Planet and Ship Names?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

AstroCat

Planet and Ship Names?

Post by AstroCat »

Quick questions...

Planet Names:
I know the star/system names come from the systems.txt file. And I see usually it names the planets the same name as the star/system numbered, like Alpha 1 Alpha 2, but sometimes there are unique planet names thrown in like Iliebcyn or Owyyveaze. Where do those names come from (is there a file?) and why do some get unique names?

Ship Names:
If you don't fill in the shipNames.txt with your own names where are the ship names generated? Is there a file or is it hard coded?

Thanks.
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Fishers of Men

RE: Planet and Ship Names?

Post by Fishers of Men »

The default naming method starts from the designs.txt file in the DW root. Each race is assigned a series of "family" names for each hull type(ex.destroyer class name would be Sullivan). Each destroyer that is built for your empire has a ship name that is in numeric sequence(Sullivan1, Sullivan2, etc.). There are not individually named ships in the default for your empire. I believe all those abandoned and damaged ships that are discovered in the galaxy have names that are hard coded. I downloaded a modded ShipNames.txt file and placed it in the Customization folder to assign names to each ship in my empire.
Old............but very fast

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”