Questions on Pelton's HQ disbanding

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Maximeba

Questions on Pelton's HQ disbanding

Post by Maximeba »

Just wondering, if you disband all your corp hq's, do you have enough Army hq's to support your fornt line units with artillery? Do, hq's, need to be next to the front line units to give support or is that only for artillery. Are you not jeopordizing your your leaders, after all, you only have so many Army HQ leaders? Do you have extra support units since you have fewer hqs and if you do have extra are you disbanding them?
I have never played the Axis, so if I am asking any stupid questions I apologize. I really do not know what they can and can not do. I am asking these questions so I can pass this info onto my German opponent, in the hope of making our current game even better for both of us.
Wes
Allies Forever
rmonical

RE: Questions on Pelton's HQ disbanding

Post by rmonical »

there are a number of issue with disbanding all of your corps HQ. IMHO, it is only a spot solution.
You do not have enough Armies. So you need corps for Armies that are over the command limit.
I have some corps reporting directly to AG HQ for this reaqson. The problem is when the Germans are attacking and those corps combine with an army, the effectiveness hit is large.
It only works if your front for the army is about 11 hexes.
I had most of my Pz Grp 2 divisions reporting to Guderian and he got killed.

I do like it for getting rid of a lousy corps commander with the expenditure of a single AP.

Later kin the war, it may be easier. But in 41 and 42 you need to be very careful.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

A unit can be as far as 15 hexes away from an Army-level HQ to avoid distance-based penalties to leader checks, but a unit still needs to be within 5 hexes of its HQ to be eligible for Support Unit commitment, regardless of the HQ type.

This means that while attaching Axis units directly to Army-level HQs is great for more reserve activations, it's not nearly as cool if you're on the offensive, because you will have way too many units that won't be eligible for SU commitment because they'll be too spread-out. And even when you're on the defensive, you still have to monitor your frontage and distance-to-HQ very closely.

In any event, I believe Pelton disbands the Corps HQs primarily to free up all that extra manpower tied up in Support Squads - there's nothing stopping you from just not using the Corps HQs, attaching units directly to Army HQs, but leaving the Corps HQs intact in case you need to use them.
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Disbanding HQ's doesn't become too beneficial until the axis are on the defense. The reason, as mentioned above, is that frontage and distance of your front is very fluid in the early years but more compact from 43 onwards. I usually keep the armies within command limit and use excess Corps (Hint: Use the one's that withdraw at a late date as they cannot be disbanded) and attach them to AG or OKH. There are plenty of excess Corps that can be disbanded and worthless leaders that can be fired to make this strategy viable.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I just don't like the whole thing. It's totally unrealistic. No way the the Germans would have done this. I accept it has certain merrit in games terms (and it should not ). But I use a HR that bans it, no matter which side I play.
Maximeba

Post by Maximeba »

I was wondering if disbanding corp. hq's create 400k in extra men and you don't lose command structure will it work if you disband a layer of air hq's?
Wes
Allies Forever

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”