Colonizing a planet with a pirate base

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

WCG

Colonizing a planet with a pirate base

Post by WCG »

OK, I'm a complete newbie with another newbie question. For my first game, I'm playing an empire in the pre-warp era, so the pirates are very strong. But my question is more about the mechanics involved here.

There's a human independent planet, and I'm human, so they'd likely accept a colonization ship (not that I've researched colonization yet, but I'm getting there). However, the pirates are building a hidden base there, and it's almost completed.

Once they have a base on the planet, do I have to invade the planet and destroy the base, or can I still send a colony ship there? Or do I have to do both?

I'm just not sure how this works. The pirates control the planet, apparently (at least 50%, or they couldn't build a base there, right?). And yeah, I'm far too weak to fight pirates right now, anyway. But in general, does their having a hidden base on a planet mean that I have to assault the planet, rather than colonize it?

And if I do that, will I have to fight the pirates, any human troops, and the civilian population, too? How does that work when an independent world has a pirate base?

Thanks,

Bill
Bingeling

RE: Colonizing a planet with a pirate base

Post by Bingeling »

I am not quite sure, but I think you can colonize it. You may inherit the pirate base, though. If you invade, I think the base disappears.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Never colonized an independent with a pirate base but have invaded one and taken control of the planet and there has been a pirate base there that I did not notice on first looking at the planet. Destroyed it with offloading the troops from a transport and attacking it on the facilities tab via F2.

Darkspire
WCG

Post by WCG »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Never colonized an independent with a pirate base but have invaded one and taken control of the planet and there has been a pirate base there that I did not notice on first looking at the planet. Destroyed it with offloading the troops from a transport and attacking it on the facilities tab via F2.

OK, that seems to imply that I can colonize it as usual, then. I'll try that,... assuming I survive that long in this game. [:)]

Thanks for the replies!
WCG

Post by WCG »

I successfully colonized the planet, then I unloaded troops. But I still couldn't figure out how to get them to attack the pirate base. (But I never use the F-keys, and I didn't remember your suggestion about using F2.)

Luckily, after a short while the AI suggested an attack, so I just approved it.

Thanks for the help!

Bill
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: WCG

I successfully colonized the planet, then I unloaded troops. But I still couldn't figure out how to get them to attack the pirate base. (But I never use the F-keys, and I didn't remember your suggestion about using F2.)

Luckily, after a short while the AI suggested an attack, so I just approved it.

Thanks for the help!

Bill

If it happens in future, go to the colonies screen (F2) and select the facilities tab, you can attack from there.

Darkspire

Return to “The War Room”