Question about per warp start

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

mikeCK

Question about per warp start

Post by mikeCK »

Before I dig in for a long game, I just want to verify that if I start as an empire in the shadows per-warp era...eventually, after research, I will have the tech that you start with in a normal start. I will be able to fly around between the starts like a normal game.

Basically, I don't want to be low tech forever
Erik Rutins

RE: Question about per warp start

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yes, that's correct.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Yes, you'll eventually end up with in the normal Tech Trees.
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

One more: in order to research hyperdrive, it's says "requires exploration" is that a tech that I didn't see or does it mean that I must actually go explore something? Yes, I'm an idiot
Resan

Post by Resan »

Yes, you need to explore your home system. Should find what you need there
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

ORIGINAL: mikeCK

One more: in order to research hyperdrive, it's says "requires exploration" is that a tech that I didn't see or does it mean that I must actually go explore something? Yes, I'm an idiot

Zoom out a little so that you can see your entire system - Look for two planets with an icon of 3 white bricks next to them. Either of these contains the "exploration" that you need to start researching Hyperdrive technology.

The easiest way is to build two explorer ships and manually right click each planet and pick "explore planet". Leaving them automated seems to make them fly all over the system without any priorities.
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

So how much pre-warp tech is there? Are there a lot of new techs at the beginning part of the tech trees, or are there only a handful and then you're back to the standard start? I like the thought of starting small. Thanks!
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Castinar

Post by Castinar »

Well, you start with no colonization ability (must research), in system thrusters only (very slow just to move across system). Your first "warp" capability is very limited, you're able to hit just a couple stars in your immediate vicinity until you manage to research the "normal" hyper-drives you're used to in post-shadows era (or, is it pre shadows? :D)

Weapons start out weaker than the standard start of Maxos blaster/concussion missiles as well. I'm sure there are a couple other areas that you need for "normal" warp-era space exploration as well (your ship cargo/crew components, for example, start off smaller as well).
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

Thanks!
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”