Character system need a kind of overhaul

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Speeder

Character system need a kind of overhaul

Post by Speeder »

I mean, in general it is really nice...

But some things are HORRIBLE.

First, managing spy missions and other characters from the same screen can get maddenly crazy when you have too much characters.

Second, managing governors from that screen suck too, it would be nice if you could manage them from colonies screen.

Third, managing researchers also suck (But less), would be nice if you could manage them from research stations screen (screen that by the way is mostly empty anyway... :P)

And... so on.

Also, the stats are TOO random, and this combinated with some how things work is really annoying, for example you have to dismiss several leaders in a row before getting one that is not bad...

And if you have a empire with non-dictatorship government types, then you are screwed, you will get frequently elections (or if you are a pirate, frequent coups) and lots of bad leaders.

The "academies" did improve those stuff a lot though...

But the thing that most annoy me: training spies is TOO HARD depending on their stats (ie: all missions you can give them to improve a certain skill, will fail... specially bad for the psyops skill that only applies to a certain mission that is too hard to do anyway), and training "counterintelligence" spies is impossible it seems, I frequently get spies that are "untested" and ahs only counter as possible skill, if I leave them as counterintelligence mission, they remain untested forever, the only way to remove the "untested" is send them to a couple missions...
Shark7

RE: Character system need a kind of overhaul

Post by Shark7 »

Would being able to filter characters by type so that only the type you want to see would be displayed help? Like the ship and bases menus are done?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
PWOFalcon

Post by PWOFalcon »

I agree. I like the idea of having characters. Adds a little Rp fun to it. But a filter system would be nice.

What also would be cool if you could create and design your own leader (and maybe other members cabin members.)
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

You can order the characters by role (or at least, you could in Legends) so you will have an overseeable group of governors, spies or admirals together.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Sirian

You can order the characters by role (or at least, you could in Legends) so you will have an overseeable group of governors, spies or admirals together.
You can still do that, and that is the only way to make it manageable.
I have to agree though, the vast majority of characters are anything but a boon to your empire. Once the Leader has just started getting some experience you get a new one. "Oh Look! Here comes President Drunken Gambler Xenophobe!"
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I like that characters have faults as well as bonus traits.It gives them some flavour rather than +10 farming MOO2 leader with a race picture.
Mesthione

Post by Mesthione »

I always jokingly name my leader "Zaphod Beeblebrox" and he always gets ousted as 'incompetent'. Figures.
lancer

Post by lancer »

If every character was a winner there wouldn't be much point to the system. Bit like the weather, you need the variety.

Cheers,
Lancer
Speeder

Post by Speeder »

The problem is I usually get losers... Loads of them.
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

I'll be happy if I have the ability to assassinate those "losers". Arrange their death, frame an enemy empire... rally my people against them, reduce war weariness, etc. ...Or someone gets word of it, lets it known what I'm planning and causes a civil war cause I wanted to get rid of a bad leader lol.
MartialDoctor

Post by MartialDoctor »

Well, I agree with the fact that characters may get to be a hassle late game as there are so many. Also, for spies, it would be nice if they could accumulate some, but not too much, experience through performing counterintelligence... however, other than that, I agree with the others. I enjoy the way that characters are in this game. It's great to have some characters who are good, some who are bad, and some who are ugly [:)]

And I haven't had the problem you say of not gaining experience with spies. Simply sending them on constant missions accumulates good experience.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

I just played a game where an agent went hardcore, over +60% in every spy skill, he was cruising round the galaxy blowing up pirate bases and assasinating scientists without breaking a sweat.

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer
Once the Leader has just started getting some experience you get a new one. "Oh Look! Here comes President Drunken Gambler Xenophobe!"

You only get new leaders regularly if you're playing with a government that take elections, if you play as a monarchy or whatever it's not often you lose your leader, unless they get killed and have their throne taken of course
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Mesthione

I always jokingly name my leader "Zaphod Beeblebrox" and he always gets ousted as 'incompetent'. Figures.

LOL [:D]

Does he get replaced with Arthur Dent?
Distant Worlds Fan

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Speeder

The problem is I usually get losers... Loads of them.

You can dismiss them...even the leader. The leader will always be replaced.
Distant Worlds Fan

TrooperCooper

Post by TrooperCooper »

Watch out for those demoralizer traits. Those cause skill degeneration to other chars at the same location... ugh. [:@] Dismiss or re-locate to a lone starbase if possible.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: TrooperCooper

Watch out for those demoralizer traits. Those cause skill degeneration to other chars at the same location... ugh. [:@] Dismiss or re-locate to a lone starbase if possible.

And the opposite is true of a character with the inspiring presence trait...you want to gather the flock around those guys.
Distant Worlds Fan

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”