Transport planes operational losses

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MrBlizzard

Transport planes operational losses

Post by MrBlizzard »

I'm experiencing heavy operations losses for my transport planes. I'm wondering if it's normal and is the same for you? E.g. I'm In october 42 and I've lost 40!! pilots for each of my L3Y2 sentai (and a bigger number of planes of course).
I've trained pilots in transport mission and they're more than 60 now but I cannot stop losses. every 2 missions my sentais lose a pilot for operations (no interceptions, no AA). It's really more than I can afford!!!
Any advice? What are your stats?
Blizzard
dr.hal

RE: Transport planes operational losses

Post by dr.hal »

There are a number of factors that might come into play. The biggest is with your opponent. Is your opponent stationing a long distance CAP over the base or hex you are trying to supply???? Interdiction is the name of the game here.
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

Thanks Hal, you're always present!
The answer is no, no enemy CAP at all, my opponent has done a Sir Robin strategy and his planes heve simply disappeared, hidden somewhere...
there must be something different to explain all these accidents
Blizzard
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Pilot fatigue is another possibility. Do they get a rest every now and then so they aren't worn out.
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

Check air base size. If they under sized at either end I believe you will get increased ops losses.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Not just the pilots need rest the airframes do as well. Many people forget that part. Machines do fall apart without proper rest and care too [:D]
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

Check air base size. If they under sized at either end I believe you will get increased ops losses.
Ok , how big has to be a AF for 2E transport planes ?
Blizzard
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

Another thing: at what altitude your TP planes operate? In my previous campaign I've horrible losses
when setting mission altitude at 6.000; but losses decreases a lot when I ordered to fly at higher
altitude, 9.000/10.000 (and in my opinion, pilot's fatigue MUST stay under 20-25, whit a/c fatigue under
40/45). Regards.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: MrBlizzard

I'm experiencing heavy operations losses for my transport planes. I'm wondering if it's normal and is the same for you? E.g. I'm In october 42 and I've lost 40!! pilots for each of my L3Y2 sentai (and a bigger number of planes of course).
I've trained pilots in transport mission and they're more than 60 now but I cannot stop losses. every 2 missions my sentais lose a pilot for operations (no interceptions, no AA). It's really more than I can afford!!!
Any advice? What are your stats?

compared to combat both nav search and transport produce an almost crazy rate of op losses. My Catalinas on search for example are within the highest numbers of aircraft (probably the highest when going with loss per employed aircraft). No, they are not flying extended - not even max normal - range, no, not all are flying - usually 60% - and no, the pilots are not overfatigued and no, I am not losing them to enemy Cap over enemy territory.

Like transports, they just drop out of the sky like flies.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

AF size 4 is best, size 3 if the need high but losses will go up. bigger the better...as you would guess.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Most of the folks above have covered all the other "things" I was thinking of. But that loss rate does seem to be high but we don't know "out of how many" the loss rate is about. What was your "N" in mathematical terms? I too have lost C-47s trying supply. My rate was high if it was parachuted in and high when the fight was on extended range. Hal
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Most of the folks above have covered all the other "things" I was thinking of. But that loss rate does seem to be high but we don't know "out of how many" the loss rate is about. What was your "N" in mathematical terms? I too have lost C-47s trying supply. My rate was high if it was parachuted in and high when the fight was on extended range. Hal

Patrol and transport planes, at least Allied, have low durability ratings compared to other multi-engine. They have rates comaprable to many fighters. But fighters are usually shot down before durability becomes an issue. Patrol planes can fly for two years withoiut being shot at. That's always been my assumption at least. Combined with total hexes flown, which might affect airframe fatigue; rest is usually assiged by pilot fatigiue, not airframe, and since patrol and transport don't engage in combat thier pilots don't accumulate fatigue as fast.
The Moose
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

For patrol aircraft, I fly them at 10,000 feet to avoid the medium flak. 25mm has a ceiling of 7,000 and 40mm a ceiling of 9,000. I feel this will cut down on ops losses due to damage from flak.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
DaveConn

Post by DaveConn »

In addition to what others have mentioned, remember to keep a watch on weather at the origination and destination airports; from my experience, that can have a major effect on ops losses. When I am flying supplies "over the hump", I usually stand down if the weather is bad at either end (also allows rest for pilots and airframes).
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

none of the things mentioned in this thread matter much for normal unopposed operation of transport aircraft. In the end no matter what you do, your transport groups will see ops losses that far exceed any other type of aircraft. (if the enemy is capping a base you're trying to transport to/from then you'll see the normal ops losses plus additional losses due to the cap).

Just accept this inevitability, adjust your operations tempo to account for production of transport aircraft, and don't worry about training their pilots (since you'll lose them in droves anyways, and transport skill doesn't seem to do anything).
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Sredni

none of the things mentioned in this thread matter much for normal unopposed operation of transport aircraft. In the end no matter what you do, your transport groups will see ops losses that far exceed any other type of aircraft. (if the enemy is capping a base you're trying to transport to/from then you'll see the normal ops losses plus additional losses due to the cap).

Just accept this inevitability, adjust your operations tempo to account for production of transport aircraft, and don't worry about training their pilots (since you'll lose them in droves anyways, and transport skill doesn't seem to do anything).

This is the kind of post that sends newbies off to die.

I would be shocked if transport skill did not correlate with lower ops losses.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Sredni

This is the kind of post that sends newbies off to die.

I would be shocked if transport skill did not correlate with lower ops losses.

Same. When I use my transport squadrons, I work to minimize pilot and plane fatigue. This means:

-as short a distance as possible between origin/destination bases
-as many pilots as possible
-as much aviation support as I can spare

Of course, this applies to more than just transport units...
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Op losses will come from distance/range they fly.
If you are flying at extended ranges, there will be more.
AF size flying from.
Leader of air group. Having a really lousy leader will effect op losses.
Setting - do you have 10 to 20% set on Rest?? When I fly my PBYs on Naval Search, I have 20 to 30% on Rest. Even transport planes and pilots get fatigued. Check on the "Planes" in the bottom left hand corner to see how each plane is.
[center]Image[/center]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

I've experienced what the OP had posted in my game & I'm in mar 46 but they were never of much use to me other than maybe a few paradrops so basically sat out & trained the whole war. Only thing I can say is that it might have to do w/ pilot exp & it's much harder for any non fighter unit to gain pilot exp so ops losses can be higher. My only other explanation might be something in the a/c durablity & "die" rolls are off w/ mission type.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”