, etc.). Since bombing can generate disruption at least...well, you know.

But why would you want to spend PPs to help disruption on non-combat units? As far as I'm aware, disruption doesn't affect base building much/at all.
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

I have this poor SeaBee unit laboring on a 0(0) base adding 1% to the base each turn. Meanwhile, bombers drop stuff on it every couple of turns and the SeaBee unit now has lots of disabled squads. I was hoping that something could be done to hurry up construction...say, some great leader. I have an emergency fund of PP set aside and was hoping spending some on good leadership would make a difference.

But that doesn't seem to be a solution, so it now seems.

But if one COULD speed up construction by replacing poor leaders with good leaders, it seems that this would be a good thing to do in some, but not all, circumstances.
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: Panjack

I have this poor SeaBee unit laboring on a 0(0) base adding 1% to the base each turn. Meanwhile, bombers drop stuff on it every couple of turns and the SeaBee unit now has lots of disabled squads. I was hoping that something could be done to hurry up construction...say, some great leader. I have an emergency fund of PP set aside and was hoping spending some on good leadership would make a difference.

But that doesn't seem to be a solution, so it now seems.

But if one COULD speed up construction by replacing poor leaders with good leaders, it seems that this would be a good thing to do in some, but not all, circumstances.

Well, now based on what you just described, a good leader could help. You mentioned getting bombed frequently, and disabled squads, that is one area that a good leader (with a good Admin skill) does help with, recovering from disablement. So while he won't help your engineers work directly, he could help improve your disablement, allowing more engineers to work.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)

Return to “The War Room”