Bettys, Torpedos, size 3 AFs...

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

morejeffs

Bettys, Torpedos, size 3 AFs...

Post by morejeffs »

Can Bettys and Nells use torps from a level 3 airfield (actually even if they should not,
I just got nailed by some Betty torps from a level 3 airfield (and it is level 3 for sure as the IJN just
took over that base 3 days ago)..
that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Chickenboy

RE: Bettys, Torpedos, size 3 AFs...

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: morejeffs

Can Bettys and Nells use torps from a level 3 airfield (actually even if they should not,
I just got nailed by some Betty torps from a level 3 airfield (and it is level 3 for sure as the IJN just
took over that base 3 days ago)..

I believe they can, provided that a supplied Air HQ (with torpedo device) is present.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Is there a reason why they shouldn't use them, if an air HQ with the correct supply etc is present?
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

I believe they can, provided that a supplied Air HQ (with torpedo device) is present.

and we have a winner!

betty is a twin/e so a level 3af is plenty to fly strikes and the torps come form the HQ.

damnnit. "and then the bettys came"

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Is it even necessary for the airfield to be level 3? My understanding was just that there were penalties for using a smaller than necessary airfield, although the penalties seem to include using the airframe's reduced load rather than normal load - which would mean no torpedoes.

The manual says that an airfield of size 4+(load/6500) is required for level bombers (and Netties are MB-class), while light bombers require a starting size of 2... Since a Netty's load is less than 6500, according to the manual it would require a Level 4 airfield. Were there patch notes that changed this? I'm fairly certain I've operated Netties out of places like Saumlaki and Babar before the airfields were of "appropriate" size.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I've attacked with Netties using torpedoes from a size three and I'm pretty certain a size two looking at my air HQ notes....

According to info posted years ago from MichealM and also saved in my notes---

Torpedo Ordnance

Plus you need the supply available at the base:
for AF 4+, you 2 times (or 1 time with an air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 3, you 5 times (or 1 time with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 2, you 6 times (or 2 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 1, you 7 times (or 3 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply

You need a supply of torpedoes PLUS the supply requirements listed.
One without the other means can't use torpedoes.
BFs only supply the torpedoes. If no HQ, then you need to use the higher supply rates.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

That's handy info. Must save for later.
perkinh

Post by perkinh »

SuluSea, you are wellspring of useful information. I have wondered why my Betties sometimes would not fly with torps, even though a HQ ( with torps) was present, and it was short range. Probably not enough supply at the base.
Someday you need to print your notes in book form, i have been enlightened by your posts for a while, and i thank you. Now print the book!
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Did I understand you right Sulu in that a torpedo mission can be flown if there are "X" number of supplies past the minimum such that there is no HQ needed??? Or am I reading too much into this... sorry for the confusion. Hal
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Did I understand you right Sulu in that a torpedo mission can be flown if there are "X" number of supplies past the minimum such that there is no HQ needed??? Or am I reading too much into this... sorry for the confusion. Hal

Sorry for the confusion.

In stock you'll need an air HQ/or HQ with the ability to support torpedoes for instance a naval command HQ.

I don't recall any Japanese base force that have the option to supply torpedoes however MichealM gave us the ability to add the device to base forces TOE using the editor.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Ohhh... JNAFs with Torps! Japanese wet dream! [&o][&o][&o]
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

OK, guys I am guilty ... I do have Air HQ there. [;)]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

NOW you tell me!!!!!
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

I remember the old WITP days, when the answer was that you needed a size-4 AB or larger to launch torps. No Air HQ though.

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I remember the old WITP days, when the answer was that you needed a size-4 AB or larger to launch torps. No Air HQ though.

Still the case for Allied planes. Except I think Cats will carry torpedoes at smaller bases.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

I've attacked with Netties using torpedoes from a size three and I'm pretty certain a size two looking at my air HQ notes....

According to info posted years ago from MichealM and also saved in my notes---

Torpedo Ordnance

for AF 4+, you 2 times (or 1 time with an air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 3, you 5 times (or 1 time with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 2, you 6 times (or 2 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply
for AF 1, you 7 times (or 3 times with a air/command hq present) base's required supply

You need a supply of torpedoes PLUS the supply requirements listed.
One without the other means can't use torpedoes.
BFs only supply the torpedoes. If no HQ, then you need to use the higher supply rates.

Just because the debate resurfaced in the general discussion, I made some changes to michael´s OP to sort it out.
(I think it was from a time when BFs were still considered to carry torp supply, no idea about the AF1 thing...)

From my post there, confirmed partly by tests done by Quixote:
1) BFs do not supply torps on their own. This means, you need to have an air HQ in range to supply them, else it will be a bombing run independent of the other criteria met.
2) AF1 does not allow for offensive missions, you need at least AF2 for that.

---------------------------------

Torpedo Ordnance

for AF 3+: a air/command hq present and 1 time base's required supply
for AF 2: a air/command hq present and 2 times base's required supply

You need a supply of torpedoes (means: an air HQ with torpedo ordnance in range) PLUS the supply requirements listed.

-------------------------

There is still the open question if he ran his tests with air HQ at base or in command radius, if his test where run within command radius the above should be valid.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Here's the thread where the info originated.. Torpedo Ordnance.

Hope it helps....

I've never been able to attack from a size one base either, not to muddy the waters too much but I believe the first set of numbers come into play..

for AF 4+, you 2 times base's required supply
for AF 3, you 5 times base's required supply
for AF 2, you 6 times base's required supply

...if a modder uses the editor to allow base forces to supply torpedoes. As far as modding the same might be true for size one airbases although it's just a guess.[:)]
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Yes I think you are correct re: modded BF. Thanks for the link!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Here's the thread where the info originated.. Torpedo Ordnance.

Hope it helps....

I've never been able to attack from a size one base either, not to muddy the waters too much but I believe the first set of numbers come into play..

for AF 4+, you 2 times base's required supply
for AF 3, you 5 times base's required supply
for AF 2, you 6 times base's required supply

...if a modder uses the editor to allow base forces to supply torpedoes. As far as modding the same might be true for size one airbases although it's just a guess.[:)]
I don't think so. The unit type would still be engineer rather than HQ. And the code looks at base size for some things, so make a particular base start as a size 2 airfield, sure. But you can not use the editor to say 'let size 1 airfields support offensive attacks'. The scenario files don't have any such info.

Return to “The War Room”