Interactive DAR

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Mad Russian

Interactive DAR

Post by Mad Russian »

I'm going on vacation next week. When I get back we will start an interactive DAR. For those of you that don't know what a DAR is, it's a During Action Report (DAR). We will discuss the action as it happens.

The interactive part is you guys will give me the orders you want, as the Task Force Commander, and I will execute your orders.

We won't be doing one of the scenarios from the game. It will not have playtested by me or anyone else. With that in mind there are a couple of things that I need to know to set this up.

What size force do you want to have as our force?

Do you want an attack/defend or an ME (Meeting Engagement)?

You want our force to be WG, UK, US or USSR?

We should be ready to start this on or about the 27th of this month.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
CapnDarwin

RE: Interactive DAR

Post by CapnDarwin »

Awesome idea. Will be very cool to watch.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Nice idea.

I prefer a clasic scen, Soviets using their silk gloves and good manners attacking dirty capitalist pigs that are totally rude and dont want accept communism... and if field commander fails we allways can send him to a sunny holiday camp in Siberia
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

Would like to see US in a ME. size of force, not sure, but a mix of infantry, armor, arty, etc. would be awesom. Hope you will be posting screenshots for us to follow.
TC ET1(SS)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

@ xnavytc - I think his plan is to talk about the orders and results and do screen shots showing the action and his planning. The plan is to start it near the end of the month.

Stay tuned!

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

For our core force that puts us at:

1 Soviet
1 US

Good Hunting.

MR

budd

Post by budd »

Looking forward to it, enjoyed your panzer command DAR. The more screenshots the better.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

**budd** nice to see you in here! This is another little project I like. I believe this game has at least as much potential as PCO had. [&o]

I'm glad you liked my previous DAR. This one will be along the same lines as the one I did in PCO. There will be as many screen shots as I can get in it. [8D]

Good Hunting.

MR

Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm not sure of the feasibility of soliciting orders from the forum - too many conflicting requests and take too long imo. However, I would really like to see an AAR. It would go a long way to showcase the flow of the game.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

We did it twice for PCO. It worked fine. I think you'll find it an interesting experience.

Good Hunting.

MR

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Any news about the DAR??? you are going to be blue or red profet??? thanks.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Yes I'm confused now also. Here we have several threads about map making, modding etc but nothing about an AAR showcasing actual gameplay. This is a game about hypothetical conflict during the Cold War I presumed, not what people are going to do to mod the game afterwards or how easy it is to mod etc. Make a compelling game, with interesting and detailed gameplay, and the people will come and the game will get end up getting modded regardless, not let's focus on how easy it is to mod and entice people that way. If the gameplay isn't there then there will be no community, no matter how easy or accessible it is to mod.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Patience guys. Mad Russian has been out of town for the past two weeks. He will be back soon and is planning on getting his interactive DAR going. I am not a moddler, I am into game play. There has been a lot of work these past several weeks in refinning the combat model. We are working hard on getting the game play as realistic as possible. As you can imagine it is not easy with a hypothetical war to know exactly what to expect. But a lot of research and hard work has been done to make the results as realistic as possible considering the limitations. I am excited to see Mad Russian's DAR.

The game was designed with the moddler in mind to make it mod friendly. But you are correct, the game will not fly if the game play is not there. From what I have experienced with the game, I believe that many will be surprised and pleased with the game play.
Charles Belva
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

As Mad Russian says in his first post, he is looking to start the DAR around the 27th once he is back and settled in from his vacation. That will give folks like Ron a chance to see more of the gameplay elements. Our lead programmer Rob is busy working on getting the Campaign interface up and running and also PBEM++ integration. Charles (cbelva) and I also keep him busy with little bugs and UI details we find. I'm working on getting all of the data ship shape and also making adjustments and improvements to the combat model as we test it. It is easier right now and helpful to use to get an idea of what you guys will want to mod and talk about some of the capabilities. This folds right into the way we structure folders and code many aspects of the game. It is also a bit difficult to show and tell about game play as that game play is being refined. I expect to be talking more about gameplay as we get into June and definitely more in July as we lead up to release.

By all means, if you have specific questions on gameplay, post away and we will do our best to answer.

Thanks!

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

I see, well, i dont know he is/was on vacations in a sunny siberian resort thanks to "Stalin infinite vacations system" [:D]
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Don't knock the sunny siberian resort. I spent several years there and loved it!!![:D]
Charles Belva
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Back today. More in the next couple of days.

Good Hunting

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I will be creating a map for this DAR. While I finish it this week we will set the forces. This map will be included in the game at release. We may even release this scenario with it if there is enough interest. [X(]

At this moment I have one vote for our units to be Soviet and one vote for our units to be US.

Anyone else have a preference?

Good Hunting.

MR

Koesj

Post by Koesj »

I'd like to see you using Soviet forces, just to get to know how you'd handle them [:)]
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Koesj

I'd like to see you using Soviet forces, just to get to know how you'd handle them [:)]

+1...sounds good hopefully a ME; (if not an ME then I vote for whoever is attacking).
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”