Bug?: Another empire colonizing in my territory

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

MartialDoctor

Bug?: Another empire colonizing in my territory

Post by MartialDoctor »

I had something strange happen to me in my latest game. I was exploring my territory to look for potential colonizable planets, only to find that another empire had already colonized within what had been my territory. Once I found him, the territorial borders obviously changed.

How would this be possible? Doesn't the territorial border prevent such things?
Bingeling

RE: Bug?: Another empire colonizing in my territory

Post by Bingeling »

Was the colony system unexplored?

Territory is buggy when you have unexplored areas. It paints the "big circle", but if you turn it off, you may see some systems controlled by others.

Colonization should be ruled by the "hidden borders", so the colony was probably there from the start.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

You need to visit the system itself before you claim it afaik.
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Territory is buggy when you have unexplored areas. It paints the "big circle", but if you turn it off, you may see some systems controlled by others.

Colonization should be ruled by the "hidden borders", so the colony was probably there from the start.

Yes, it hadn't been explored yet. However, it wasn't there from the start as I had already stolen the territory map from the empire who had colonized there...

Can an empire colonize in an area that you haven't explored yet even if it's in your territory?
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

You need to visit the system itself before you claim it afaik.

Ah, ok. Got it.

Thanks [8D]
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: MartialDoctor
ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Yes, it hadn't been explored yet. However, it wasn't there from the start as I had already stolen the territory map from the empire who had colonized there...

Can an empire colonize in an area that you haven't explored yet even if it's in your territory?
It could have been an independent. You can invade in another empire's territory.

I had "yellow" sectors in my AAR. I doubt the gizzies had been there already, but I can not be sure.

Image from before entering hyperspace (warp age), but after stealing pirate territory map.

Notice the yellow markers on the systems to the right.
A tad confusing, though, as the lower/right independent has no color. Possibly the gizzies had visited the two yellow systems with warp engines?

Once I had grabbed the independent and found the Gizzie capital, the world looked like this:

The two systems from the first image is the one with the pirate base, and the one below. But the independent was also way inside the full, yellow, circle.

The game of course painted my circle across those yellow systems just fine. Better keep the correct options on to see where the border really is [8|]
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

Yeah, after thinking about it, it could have been an independent. Although, judging from the population make up, it probably was not.

Thanks for the clarification, guys.

Return to “Tech Support”