Do civilians retrofit yet?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Litcube

Do civilians retrofit yet?

Post by Litcube »

I ask this same question whenever a new expansion comes out:

Do civilians retrofit to newer bases and ship designs yet?
Spacecadet

RE: Do civilians retrofit yet?

Post by Spacecadet »

Absolutely.

At times, maybe a bit too well (Spaceport backups) [:D]
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Litcube

Post by Litcube »

Really? So your mining bases will be retrofited?
Tiberiumkyle

Post by Tiberiumkyle »

They retrofit just fine in my games. They aren't as quick about it as I am, but they do get around to it quickly enough I don't worry about it, and focus my attention elsewhere.
In your forums, lurking about!
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Yes, bases that are not in orbit around planets will now retrofit as of Shadows.
Litcube

Post by Litcube »

Wow. It took up to Shadows to fix this issue. Amazing.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Upon reaching warp bubble technology, the first ship of my empire to travel faster than light was... a civilian mining ship! They upgraded faster than I did!

Curse you! Stealing all the glory from my military!
TrooperCooper

Post by TrooperCooper »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Upon reaching warp bubble technology, the first ship of my empire to travel faster than light was... a civilian mining ship! They upgraded faster than I did!

Curse you! Stealing all the glory from my military!

For me its usually a constructor. They are just so much better than tiny explorers early on. :-)
Constantine XI

Post by Constantine XI »

Seems to happen fairly quickly in my experience. I am trying to be cautious about too many upgrades because I imagine the retrofit costs could be a drain on the private sector, and also the times needed to do it. I try to save my retrofits for major upgrades, rather than small minor upgrades of a single system, unless that single system is something really critical like a warp bubble.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Litcube

Wow. It took up to Shadows to fix this issue. Amazing.

It wasn't really intended for certain Bases to upgrade, so it wasn't really a bug/issue, it was as designed.

The State is building all these, then they turn them over to the Private sector to run/maintain.
At this point the Base is/was kind of in limbo - both the State and Private had some control over it.

Retrofitting was added in Shadows due to continued requests for this feature.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

It is a rather ugly hack, since mining station can magically create new components by themselves, while construction requires a correct type of plant to do the work.

The current implementation is a decent way to appease player complaints, while avoiding the complex task of making a proper implementation where a constructor is needed.

But why make a consistent world, if adding an ugly fix can stop some complaints.
Plant

Post by Plant »

A mining station able to retrofit itself is an ugly hack and makes it an inconsistent universe? You might as say that the civilisation's entire economic sytem is an ugly and inconsistent fix.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Indeed it kills the non abstracted approach the DW economy has compared to all others on the market.What should happen is small private construction ships should do that job.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Bases at a colony is retrofitted by the colony's construction yard. Ships are retrofitted by a spaceport's construction yard. Have you noticed how your early spaceport retrofit has to wait while you build constructors/research stations? Mines don't have that problem, because they can something the spaceport can not - retrofit itself. It is a hack to fix "mines can't retrofit" without making massive changes to make it fit the normal picture.

So, construction ships can't do it, since the AI can't handle that. And them retrofitting themselves creates a mess in the resource transport, so lets help that by delivering a bunch of stores with every new mine.

In my view it is an ugly fix to a problem I never had. If pirates did not deconstruct my old mine so that I could buy a shiny new one, I could scrap it myself to make room. And if they did not destroy it, why bother retrofit anyways?

Adding a host of new freighters to supply them (once the initial store is out), probably have a part in large game save times being very long, too. Planets now have gone from 3 to 20 docking bays for a reason.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”