I absolutely hate silvermists

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Florestan

I absolutely hate silvermists

Post by Florestan »

I want events. I want pirates (Edit:) and the monsters. I don't want silvelmists, that are all but fun to play.
Could someone please explain me how can I get rid of them, mod them out?
joeyeti

RE: I absolutely hate silvermists

Post by joeyeti »

There is a little slider during the Game Setup phase...
Joe
Osito

Post by Osito »

As long as you don't mind losing all space monsters, just change the space monsters option so they don't appear. You can still have pirates and events.
If you want other space monsters, but not the silvermist, then I don't know how to do that.
Osito
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Also, when you have to fight silvermists, you really need ion cannons. Those are more effective against the silvermist.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Silvermist is a disaster, so if you disable that option during game setup, you will not encounter them.
(You also loose some other events and Legendary Pirates in the process...)

However - once you figure out how to deal with them, they are not that big of a threat - Fast ships with Ion cannons has been mentioned, though they are only truly effective if you have some good techs. Early and Mid-game they may not be powerful or fast enough.

I prefer 3-10 ships with lots of fighters to deal with one. How many you need depends on tech level.

Once you see the mist moving towards a ship - jump it a short distance - then mist will then switch targets so you jump the first ship back, and jump the new target away. Sooner or later the mist may also target fighters, and as it will struggle to kill one (due to the fighter's high speed), it is often a cakewalk when that happens.

This takes some practice, good timing (and casualties) especially at low tech levels, so avoid it for as long as you can. If you encounter one early it will always be big, big trouble.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Good info above. They also patrol limited areas, it is just a bit sad if that is the only area you can expand into. Carriers (fighters) works well.

To disable them, remove either space monsters or disasters, silvermist requires both.
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

is that really difficult to delete them with editor ?
Florestan

Post by Florestan »

Thanks for your answers. But I forgot to say I wanted the monsters too.
Delete them with the editor is what I usually do. But the AI cannot do that, and it already suck enough as it is, once you understand you need to spam colony ship early to win. Also, you learn you have a silvermist either when you spawn them yourself, or once they've eaten one your colonies. And there is no way to find them once they did if you don't have anything left in that system.
Having to design and build an entire fleet just to take out one is just too much for me.
So, there is no way to mod them out…
Until now, I disabled events to avoid them. Then, once more, I forgot to uncheck the events after the update (why the hell must every patch wipe your preferences?) and found out the hard way after several hours of play. It killed my fun.
Florestan

Post by Florestan »

ORIGINAL: Mad Igor
And what do you think I do?
It feels like your answer is neither constructive nor respectful. If this is not to help, why is it for? You can see I'm already quite pissed off by my bad luck. Why do you come insulting me over that?
As always, I did consult the forum, and google before I posted. But, like every call for help I ever made on the internet, no one could help me.
Finding people to troll is never a problem, though.
So, why? Do you feel yourself more intelligent for it? Does it give you an impression of being worth more than someone else? I'll tell you this, “Mad” Igor: if you are in pain from a lack of self-esteem, even unconsciously, you won't gain any trying to raise by stepping on someone else, even if you manage to stomp the other one. But you may raise by speaking about this to a psychotherapist. And this would not make you a mad man, only a better man. How would Better Igor sound like?
Now, I feel better having defended myself, if anything.
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

i didn't think anything,cuz you didn't state anything.
You can see I'm already quite pissed off by my bad luck
yea,so better throw it at some random guy.
Now, I feel better having attacked someone, if anything.
fixed
PS:
It feels like your answer is neither constructive nor respectful
Why do you come insulting me over that?
sorry for not grovel b4 you [&o]
PPS: you may answer to that or not,i don't care. i sure wont do that to next msg of this type,cuz i have no intention to make a hollywar out of this thread. i also have no hard feeling as long as you see your wrong.
rjord

Post by rjord »

ORIGINAL: Florestan
ORIGINAL: Mad Igor
And what do you think I do?
It feels like your answer is neither constructive nor respectful. If this is not to help, why is it for? You can see I'm already quite pissed off by my bad luck. Why do you come insulting me over that?
As always, I did consult the forum, and google before I posted. But, like every call for help I ever made on the internet, no one could help me.
Finding people to troll is never a problem, though.
So, why? Do you feel yourself more intelligent for it? Does it give you an impression of being worth more than someone else? I'll tell you this, “Mad” Igor: if you are in pain from a lack of self-esteem, even unconsciously, you won't gain any trying to raise by stepping on someone else, even if you manage to stomp the other one. But you may raise by speaking about this to a psychotherapist. And this would not make you a mad man, only a better man. How would Better Igor sound like?
Now, I feel better having defended myself, if anything.

There is no need to talk like that. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with what Mad Igor said and if you think there was you are reading something into his reply that is not there. Don't be so defensive... people are here to help you.

Roy
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

I find them very easy to deal with. As soon as you find one, research basic ion cannon tech, then build yourself a task force of ships with only 1 shield but maybe 30 or 40 armor and maybe 10 ion cannons each. Give them the fast align warp drive if you have it as escaping must be a priority if you need them to survive. Build a fleet of 6-10 of these depending on your silvermist problem, and you will be able to destroy the buggers with near immunity. Make sure to leave some behind to defend any worlds within the silvermist's territory, and be thorough and explore all nearby stellar phenomena, leaving a scout at each so you can be sure the mist is eradicated. In my last Legends game I let the mist run rampant in a part of the galaxy I wanted but couldn't colonize just yet. Its a bit of a cheat since the AI can't handle them at all and I'll be able to walk in and claim 5-8 planets whenever I want them.

Edit: If you aren't much into ship design this is a good intro. Its at least as easy as editing out the mists, and you only haev to design the ship once. Start with the basic destroyer or cruiser the game gives you, remove ALL other weapons, all but one shield, and load it up with a bunch of ion cannons and armor. You'll want to look at the amount of energy your weapons are using and make sure that your energy use from weapons + your energy use when sprinting (in the speed chart) are less than your reactor output - your static energy usage. Don't add energy collector energy to this as it isn't helpful in combat as far as I know. If you've done this, you'll have efficient mistkillers... give the ship some extra thrusters or engines if you have space left over, and add crew quarters and life support as needed (it'll tell you if you're missing something or if your ship can't be built for some reason).
Florestan

Post by Florestan »

ORIGINAL: rjord
There is no need to talk like that. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with what Mad Igor said
Thank you for your effort to help me and Igor.
But like I said, to me, his words felt offensive. I still think they are. I know I kind of threw grenades to kill a fly (the fly representing only the offense, not the offender). As I am somewhat instructed in some ways of psychology, I was conscious of this while writing and I know why I did and that I indeed needed to talk like that!
I'm sorry if it moved you enough to feel the need to come to defend Igor. I tried to make my statement to be as instructing as I could, knowing I would have very little chance to be understood, if any (I don't imply any lack of intelligence or anything here). I also knew that, if correct, I would cause much hurt and feeling to Igor, whether it helped him or not.
Igor, (I find it too hard to belittle you as Mad, even if you seem to want to be identified as such) it was not about waging war against you. I still don't think I was wrong. You were needlessly aggressive in your statement. And at that very moment of great personal turmoil, for reasons you (and distant worlds) are of course innocent, not to react would have hurt me more than you may think. It was less difficult, and more healthy for me to risk passing as a psycho in this far away forum than just swallow my outsized but solid feeling.
But I must confess I am kind of sorry for the anger I caused you, as my not so innocent “victim”. But what I said, even in a very aggressive manner, I still respectfully believe to be true, especially after reading your answer.
Of the great many that are in moral pain (sadly a big majority of the humanity, as studies show), I am one of the too few people that did try to ease it with the help of psychotherapists. I learned a lot from them. One even tried to convince me I should become one. So, when I say to someone he should consider consulting, it is not an insult. More like a hopeless wish people would consult and successfully heal so they would feel better (and not attack me anymore). At least, the hurt the revelation may cause when I'm right may convince them to stop bugging me without reason.

Return to “Design and Modding”