seeking strategy tips for Entente

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

GreyWolf16

seeking strategy tips for Entente

Post by GreyWolf16 »

Any sure fire way to know that the Royal Navy is succesfully blockading Germany? I have certainly had succesful interceptions of incoming german commerce but how can I know that my blockaide is airtight? (seatight?)

Also - I now know where to look to see that my artillary is using poison gas but how can I tell if/when the bad guys are using it against me?

freeboy

RE: seeking strategy tips for Entente

Post by freeboy »

the entire world goes poison at the same time, well there is a one turn delay.. the first to get gets the stronger attack...
"Tanks forward"
GreyWolf16

Post by GreyWolf16 »

Wait - I thought that the various gasses were dependent on the research done by each country...no?
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

its based as far as I can tell on first come.. which makes sense, I wouldn't get affected as badly after outfitting troops against mustard gas after you attacked me once, or if I developed it

maybe a tester can chime in here now????
anyone
"Tanks forward"
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

1914 scenario.

When do you buy first cannons as entente ? Do you invest anything in research ?
As UK do you tend to orient on the mediterranean sea or try to help out france ?
prince_blucher

Post by prince_blucher »

I'm hijacking this thread as I'm asking for the same advice as the OP.

So, I have played two full play-through's as Entente and I'm on the easy setting and I'm loosing--which is ok but I'm guessing I should be able to win the game. I'm new to hex based games.

So what am I doing wrong? Or do I just keep playing and it will come?

What is the best strategy for each front? I'm generally in a holding pattern with France whilst gaining tech and waiting for BEF reinforcements.

How early should I get arty? Should I build garrison or infantry units--garrison get chewed up quite easily.

How should GB play Egypt? Defensive? How many units do I need there? How should RN be used best?

How should I play Russia? Defensive? What builds do I need? How many units should I place in the Caucasus Front?

Any specific tips would be useful like rush this tech or get arty asap etc.

Also my French MP number goes yellow or orange--I guess this falls below the 70% of original--I cant seem to build many French units before this happens--I loose some to German onslaughts early on.

Thanks
morbius221

Post by morbius221 »

here are my mothod for kicking ass in this game on hard.

disband all millitia. they are to weak and easily killed by ai. you dont want to waist resources
on reinforcing them since they are weak. plus all they do is break and cause break in your lines.
also by disbanding them, u get some man power back that u can use to get infantry.

get artilery asap. 1st or 2nd turn. 2 at least for each main nation.
build up your bombs.

make sure your economy is around 25+ - 20+ per turn per main nation.

i also disband cruiser and subs for additional man power.

the disbanding method lets me build new infantry, artilery and bombs.

enemy kills is the key to winning.

if you are going to attack, make sure u can get a kill other wise you are just waisting resources.

best way to get a kill. have artilery fire, then attack with 2 or 3 infantry to get the kill.

as germany i build up a straight defensive line on the france side with all infantry. i take my artilery and send
it all at start to help austria. the idea is to take free up austria as quick as possible to it can help attack russia and italy.

so for me
austria front is my main objective, then russian front and last france front.
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

Hi.
Try not to attack in winter unless you are sure that you will gain what you want.

Russians are to weak to attack in the first year of war so buld up your forces to attack in spring of 1915. you will need at last one arty to break the line.

I use a lot of garrisons becouse thay can hold the line in some point- thous easy to defnd points like forts, mountains and possitions which can be attacked from only one direction. Also in Russia you can't build line useing onlu corpses...

Bombers are good against arty and medium in supporting ground attack but can be usefull whe used with care.

Try to coordinate your attacks- when you start offensive in 1915 try to do it same time on both fronts- eastern and western.

In Egypt you can't loose Sues Cannal. I usually defend this line and defend second with Russians garrisons.

Make sure to build trenches in defence line and try to keep reserves to switch damaged units.

Sorround enemy if you can!!! Kill enemy if you can!!!

Order of attack with multiply units: bombers, fighters, arty/ battleships, cavalry (if casulties will be not to high- they like to die when attacking entrenched enemy :) )infantry, garrison (if cavalry can loose to much than first infantry and in last cavalry)

Try to attack with double line- first line kill enemy and second line unit takes empty hex. Be carefull if you are in range of enemy arty think twice before takeing empty hex- counterttack can kill you- allmoust allways kills when you take hex with damaged unit.

P.S. This is what I use in MP- I don't play with AI so don't know how it will work- but works against humans usually ;)

P.S. II Playing with humans is much mor funny ;)

P.S. III Good luck Commander :D
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

I'm also playing vs humans and I must agree that it is much more interesting.
Garrisons aren't that bad when used wisely. They should not form the backbone of an army but they can hold hexes which aren't exposed to multiple enemey units.

How to sucessfully combat Otomans as UK ? Do you invade from Kuwait ?
I don't understand how can I bring my cruisers to the persian gulf ?
I can't invade Kuwait due to lack of cruisers and supply..
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

I ussualy don't attack Ottomans unless I have stalmate with no vission of breaking it on other fronts. There is VERY hard to defeat Ottomans- when you think you have them Bulgarians enters war and everything comes to the point where it all begun. Also if you send large russian expedition it means you are open in european front line. You can't send ships to Persian gulf except transport. I saw about four full scale offensives on Ottomans (in MP games I've played) and all was finnished in British retreat but it can be a good combination with offensive in France or Itally.

If I attack on Ottomans i usualy cut railway at the coast near Adana in the mountains- it slows any reinforcements by railway (in 1916 CP can send there arty and it can be dengerous to Sues Cannal.) Same time some garrisons trying to take empty coast cities are a good distraction. Adana is usually a place where British are stopped but I saw them go furter after my bad strategy as CP :) )
I've only once forced Ottomans to surrender befor other CP natios by landing between Roupel and Gallipoly and than takeing Gallipoly by surprise in 1918 :D- but I lost a game becouse this don't gave me a victory point... :/

In short words- I usually make soem offensive actions against ottomans preventng them from attacking Russians back or sending too much to european fronts. Main goal is to keep Suess Cannal open for convoys. This task is easy untill CP send arty there...
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Ivan Grozny

I'm also playing vs humans and I must agree that it is much more interesting.
Garrisons aren't that bad when used wisely. They should not form the backbone of an army but they can hold hexes which aren't exposed to multiple enemey units.

How to sucessfully combat Otomans as UK ? Do you invade from Kuwait ?
I don't understand how can I bring my cruisers to the persian gulf ?
I can't invade Kuwait due to lack of cruisers and supply..

For one; No warships what-so-ever have access to the Persian Gulf.

two; Transports can keep Entente abutting ground units in full supply.

Three; Kuwait can be taken easily, if timed just right, but, have not tried it yet in 1.40 patch yet (might have new small garrisons).

Four; Defeating the Ottomans in AI mode is do-able, in MP against an experienced player, is a stretch, however, if you do not pressure the Ottomans in MP, they could come around and kick your butt.

Five; New to game (1.40) is Turk artillery, have not seen it yet, no doubt it will change the game.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
blackdarkhorse

Post by blackdarkhorse »

Playing with human is more interesting. I like Garrisons in some cases. I am wondering whether I can bring cruisers to the persian gulf? I am lack of cruisers and supply. Can you help me?
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: blackdarkhorse

Playing with human is more interesting. I like Garrisons in some cases. I am wondering whether I can bring cruisers to the persian gulf? I am lack of cruisers and supply. Can you help me?
Hi BDhorse!

Have not played 1.52 yet, been waiting for the release of 1.60 before getting back into the game. Kirk has (had) been experimenting with getting Entente warships to deploy in the Persian Gulf with mixed results. CAs would be preferable to deploy there, but at this time they cannot. I'll have to back off on using other troop transports as a source of supply for disembarked troops there too, however, Turkish CAs can deploy there at the Kuwait Port hex, but not of much use doing so, except to guard against French or English troop transport invasions in the Persian Gulf region, or perhaps shore bombardments, which would be rare in that sector.. In the immediate sense: Capturing Kuwait get's you to half supply, it would be a coup to capture Bagdad (capital city) to attain full supply, unlikely to happen against the AI, but possible with an over confident MP opponent who leaves his ass bare in that neck of the woods with no Turk PPs left in the pot. Getting Persia to join the Entente (1914) is practically impossible, except in a later year scenario. I would not count out a future patch that might address deploying Entente ships in the Persian Gulf.

Good luck, Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “The War Room”