Ask WPO Questions Here

War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922-1930, from the team that brought you War in the Pacific.

Moderator: Tankerace

Connfire

Ask WPO Questions Here

Post by Connfire »

Longtime WPO player - love this game, flaws and all. Am happy to see in the past few months some new players have taken it up. My understanding is the WPO developer no longer works for Matrix/Slitherine, so these forums are really the best place to ask WPO related questions. I'll do my best to answer - just please understand I do not work for Matrix, did not design the game, and as the past year has proven my availability fluctuates.

Ask away:
Von Weber

RE: Ask WPO Questions Here

Post by Von Weber »

Thank you Connfire! But please don't go anywhere[&o] I've got again some questions.
Create Barges and Pt Boats. How this staff can be created?
If allied sub doctrine is on does it mean that sub will not even try to attack jap's warship or it depends on commander's aggression level?
Radio transmissions. How they could be detected? For instance I've got base force on Guam or Wake island.How many hexes in radius from the island the transmission can be detected?
WPO/Field of Glory-2/TOAW
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

ORIGINAL: Von Weber

Thank you Connfire! But please don't go anywhere[&o] I've got again some questions.
Create Barges and Pt Boats. How this staff can be created?

The short answer is you can't. Understand WPO started out as a mod of the original War in the Pacific. It uses the same game engine. When they released WPO, it carried some elements of WiTP like the PT/Barge button, but they are permenantly disabled.
If allied sub doctrine is on does it mean that sub will not even try to attack jap's warship or it depends on commander's aggression level?

I don't think I've ever seen a game with the sub doctrine on. What it means is the commanders, Allied or Japanese, will prefer to attack warships rather then merchant ships. This may be historically accurate for the 1920s, but not very strategic. You'd think in a real war situation they'd quickly relax these rules in favor of attacking any ship the subs encounter, which is what will happen if the doctrine is off. The Agression Level of a commander will influence the odds of a sub attacking a ship, as well as the intensity (number of torpedoes, if the deck gun is used, etc). The commander's Naval Skill level will increase the odds of a successful attack, as well as evading ASW attacks.
Radio transmissions. How they could be detected? For instance I've got base force on Guam or Wake island.How many hexes in radius from the island the transmission can be detected?

You have no control over what transmissions are detected. Every turn you may click the SigInt button on the top row, which will give you a list of places where radio transmissions have been detected. Very often, the information is meaningless, but every now and then it can provide you with valuable intel - it all depends on how you interpret the info and what you do with it. SigInt represents the earliest attempts at triangulating radio signals
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Thanks again! Now all doubts have gone. I play now with both subdoctrines on vs human. US subs attack only transport now but time will show the way[;)]About transmissions again: capturing islands and installing bases there doesn't provide me the possibility that radio detection area will get wider.Radio detection is constant and random during all the game.Or if I capture Bonnin island it doesn't mean that I will receive more detection info from Japan comparing to the beginning of the game.
Question about minefields: when I've got a message that some of my MSW has widened the path through minefield,does it mean that passing through minefield by any type of ship will be totally safe?
Before the last one:If I have in the hexe CD gun mobile battery and the enemy ground unit and ships docked and unloading in port at the same hexe, when I start my bombardment by those CD guns will they hit the ships in the port? I know that some of the ships were sunk due to Japanese siege artillery bombardment of Port-Arthur during Russian-Japan war?
The last one came to my mind only in the eve. Chinese ground units all are in static mode except 4 ones and all the HQs. There can not be gained any benefits from HQ as they have no combat value. What should occur to defrost Chinese units. A sudden attack on them or in a time they will defrost itself. Cause Japanese has already captured Canton,Tsingtao and Wenchow with Foochow but nothing happen[:(]
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Thanks again! Now all doubts have gone. I play now with both subdoctrines on vs human. US subs attack only transport now but time will show the way[;)]

No problem. With the doctrine turned off, the subs will attack any target of opportunity - warship or otherwise. Mind you the attack is not automatic - there are variables such as detection level and commander aggressiveness which come into play.
About transmissions again: capturing islands and installing bases there doesn't provide me the possibility that radio detection area will get wider. Radio detection is constant and random during all the game. Or if I capture Bonnin island it doesn't mean that I will receive more detection info from Japan comparing to the beginning of the game.

The islands you hold, or do not hold, have no effect at all on radio detection in WPO.
Question about minefields: when I've got a message that some of my MSW has widened the path through minefield,does it mean that passing through minefield by any type of ship will be totally safe?

Not totally safe. But the hex will be safer. The only way of making it totally safe is sweeping every mine in the hex, which is possible but it may take multiple turns. Till then, there's always a chance you'll hit a mine, even if you laid the minefield.
Before the last one:If I have in the hexe CD gun mobile battery and the enemy ground unit and ships docked and unloading in port at the same hexe, when I start my bombardment by those CD guns will they hit the ships in the port? I know that some of the ships were sunk due to Japanese siege artillery bombardment of Port-Arthur during Russian-Japan war?

I think what you are asking is can land-based bombardment hit docked or disbanded naval ships. In real life, as you pointed out, yes, but in this game the answer is no. You can, however hit such ships, as well as take out aircraft, through naval bombardment. Of course if you capture the hex, that can be very bad for any enemy ships disbanded there.
The last one came to my mind only in the eve. Chinese ground units all are in static mode except 4 ones and all the HQs. There can not be gained any benefits from HQ as they have no combat value. What should occur to defrost Chinese units. A sudden attack on them or in a time they will defrost itself. Cause Japanese has already captured Canton,Tsingtao and Wenchow with Foochow but nothing happen[:(]

The China in the WPO era is in the midst of a civil war. The movable combat units represent the Nationalist Army, the rest are just individual warlords ruling various cities and hexes (as well as the Communists in Sian and Homan). In this era, they do not cooperate with each other, which is why they are "frozen" to the hex they occupy. When forced to retreat, they can be divided, and if memory serves (it's been awhile since I've fought as Allies with Chinese units) most or all of the divided units can then be moved.
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Thank you again Connfire! Your info is very valuable as I'm already at the tenth turn of the game as the Allied Commander. It helps me to avoid some mistakes in my operational planning.
Btw we've got both sub doctrine off but my sub attacked a Japan' CL.
Sub attack at 46,43
Japanese Ships
CL Tama, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD No.9
DD No.7
DD No. 28
Allied Ships
SS S-36
And how can I check the detection level of enemy's TF?
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

And how can I check the detection level of enemy's TF?

Detection Level is an in-game thing, effected by several variables including weather, experience, skill, day/night, TF type, etc. Also, the validity of the info you get of a detected TF's composition between turns is also effected by the level. You can't check an enemy TF's detection level.

Are you playing vs. the AI or in a PBEM?
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

In PBem, I thought it could be indicated by somehow so I can see it as in Wite.
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

In PBem, I thought it could be indicated by somehow so I can see it as in Wite.

I've never played WiTP-AE so I don't know how that works. When enemy TFs, aircraft, or coastwatchers have sighted my TFs I know I've been detected - I leave it up to my opponet to figure out exactly what kind of ships I have and how many. If a carrier-based plane or floatplane has detected you, and you don't know where it came from, knowing the range of the enemy aircraft can help you determine the probable radius of the enemy TF to give you a good idea where to attack (or run away). You can also read the Operation Reports after the turn, which will repeat all detections, both yours and the enemy's, as well as the detecting unit.
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Thanks a lot Connfire!
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Connfire may be you know:Will Wpo run under Windows 7 and 8? And what should be done to make it run? I've put this question already in Tech support question but still no answer.
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

I saw your question in the tech thread and answered there before I saw it here.

If you are playing a PBEM, have you considered posting in the AAR section?
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

If you are playing a PBEM, have you considered posting in the AAR section?
Yes but I should translate and edit it first, unfortunately I have no much time, but may be.....
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

I just usually copy the Combat Reports onto a Word Document - you can find them as txt files (MS Notebook) under the Save folder in WPO. Other significant events, such as detections and aircraft hitting subs with ASW, can be found in the Operation Reports in the same folder. Ships sinking after combat is not denoted anywhere except the Ships Sunk section in the game, which can get quite long. If there is a major sea battle sometimes I'll keep a piece of paper handy and scribble the ships which sink afterward so I can keep track of them - very high tech.

The screenshots are just screen captures (Function key + Print Screen) that I save as a jpg under MS Paint.

At this point I'm so far behind I could probably not do another WPO turn for a year, and still make regular AAR posts. Always good to have at least one active AAR going in the forums. You'll note the "is this game dead?" questions started after I stopped posting my AAR for a number of months. Hardly a day goes by where I don't do at least one WPO turn, and I'm pretty sure there are additional WPO PBEM games going on out there, too.
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Yes you are right. But I Like to read AArs with maps in it, it can give a strategical view to the reader. You may put your own comments then and add statistics.In this case any AAR appear to be more readable. Here I post some of my pics:Image
And one stupid question more. I copied all Kirk´'s graphical models and replaced the original. Now during the battle system takes photos from wrong, transparent folder and the Jap ships appear so ugly looking at the pink background on the screen.For screenshotsmaking I have to put original folder back. Sure, need to ask Kirk first but may be you know.[8D]
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

The screenshots look sharp - its been quite awhile since I've seen someone do that in WPO.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your problem right, but it sounds like you have two sets of graphic folders in your WPO build, the stock and Kirk's sets. There are 4 important folders, mine read AlliedShip_Back, AlliedShip_Transp, JapShip_Back, and JapShipShills_Transp (though I think in stock the last folder is called JapShip_Transp). The "Back" files are what you see when you click the ship between turns, it should have a sea and sky background. The Transp files should have pink backgrounds, this is what you see during naval combat. The folders you want to use should have those exact names. If you want to archive the stock art, that's fine, but change the folder names. Or better yet, just create a folder called Old Art or something, move the 4 old folders there, and move the new folder anywhere but in your Art folder.

If that doesn't work, I'd literally take the old Art folder out, put it somewhere else in your system, and replace it in its entirety with Kirk's Art file.
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

My problem looks like this
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Yikes, I can see how that can be distracting. My most immediate answer is to try the solution in the last sentence in my last post. Or else wait for Kirk to answer, which I have a feeling will be soon...
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Thanks again, I try to ask Kirk though.
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

Just wondering about how ground units movement works. I have 3 units in one hex with enemy unit. I put two of them in defensive state, the 3rd one is set to move back to a free hex where there are no enemies. I check next turn but no distance traveled. There was no attack in this hex made by an enemy but a few days has passed and still it at home.[:(]Is it a bug or flaw?

Return to “War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930”