So... Counterbattery fire.

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Perturabo

So... Counterbattery fire.

Post by Perturabo »

I have noticed that the AI almost never uses it.

In a corps vs corps engagement, all my artillery groups can fire at enemy troops with impunity. Additionally, any enemy guns that need to be silenced have to be manually targeted.
As a result, I could neutralize enemy artillery while the enemy isn't shooting any my guns.

Also, some artillery groups are misidentified as other types of units despite that they are bombarding at that moment. Additionally, bombardment isn't displayed as task, so there are units that are bombarding that need to be clicked on to learn that they are bombarding instead of simply checking which unit is bombarding by displaying tasks.
rfrizz

RE: So... Counterbattery fire.

Post by rfrizz »

Interesting. I have tried it, but I can't see that it works.

In your experience, how effective is counterbattery fire? How long after the bombardment ends does the enemy unit recover?
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi,

I asked for counterbattery options way back in early COTA days.........it did make the wishlist along with a boatload of other ideas from the user community. But now, with lots of checkboxes extant for orders/tasks surely it couldn't be too hard to add a "counterbattery only" checkbox for non-dedicated on call arty units.

Every once in a while I'll notice the AI perform counterbattery missions -- but not often. Effectiveness varies - whether manual or AI targeted - but I have seen it neutralize an enemy arty unitfor 2 or more hours. Only underscores the need/value in being able to dedicate counterbattery missions in my view.

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

OK consider a task option for CBF has now moved up the list for development.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Thanks!!

Rob.[:)]
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Good to hear it. Will it also increase the amount of AI use of counter-battery fire?
Rock64

Post by Rock64 »

I have noticed that my mortar platoons receive a good deal of CBF from the AI. I believe this may be from them deploying so close to the lines, but that is how the formation AI places them.
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Basically the AI shoots at what it actually "sees" (depending on FOW level) or suspecting within its units line of sight. Next likely measurement is threat level and unit value, when it selects enemy units for Arty treatment. This is not true counter battery fire though, which normally involves techniques of enemy Arty reconnaisance by flash and sound, aireal observation/spotting, as well as appropiate AI decision making procedures if it makes sense at a given situation to use Arty assets for CBF or front line support ect. I guess this is what Arjuna aims at for future CO revisions.
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Good to hear and a challenging task for sure. [8D]
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

Basically the AI shoots at what it actually "sees" (depending on FOW level) or suspecting within its units line of sight. Next likely measurement is threat level and unit value, when it selects enemy units for Arty treatment. This is not true counter battery fire though, which normally involves techniques of enemy Arty reconnaisance by flash and sound, aireal observation/spotting, as well as appropiate AI decision making procedures if it makes sense at a given situation to use Arty assets for CBF or front line support ect. I guess this is what Arjuna aims at for future CO revisions.
The main problem is that now the enemy AI and subordinate AI usually ignores located guns/bombarding units.

Return to “Command Ops Series”