Extended range tractor beam useless

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Florestan

Extended range tractor beam useless

Post by Florestan »

Here are some of the characteristics of this weapon:
Power 14
Range 480
Power loss 4 per 100 distance

the range is the only real advantage of this tractor beam over the high power tractor beam.
However, it seems the practical range of extended beam is 399 if I correctly understand the power loss of the high power one. Its power is 14 from 0 to 99 distance, then 10 below 199, 6 below 299, 2 below 399, then -2… If the loss is not a discrete function, then the maximum range is 450, with a very weak power. Unless the effective power has some strong randomization, this weapon is useless past 300 or 400. In any case the high power version is the only viable option.
But this is even far worse For the gravitic stretching and the intense gravitic stretching. The values are roughly the same, with a theoric range of 600 and 720 respectively, which are not practical ranges.
I did not really test it in game, but I've often seen repaired derelict ships fire long tractor beams with no effect even on small targets, unless the target is quite close. I suppose this explains that. Maybe it would be a good idea to check the others weapons as well.

Return to “Tech Support”