D-Day game wanted

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Greyshaft

D-Day game wanted

Post by Greyshaft »

I've been reading a few books on D-Day lately and I'd be interested in finding a computer game that does justice to the event. Prefer one that allows a complete campaign ie all 5 beaches simultaneously with ability to move followup waves from one beach to another rather than a tactical battle here and there.

Any ideas?
/Greyshaft
shunwick

RE: D-Day game wanted

Post by shunwick »

TOAW III?

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Battles in Normandy perhaps?

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Fortress_Europa
Fortress Europa recreates the Allied campaign in Western Europe from D-Day to March 1945. The Allied player must select an invasion site and make a successful landing, breakout of the beachhead, drive across France and push deep into Germany. The German player must prevent the Allied Invasion or else conduct and orderly withdrawal across France, constantly delaying the Allies, and then counter attacking in the winter.

Fortress Europa is the successor to Avalon Hill’s highly acclaimed Russian Campaign...The basic game is 37 turns long, but several scenarios are provided for those wishing a shorter game. In addition, Sudden Death Victory Conditions are included which shorten the basic game ...
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

TOAW III?

Best wishes,
Steve

+1

The War in the West, the upcoming WitE add on is far away from release. Victor Reykersz (Vic) awesome game Decisive Campaigns has not yet a "West campaign" that I'm aware of...matter of fact IMHO I hold Decisive Campaign higher than TOAW ... but that's a matter of personal taste. So yeah most comprehensive campaign would be TOAW.
Ofcourse you could always follow Slaaks advice and go for Vassal, then you'd have to battle him... now that would be entertaining [:D]
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Fortress Europa is a boardgame and therefore disqualified from consideration (although I have fond memories of playing it in my youth). I think Vassal is a great system but does not fit my lifestyle which sometimes allows 12hrs straight of gaming followed by a three week period of nothing.

BIN is probably the best answer. I'll read some reviews and consider it.
/Greyshaft
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Spent many a hour years ago playing that little game. The Memories.[;)] Try HPS Panzer Campaign Normandy 44. The only one I know of that may be what you want.
ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Fortress_Europa
Fortress Europa recreates the Allied campaign in Western Europe from D-Day to March 1945. The Allied player must select an invasion site and make a successful landing, breakout of the beachhead, drive across France and push deep into Germany. The German player must prevent the Allied Invasion or else conduct and orderly withdrawal across France, constantly delaying the Allies, and then counter attacking in the winter.

Fortress Europa is the successor to Avalon Hill’s highly acclaimed Russian Campaign...The basic game is 37 turns long, but several scenarios are provided for those wishing a shorter game. In addition, Sudden Death Victory Conditions are included which shorten the basic game ...
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Just remembered that BIN has a download that extends the campaign all the way out until late Aug 44. If my memory doesn't fell me.
ORIGINAL: Neilster

Battles in Normandy perhaps?

Cheers, Neilster
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

It's an old dos game called "D-Day: The Beginning of the End" you won't find any better or more detailed than that game because you not only play the operational strategy game you also play ever tactical battle you create from your strategy. Takes about a million hours to play but it's bigger than any other game out there. It's like that old drag net austin (never could spell it) game by Avalon Hill that had like four huge maps and 5000 counters. Bout the same in this game.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

It's an old dos game called "D-Day: The Beginning of the End" you won't find any better or more detailed than that game because you not only play the operational strategy game you also play ever tactical battle you create from your strategy. Takes about a million hours to play but it's bigger than any other game out there. It's like that old drag net austin (never could spell it) game by Avalon Hill that had like four huge maps and 5000 counters. Bout the same in this game.

The Longest Day ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

BTW Close Combat 5 had several Normandy landing scenarios and the whole Contentin (SP ??) Peninsula Campaign. It was fun playing that.

Ron Swanson
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

It's like that old drag net austin (never could spell it) game by Avalon Hill that had like four huge maps and 5000 counters. Bout the same in this game.

Drang nach Osten/Fire in the East (DNO), GDW 1973/1984.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

If you can brain work DOSbox to get it running here is the link for D-Day: The Beginning Of The End
There is a free download on there, it is towards the bottom of the download page, max of two downloads per day.

Darkspire
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

The Longest Day ?

http://www.old-games.com/download/5189/ ... ginning-of
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Tried "D-Day: The Beginning of the End" once but the strategic squares seemed too false and the tactical battles fought out with the same effects as the sister game "Blue and Grey" that covered the Civil War so the game didn't pass my personal reality test. I'm glad it worked for others but it's not the answer for me. It's either Battles in Nrmandy or HPS Panzer Campaign Normandy 44. The jury is deliberating ...
/Greyshaft
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

The Longest Day ?

http://www.old-games.com/download/5189/ ... ginning-of

There seems to be an echo round here [:D] I just posted that link!

Darkspire
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Ron Swanson
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Have this one on the table and being played now, a real Gem. The Battle for Normandy(GMT) is a good one. But have a soft spot in my heart for this one.

No, I mean this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5651/the-longest-day

ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

BiN's a nice game, but do keep in mind that its combat system isn't all that flexible because it's mostly based on die rolls. If you get poor rolls, you're really not going anywhere, without anything you can do about it. In the original BiN scenario, driving the Allies back into the sea near Caen isn't all that difficult over time, so in the On to Paris user created scenario the Allies were giving strong naval artillery to balance that.

The outcome of the battle is essentially determined by the speed at which the Allies can grind the Germans into a pulp. BiN doesn't have refit repair (introduced in Battles in Italy) so units only have the steps they start with or the steps they get from reinforcements, they don't have a chance to gain steps when resting.

The BiN games I played were usually not all that dynamic due to the nature of the fighting, and I sometimes felt like I couldn't really control the outcome of the battle as so much depended on the rolls of the opponent or my own rolls. At least turns don't take too much time.

I don't own the PzC title, but based on AAR's it does seem that if the Allies are not immediately successful in the opening stages, the Germans will gain an ahistorical amount of strength through the percentage based replacement system, making Allied victory unlikely, which is more or less a potential problem by default when you have lots of turns and a loss recovery system based on a fixed percentage per turn instead of actual replacements.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Probably HPS Panzer Campaign Normandy will come closest to fitting your needs. Yes, the Germans get strong but if you are patient enough as the Allies you can wear them down. Just have to keep up the pressure and try not to take excessive casualties of your own. There isn't a demo of this game but you can find a demo of the engine at JTS with the Panzer Campaign Mius. That way you can see if the engine will suit you.

Return to “General Discussion”