Tax Amount Not Matching Up

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

MartialDoctor

Tax Amount Not Matching Up

Post by MartialDoctor »

Something odd is occurring here. I have my tax rate set to 49%, with the planet info stating I get 21K from said taxes.

However, my actual tax income is only 14K. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments
EconomyConfusion1.jpg
EconomyConfusion1.jpg (479.25 KiB) Viewed 129 times
MartialDoctor

RE: Tax Amount Not Matching Up

Post by MartialDoctor »

Here's the actual amount.

Attachments
EconomyConfusion2.jpg
EconomyConfusion2.jpg (480.32 KiB) Viewed 129 times
Raap

Post by Raap »

Not sure...What was it at the start of the next year? Might be possible the taxes were changed this year( i.e. made higher), but that the budget tax income reflects last year's predicted taxes.
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

If you look at the date, you'll see it's the same year.

My guess is it could be a problem with different versions. The save game was from 1.9.0.2 but I loaded it up in 1.9.0.4.

When I started a new game, I didn't have the same problem.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: MartialDoctor

If you look at the date, you'll see it's the same year.

My guess is it could be a problem with different versions. The save game was from 1.9.0.2 but I loaded it up in 1.9.0.4.

When I started a new game, I didn't have the same problem.
With the update 1.9.0.3, Elliot corrected a bug concerning colony upkeep costs that was not
calculating correctly. I'm willing to bet this was the issue you've experienced concerning
the tax calculations.

It's always best to start a new game whenever an update is applied. There could always be things
under the cover of the update that will detrimentally affect a previous versions savegame.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

Ok, well I did start a new game and it seems to have occurred again. So, it seems to be a bug.

Save game uploaded: Economy not matching up.dwg
Florestan

Post by Florestan »

The reason is in fact quite simple. This is not a bug. it is the private sector revenue, as you can see on your screenshots. 53 from home, 3 from the second planet, total private sector revenue displayed, 56.
Easy to miss.
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

ORIGINAL: Florestan

The reason is in fact quite simple. This is not a bug. it is the private sector revenue, as you can see on your screenshots. 53 from home, 3 from the second planet, total private sector revenue displayed, 56.
Easy to miss.

Huh?

I'm not talking about private sector revenue. I'm talking about state revenue...
Florestan

Post by Florestan »

How, very sorry about the fist edition of this post. It seems I got a little carried away and very wrong, and I apologize, hoping nobody read it…
I missed your point on my previous post, but I think I know what the problem is.
You can read it just next to the 21K of the first screen “84% compliance” 84%x21= 17,64. I suppose it is rounded down in the screen summary.
I suppose that taxes that high urge a lot of people to hide their earnings… That said, I'm not sure what purpose it serves in the game, as I had not paid attention till now.
Plant

Post by Plant »

The 21K already includes the 84% complaince.

53K GDP x 49% tax x 84% complaince = 21.8k
Plant

Post by Plant »

I have this bug as well.
From 32k to 19k.
Will upload as under "tax revenue bug".
421 IP Address Blocked...strange...ah, i forgot to zip it, uploaded now
solops

Post by solops »

Obviously this must be due to tax refunds. I suggest your empire go to a flat tax with no deductions or refunds. That should get rid of the messy bookkeeping, though a lot of accountants and lobbyists will be out of work.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

Strangely, this was not addressed in the latest update?
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

ORIGINAL: solops

Obviously this must be due to tax refunds. I suggest your empire go to a flat tax with no deductions or refunds. That should get rid of the messy bookkeeping, though a lot of accountants and lobbyists will be out of work.

But won't your GDP go down if you fire all those lobbyists and accountants? ;)
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We are investigating, thanks for the reports.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi MartialDoctor

This is not a bug, but is rather due to your smaller colonies actually costing you upkeep, thus reducing your overall tax revenue.

When colonies have low populations (especially under 100 million), their tax income cannot even cover the colony maintenance costs (approx 2-3K for small colonies).

Thanks
Elliot
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

But that does not make sense the way things are displayed? The colony upkeep is invisible, and it is not clear who pays the colony upkeep anyways. The state or the privates?

Is upkeep for colonies included in the revenue, apart form revenue not being negative?

To keep this functionality, it would be correct to show colony revenue with "income - upkeep", and taxing the revenue. Let the revenue be negative if there is not enough income to balance upkeep, and sum these negative values and add as "Colony subsidiaries" or something in the empire expenses list. That way the "poor" colonies are visible and their upkeep traceable.

The upkeep would still not be visible, but at least the number should be correct. Compared to today it would probably up tax values for most non-mature empires, and this could have effects for the private economy.

Plant

Post by Plant »

Thank you.

You now lose 4k instead of 1k for each new colony.
Surely the cost of a colony should be displayed more readily?
It isn't under display under the Revenue section in the table in the Colonies Screen, but the losses are included under Colony Tax Revenue in the Empire Summary.
Very confusing.
Instead, once you know this information, you have to select each colony and look under Tax, which is very unintuitive, and is unknown money loss till you know this.

Return to “Tech Support”