Some modding questions. Names?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

AstroCat

Some modding questions. Names?

Post by AstroCat »

Ok, I'm getting into modding or at least understanding the workings of DW. Fun game so far, btw. :)

I see there is a races folder which contains the 22 race's .txt files. In this file, among other things it tells the race which random ship design names(designs.txt) to use , which family ship graphics (familyxx folders), etc...

What are family folders family22-family26 used for, or are those just extras for the player to use if they wanted?

Also I noticed the Design names are all very "human" in style, I was curious why some of the non-humans aren't more "alien" in style?

I also noticed the shipNames.txt, I believe if you fill this in it will only work for your own race and not the NPC races. My question is where do the ship names come from for the NPCs and your own ships if you don't fill them in?

Thanks.

I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV

Return to “Design and Modding”